COUNTDOWN to REGAL PRINCESS: News, updates, and general information!!!

dmwnc1959

DONE

Regal Princess is officially handed over to Princess Cruises at Monfalcone (May 11, 2014)

ON HER FINAL SEA DAY

4-night Pre-inaugural from Trieste to Kotor and Venice (May 16, 2014)

TOMORROW

Arrives in Venice for her Maiden Voyage (May 20, 2014) LIVE WEB CAM

:D

I'm excited to see this! :)

I have been around to check on some of shogun's questions. I went down as far as the elevator lobby on deck 6 aft and there appears to be nothing in the lobby area and clear pathway down to about the middle of the restaurant.

I will check outside sabatinis when I return to passenger services later. The bill was totalled wrong as they had an issue with the entire EPOS system on the first night so while they had corrected my beverage purchases from day 1, they didn't correct the other. They have told me they'll sort this now and i completely understand that this is the point of a shakedown cruise!

It seems odd that you can't review the account on the tv. You can so so via your phone, but that only shows your card, not everyone's in the cabin.

I do quite like the TV. I've spent a bit of chill time watching a few trashy movies on the on demand. It really is a step forward having an HD tv and a selection of films to watch on a whim.

We did have a minor incident this morning. Captain Perin kept everyone apprised of the situation. I also spotted it myself as there was a very strong smell of what I would describe as electrical burning in the aft staircase on decks 8 / 9 (the deck I was on) / 10.

This revealed two things to me. Firstly there are no alarm call points in the stairways themselves (I would have thought this would have been a good place to put one) and the fact that the courtesy phone in the stairways I was In lack any directory of useful numbers to call (as the printed listing panel next to the speed dials was missing). On reflection I guess passenger services would be 5000, but instead I dialled the only number I could think of, 911. They assured me the situation was already under control and the captain made a further announcement 10 minutes later confirming the the incident was resolved. I did check back and the nearest alarm call point was back into the corridor about 10 feet or so forward next to the fire door.

Anyway; that's just my observations. You've probably gathered that the location of emergency equipment is something I take a keen interest in (I'm the kind of person that counts seat rows on an aircraft!).

Anyway. Back to other items of note. I didn't go to the new show last night as I opted for an early night. However, my companion did and I'm assured that it was a very good show "not what you'd expect on a cruise ship" featuring recent modern music and lots of effects. I won't spoil what it contains, but it might be something you want to go and see.

Also in the guest laundry, I noticed the machines no longer take quarters but there is a token machine which you can only use with you cruise card. Now I guess my collection of American quarters is now redundant! But it's a useful new feature for those that want a low cost option. Just as an aside the machines in the laundry are free to use on P&O.

Lunch today will be courtesy of alfredos as I've never been on a ship that has one of these, followed by "the birth of a cruise ship" lecture at 1pm in Princess Live. The intranet is very useful for telling you what is happening now and a very useful feature.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Thank you to Robert Parnham (h3rjp) and Dave for those wonderful pictures!

The small pool on the aft looks awesome and I'm hoping that windbreak over the bar in the picture of the Retreat pool will do the trick to alleviate the problem there!

14032721929_a7d7f86809_b.jpg

Hi Dave and thanks as always. I may have missed it somewhere and if so sorry. Did they have a new Photo Contest for The Regal Princess or are the Passenger Photos in the hallways copies from The Royal Princess Photo Contest? :confused:

Hi Dave and thanks as always. I may have missed it somewhere and if so sorry. Did they have a new Photo Contest for The Regal Princess or are the Passenger Photos in the hallways copies from The Royal Princess Photo Contest? :confused:

There was no new contest advertised, and I went back to the original contest winners website to view those in the Canada/New England category to compare the framed photograph he took a picture of. It isn't shown as being displayed on Royal Princess, so I'm not sure if these were some of the other submissions that were considered, but maybe not selected since there were so many sent in.

Edited by dmwnc1959

ImageUploadedByForums1400502401.992453.jpg.a076b7e4d13a93944f2b43986a924f8a.jpg I'm guessing this is new too? It didn't pop up with this when I plugged my newer iPhone into the tv. Nice touch.

And yes I forgot to mention the passenger artwork in the hallways. It's a lovely touch. And I wish I'd entered now!

[ATTACH]313275[/ATTACH] I'm guessing this is new too? It didn't pop up with this when I plugged my newer iPhone into the tv. Nice touch.

And yes I forgot to mention the passenger artwork in the hallways. It's a lovely touch. And I wish I'd entered now!

Great Job!:) If you bump in to Rai Caluori on board, perhaps you can ask him if Princess will publish a Deck location index online for passenger photographs as they did for The Royal Princess.

Thanks You!

There was no new contest advertised, and I went back to the original contest winners website to view those in the Canada/New England category to compare the framed photograph he took a picture of. It isn't shown as being displayed on Royal Princess, so I'm not sure if these were some of the other submissions that were considered, but maybe not selected since there were so many sent in.

Dave, You are so smart and resourceful!!! ;)

Also in the guest laundry, I noticed the machines no longer take quarters but there is a token machine which you can only use with you cruise card. Now I guess my collection of American quarters is now redundant! But it's a useful new feature for those that want a low cost option. Just as an aside the machines in the laundry are free to use on P&O.

Thanks Robert & Dave for all the updates/pics, we are on Aloha deck we have an inside cabin next to the Laundrette, well not exactly the deck plan shows a space as wide as a cabin in between A627(it's the only deck with this cabins) , just wondered if your passing can you tell me if you think we would be able to hear anything, thanks x

Dave, You are so smart and resourceful!!! ;)

Just someone who has had lots of time on their hands in the past 16 months. ;)

If anyone in the U.S. wants to watch Regal Princess enter Venice, remember that Venice local time is 6 hours ahead of Eastern Daylight Time. We'll be able to watch this tonight!

Sunrise in Venice tomorrow morning is at 5:35am, so there's a real chance that Regal Princess will be passing by the web cam before then. :(

The earlier the Regal Princess enters Venice, the greater the chances we'll have of seeing her on the live webcam.

The webcam is inside the Basin of San Marco, near the canal that is the main entrance from the Canal Grande to the Arsenale (the historic Venetian shipyard from the times Venice was one of the most powerful cities of the Western world - 14th, 15th centuries. This is where they constructed the galleys of the Venetian fleet that dominated the Eastern Mediterranean). I've walked by (and cruised by, on a vaporetto) that spot any number of times. I am not an expert by any means, but I would think that ships might wait on the outside of the barrier island, the Lido, until dawn, and then enter the Venetian lagoon. Google maps shows the routes taken by ships when entering Venice. They have some sharp turns to make. That said, this can be done under cover of darkness. I was on the Ruby Princess back in June of 2010. The Ruby arrived in Venice and docked around midnight.

If anybody is a night owl, you just might see Regal Princess enter Venice. I'll be up until about 1:00 A.M., Eastern Daylight Time, to keep an eye on the webcam, but I have an 8:00 A.M. class to teach, so there are limits to how long I can wait and still be somewhat coherent the next day. (My students might have a different opinion from me on my level of coherence on any given day...)

Prof. Joan

The earlier the Regal Princess enters Venice, the greater the chances we'll have of seeing her on the live webcam....

Oh, I plan to be awake too although I'm about to crash for my shift later tonight. Hopefully I'll be awake by 8:30pm to see where she is on Marine Traffic and post an update here.

The earlier the Regal Princess enters Venice, the greater the chances we'll have of seeing her on the live webcam.

The webcam is inside the Basin of San Marco, near the canal that is the main entrance from the Canal Grande to the Arsenale (the historic Venetian shipyard from the times Venice was one of the most powerful cities of the Western world - 14th, 15th centuries. This is where they constructed the galleys of the Venetian fleet that dominated the Eastern Mediterranean). I've walked by (and cruised by, on a vaporetto) that spot any number of times. I am not an expert by any means, but I would think that ships might wait on the outside of the barrier island, the Lido, until dawn, and then enter the Venetian lagoon. Google maps shows the routes taken by ships when entering Venice. They have some sharp turns to make. That said, this can be done under cover of darkness. I was on the Ruby Princess back in June of 2010. The Ruby arrived in Venice and docked around midnight.

If anybody is a night owl, you just might see Regal Princess enter Venice. I'll be up until about 1:00 A.M., Eastern Daylight Time, to keep an eye on the webcam, but I have an 8:00 A.M. class to teach, so there are limits to how long I can wait and still be somewhat coherent the next day. (My students might have a different opinion from me on my level of coherence on any given day...)

Prof. Joan

Would you please share the link to the Venice web cam that you will be viewing? Thanks so very much.

Judy from SW Florida

I would love to know if there is an additional 110/220 electric outlet behind the bed or the bedside tables on the regal. This is so helpful for DH's CPap machine.

I'm basing my reply on my experience on the ROTAL. Outlets are along the wall close to where the dresser us located. Some outlets associated with the lamps do not always lend themselves to plugging things into them. Just to be on the safe side I always pack a 6-8 foot extension cord (surge suppressor or not) to be on the safe side. That also works great for recharging batteries, cameras, etc.

There are three real criticism of the room. The first I believe is the same as the royal. There is no way to turn the dressing area light on without turning the main cabin light on too. This is difficult if one of you is am early riser and the other isn't; as simply opening the bathroom door does not give sufficient light to find things. This is quite annoying, but I guess it was too late to change the specification.

Thanks so much for your detailed review of the Regal. I didn't think we would get one so soon.:)

I want to let you know that you can control the lights that come on with the dressing room lights. All you have to do is turn them off at the source. If you turn off the light switches behind the pillows and on the lamps, the dressing area light will remain on. After you turn the dressing room light off, you can put on the other lights independent of the switch for the dressing room area.:D

Edited by Mom33

I'm basing my reply on my experience on the ROTAL. Outlets are along the wall close to where the dresser us located. Some outlets associated with the lamps do not always lend themselves to plugging things into them. Just to be on the safe side I always pack a 6-8 foot extension cord (surge suppressor or not) to be on the safe side. That also works great for recharging batteries, cameras, etc.

Thanks for the first hand info and good tip about packing the extension cord. I would only add that it should also be a power strip, or, at least, a multiple-outlet cord so that more than one item can be plugged in at a time.:cool:

Thanks h3 and Dave for the review and photos. Explored Venice this evening and have a very enjoyable time. Wish I could watch her sail in early this AM, but I need to get some sleep after the long flights from the US west coast today (or was it actually yesterday?). Guess I'll just make a quick check of the marine traffic site. Can't wait to board her in TEN hours... :D

Based on her current speed Regal Princess will be at the entrance channel buoy in about 2h25 from this screen shot, or at about 10:50pm EDT, (7:50PST, 2:50am GMT, 4:50am local time Venice).

Will post another update in an hour.

14039292729_6c9b1c5400_o.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959