Power Problem on Nieuw Amsterdam

MainStreetMouse

People we know who are currently on the Nieuw Amsterdam just sent out the following message:

"The Captain just came on the PA and said, "Don't worry, we're a long way from land or shallow water." Good thing! We are currently moving along at 0 knots. The toilets won't flush, and the elevators don't work either. We still have electrical power in the cabin, but there is an electrical problem - a big one - they are working on it."

Edited by MainStreetMouse

Good grief! Hope your friend keeps us posted and they get the problem solved in quick order.

He is a HAL frequent cruiser, 4 star mariner and always gets the onboard Internet package to keep everyone updated on facebook so I am sure he will update the NA's status if he can.

Hopefully the power isue will be resolved soon, they were on their way to Hald Moon Cay.

Just checked my Live Cruise Ship Tracker and Nieuw Amsterdam is underway at 19.3 knots at this time. http://www (DOT)livecruiseshiptracker(DOT)com/

She has a 4 other Cruise ships North East and South West of her, but not close enough to look like they are giving any assistance. See the Attachment:

Screen Shot was taken at 10:02 this morning MST

NA_TODAY.jpg.79ed7a44a88ed519c6d543ec096586a9.jpg

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Just checked my Live Cruise Ship Tracker and Nieuw Amsterdam is underway at 19.3 knots at this time. http://www (DOT)livecruiseshiptracker(DOT)com/

She has a 4 other Cruise ships North East and South West of her, but not close enough to look like they are giving any assistance. See the Attachment:

Screen Shot was taken at 10:02 this morning MST

[ATTACH]303061[/ATTACH]

Joanie

The time the location was provided was 04:59 UTC, which equates to yesterday at almost 9PM Pacific time. There is no new update of location from last night.

The time the location was provided was 04:59 UTC' date=' which equates to yesterday at almost 9PM Pacific time. There is no new update of location from last night.[/quote']

Hmmmmmm, whatever has happened happened around 2014-02-21 13:58 UTC Midday position 0 speed and course now listed.

Prior to that she was listed 2014-02-21 01:16 Midnight position 18.8 knots and Course at 302

http://www0(DOT)marinetraffic(DOT)com/ais/datasheet.aspx?MMSI=246648000&SHIPNAME=NIEUW%20AMSTERDAM&datasource=ITINERARIES

So looks like the OP got the info extremely fast for which I am so glad they were able to post for us:)

Joanie

Good News, problem appears to have been fixed!

Facebook Update from passenger on board:

"Moving right along... we're now cruising at 18 knots. We reach Half Moon Cay tomorrow. The electrical problem was fixed and everything is working as it should, as far as we know. There was also no running water and no AC for a while. Very glad the problem was solved!"

I'm really not trying to be a smart mouth but it occurs to me there are a great many cities/towns in U.S. right now with power outages. We've had a severe winter across this country and I am sure there are far more people in cold homes with no lights because of severe winter weather than there are guests without a/c aboard Nieuw Amsterdam. They likely are at more risk of injury/illness than those on the ship due to the severe conditions. I realize those homes are not in the middle of the ocean but we know help is available in the Caribbean if a ship needs assistance in MOST cases.

Maybe we get a little overly excited when we hear a ship has a temporary power outage?

And, yes, we've been aboard when such has happened and it never occured to me I needed to report it on Facebook. :D (but I'm not much into that social media thing.)

Edited by sail7seas

I'm really not trying to be a smart mouth but it occurs to me there are a great many cities/towns in U.S. right now with power outages. We've had a severe winter across this country and I am sure there are far more people in cold homes with no lights because of severe winter weather than there are guests without a/c aboard Nieuw Amsterdam. They likely are at more risk of injury/illness than those on the ship due to the severe conditions. I realize those homes are not in the middle of the ocean but we know help is available in the Caribbean if a ship needs assistance in MOST cases.

Maybe we get a little overly excited when we hear a ship has a temporary power outage?

And, yes, we've been aboard when such has happened and it never occured to me I needed to report it on Facebook. :D (but I'm not much into that social media thing.)

The person who reported the outage on Facebook is a "friend" of mine and did the reporting with a good sense of humor....called it an adventure....no real complaints. That is a couple who are HAL fans and are using the cruises to evade the cold north for a while. It might help you to understand his post by knowing he is posting daily pictures of beautiful flowers, fun ports, sunsets, smiling crew and delicious foods etc. to keep us in the loop. Besides the HAL Facebook page there are several private HAL Facebook groups. :D

Good News, problem appears to have been fixed!

Facebook Update from passenger on board:

"Moving right along... we're now cruising at 18 knots. We reach Half Moon Cay tomorrow. The electrical problem was fixed and everything is working as it should, as far as we know. There was also no running water and no AC for a while. Very glad the problem was solved!"

That is good to hear!

The person who reported the outage on Facebook is a "friend" of mine and did the reporting with a good sense of humor....called it an adventure....no real complaints. That is a couple who are HAL fans and are using the cruises to evade the cold north for a while. It might help you to understand his post by knowing he is posting daily pictures of beautiful flowers, fun ports, sunsets, smiling crew and delicious foods etc. to keep us in the loop. Besides the HAL Facebook page there are several private HAL Facebook groups. :D

It is certainly his (and anyone's) right to post whatever they want, wherever they want. I just made an observation in my post of something that passed through my mind when thinking about how severe that short term outage was. No one wants to lose access to conveniences and comforts we all expect to have available to us but I think we sometimes over react.

IMO