Can you give another passenger access to your cabin?

creed205

Hi,

We will be sailing in 10 days on the Emerald with my family (wife, 2 children) and my parents. We have rooms side by side but unfortunately they aren't joined. If we ask at the pursers desk will they give our cards access to their room and vice-versa?

Visit the pursers desk with one of your parents who I assume are occupying the other cabin. Your parents can ask them to give you a key card. Just keep it separate from yours because if you use it in error to buy something onboard the charge will go to their account.

Visit the pursers desk with one of your parents who I assume are occupying the other cabin. Your parents can ask them to give you a key card. Just keep it separate from yours because if you use it in error to buy something onboard the charge will go to their account.

We've done this when traveling with our kids, no problem. Don't imagine they would have a problem doing it for your parents. IME, the room cards don't look like your cruise card (they are just a generic blue, no name information, etc.) so it shouldn't be a problem mixing them up.

We have done this with our adult daughter. Just beware, sometimes the electronics act strangely and you end up locked out of your own room, while the other party can get in with the room key only card. It took several trips to the desk before everyone could access each other's cabin.

We've done this when traveling with our kids, no problem. Don't imagine they would have a problem doing it for your parents. IME, the room cards don't look like your cruise card (they are just a generic blue, no name information, etc.) so it shouldn't be a problem mixing them up.

Aren't your room card and cruise card are the same thing? ;)

Edited by msmoger

Aren't your room card and cruise card are the same thing? ;)

In the situation I am referring to, no, they are not. They do not program access to another person's room on your own cruise card. They give you an entirely separate card that allows access to the other room. So the "room" card and your cruise card are separate.

Also, OP, if I'm not mistaken the room cards are programmed just to open the other person's cabin. I would be surprised if they had charging privileges assigned to them.

We asked for a key to our parent's cabin and they were going to make it the same color as our cabin key so we asked for a different color. They obliged and then it was no problem telling the two apart. Our spare key to the folk's was for room access only, no charging allowed.

Jackie