Getting to Rum Point

geneparmesan

My wife and I have been to Grand Cayman once before on a cruise. We had an excursion booked that included Stingray City, snorkeling, and Rum Point. However, when we arrived on the island, we were the only two booked on the excursion, so instead we were put on another excursion that did not include Rum Point.

We are now looking at another cruise that stops on Grand Cayman. So, my question is, what is the best way to get to Rum Point without doing the entire Stingray City excursion? I have seen some threads on renting a car. Is it possible to rent a waverunner that is not part of a guided tour? Is there some sort of "water taxi"? Or is renting a car simply the best way?

Thanks!

One thing to keep in mind when renting a car. You drive on the opposite side of the road and there are a bunch of round- abouts and very few stop lights. My husband almost got us killed two years ago when we rented a Jeep. Loved the drive out to Rum Point and back, but when we got back into the "city", YIKES!

We are going back in January 2015 to try a do-over and want to go back to Rum Point, but haven't quite figured out how we will get there. no way am I letting him drive!

One thing to keep in mind when renting a car. You drive on the opposite side of the road and there are a bunch of round- abouts and very few stop lights. My husband almost got us killed two years ago when we rented a Jeep. Loved the drive out to Rum Point and back, but when we got back into the "city", YIKES!

We are going back in January 2015 to try a do-over and want to go back to Rum Point, but haven't quite figured out how we will get there. no way am I letting him drive!

Haha, I'll keep that in mind! I've always wanted to try driving on the left, but I'm not sure my wife will find it as fun!

I adapted easily to driving on the left, and hubby was in charge of repeating 'left, left, left' anytime I turned. I always forgot to turn into the LEFT side of the driveways. The other 'challenging' things is the traffic circles. Our town is full of them, so they're old hat for us but difficult for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For most visitor new to driving on the left the city driving is easy. It is mostly follow-the-leader as there is usually a car in front of you in traffic.

But out in more rural areas they are more likely to get into trouble. Many have turned onto the wrong side of the road after pulling out of the Rum Point parking lot and this can be particularly dangerous as there is a curve in the road obstructing the view of oncoming traffic.

Sadly, there was even a fatal accident in West Bay a few years ago when a tourist was driving on the wrong side of a rural road. A passenger in the tourist's vehicle died in the head on collision.

We have rented a car before and I like going over with Nativeway. We do not get off the boat to swim with the stingrays, but once we get to Rum Point we have a nice lunch and enjoy Rum Point for about 2 hrs. It is a great way to go. Nativeway is safe, experienced with nice boats and the lunch over at Rum Point is included. In Dec.'13 it cost us $57pp. They also provided punch (with or without alcohol) and water on the way over and the way back. Great bunch of people.

We have rented a car before and I like going over with Nativeway. We do not get off the boat to swim with the stingrays, but once we get to Rum Point we have a nice lunch and enjoy Rum Point for about 2 hrs. It is a great way to go. Nativeway is safe, experienced with nice boats and the lunch over at Rum Point is included. In Dec.'13 it cost us $57pp. They also provided punch (with or without alcohol) and water on the way over and the way back. Great bunch of people.

Thinking about going out there as well but don't understand what you get with this cruise. Does it go to Stingray City as well as Rum Point?? If so, how much time did they spend at Stingray City? Thanks!

We did this excursion with Nativeway a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I think the cost for us was approximately $65 per person. That included a stop at Stingray City (maybe half an hour), a stop for snorkeling just off Rum Point (maybe another half hour) and then on to Rum Point for lunch and whatever else you wanted to do for a couple of hours. Lunch was included in the cost and was very good with large servings. We only had 8 persons on our boat and it was a very nice, relaxing day. The Nativeway staff/crew were excellent. We really only wanted to go to Rum Point, but could not find any way to do so without renting a car and driving ourselves, but we thoroughly enjoyed this excursion.

I adapted easily to driving on the left, and hubby was in charge of repeating 'left, left, left' anytime I turned. I always forgot to turn into the LEFT side of the driveways. The other 'challenging' things is the traffic circles. Our town is full of them, so they're old hat for us but difficult for some.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

On most islands it's just "Keep your shoulder to the shoulder". On GCM we rented a right-hand drive car for the week and that saying was out the window!

I just sent an email to Cayman Safari. I have driven in Grand Cayman before, and found it much easier to drive on the left side of the road when the drivers sit on the right side of the car (opposite from American).

I would prefer to have someone else do the driving. As of now, there are only myself & DH. If we could do the excursion with just the 2 of us, it would be fantastic. We have been to Rum Point 3 times, and it is wonderful. Our first visit was with Nativeways, and this is how I found this little peace of Heaven. I don't want to do the Stingray city or snorkeling, and prefer not to drive, so the Cayman Safari sounds like just the ticket.

We did this excursion with Nativeway a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I think the cost for us was approximately $65 per person. That included a stop at Stingray City (maybe half an hour), a stop for snorkeling just off Rum Point (maybe another half hour) and then on to Rum Point for lunch and whatever else you wanted to do for a couple of hours. Lunch was included in the cost and was very good with large servings. We only had 8 persons on our boat and it was a very nice, relaxing day. The Nativeway staff/crew were excellent. We really only wanted to go to Rum Point, but could not find any way to do so without renting a car and driving ourselves, but we thoroughly enjoyed this excursion.

Sounds like fun. Thanks for the info. I understand there is also a place to see starfish out my Rum Point (according to my sister) that I never knew about & am looking to see what I can find out about that too. Wondering if you saw any while snorkeling around Rum Point.