Westerdam Terminal Evacuation

boze9999

y5ymutuh.jpg

During early boarding process we were all evacuated. Not positive, but thought I heard there was a fire - which got contained. We're back in the terminal. Everything seemed very organized. Looking forward to getting on board!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad all are safe and you and other pax can get onboard and start enjoying your cruise. It looks like a beautiful day there...enjoy,:) we had an actual reading of -27 yesterday.:eek: Today looking better

Sorry you experienced the inconvenience but happy all are safe.

Such an evacuation could be very difficult for people with mobility problems. If they have trouble standing etc, they would need assistance and I hope that was available for them.

We went down three flights of stairs. Those with mobility needs we're personally assisted via elevators.

Thanks.

Appreciate the added information.

Have a GREAT cruise. :)

Westerdam is a lovely ship.

We went down three flights of stairs. Those with mobility needs we're personally assisted via elevators.

I thought elevators were out of bounds for emergency evacuations?:confused:

I thought elevators were out of bounds for emergency evacuations?:confused:

There are people who cannot walk. There are a number of people who cannot go down three flights of stairs.

HAL has crew trained to assist those who would need help in an emergency.

These folks cannot simply be 'left behind'.

maybe, sail, but on my last cruise two years ago i had to have wheelchair help getting to my cabin. for muster drill, i asked for help getting to my lifeboat station, and the front desk just laughed it off -- if you can't get there, you will be tossed off the ship. and i called well in advance. it was a nightmare of pain, i can tell you. luckily another passanger and his wife helped me. hal -- the do it yourself or suffer cruise line.

maybe, sail, but on my last cruise two years ago i had to have wheelchair help getting to my cabin. for muster drill, i asked for help getting to my lifeboat station, and the front desk just laughed it off -- if you can't get there, you will be tossed off the ship. and i called well in advance. it was a nightmare of pain, i can tell you. luckily another passanger and his wife helped me. hal -- the do it yourself or suffer cruise line.

Why didn't you contact Care Vacations before your cruise to rent a wheelchair, stroller, or walker?

There is also another rental agency that you can use.

The ship's wheelchairs are only for helping people on embarkation day and disembarkation as well as emergencies on the ship. They are not for every day use by passengers.

dr. dawg

Why didn't you contact Care Vacations before your cruise to rent a wheelchair, stroller, or walker?

There is also another rental agency that you can use.

The ship's wheelchairs are only for helping people on embarkation day and disembarkation as well as emergencies on the ship. They are not for every day use by passengers.

KK is right and in addition to this, if you are unable to get around the ship on your own, if you cannot get yourself to life boat drill, you are expected to have traveled/made arrangements with another guest who can assist you.

You are not to depend upon ship's crew to get you from your cabin to life boat drill. If you need elevator use, that is fine. A traffic director or other crew will permit a wheelchair user into the elevator.

Edited by sail7seas

Little confused here OP so just confirming and going by the title of this thread; Was this terminal #26 in Port Everglades or the Westerdam, that was temporarily evacuated?

According to friends on board it was the terminal that was evacuated and not the Westerdam.

She was docked at Terminal 21 today. HAL seem to be using that terminal a lot more recently especially when the bigger RCCL ship is on Terminal 25.

According to friends on board it was the terminal that was evacuated and not the Westerdam.

She was docked at Terminal 21 today. HAL seem to be using that terminal a lot more recently especially when the bigger RCCL ship is on Terminal 25.

Thanks for confirming that Bishop

KK is right and in addition to this, if you are unable to get around the ship on your own, if you cannot get yourself to life boat drill, you are expected to have traveled/made arrangements with another guest who can assist you.

You are not to depend upon ship's crew to get you from your cabin to life boat drill. If you need elevator use, that is fine. A traffic director or other crew will permit a wheelchair user into the elevator.

Exactly sail -- when the traffic directors see me approaching the elevators with my walker/rollator, they never say anything. A couple of times one of them has even held the elevator open for me even though my DH was there to help me.

Didn't Copper post quite a while ago (search isn't working so I can't find it) about an amended muster drill for people with mobility impairment, wherein they check in at the Atrium or something, instead of actually have to report to their lifeboat station?

We used 21 last year on the Eurodam. I inquired why we weren't at 26. One of the agents told me the Captain will choose a different terminal when the RCL mega ship is at 25.

We used 21 last year on the Eurodam. I inquired why we weren't at 26. One of the agents told me the Captain will choose a different terminal when the RCL mega ship is at 25.

HAL still primarily uses 25 and/or 26 on the ICW, but with multiple ships in will go to Midport for 19, 21 or 22

Didn't Copper post quite a while ago (search isn't working so I can't find it) about an amended muster drill for people with mobility impairment, wherein they check in at the Atrium or something, instead of actually have to report to their lifeboat station?

Yes, Cow Princess, that's exactly how it works.

If you're in a wheelchair, on a rollator, or a scooter, you can probably go to your muster station. But if you have trouble walking and don't use anassistance device, and especially have trouble standing for lengthy periods, you can go to a muster station in the atrium. You are checked in, and do watch the life jacket instruction.

That was posted here a long time ago.