What size were your suitcases?

chaucer642

Planning an October cruise on the Equinox with a friend. I know we can store our suitcases under the bed. What I'm wondering is what size and number of suitcases have you been able to fit under there? I'm thinking of the height as well as other dimensions.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Nancy

We had one large suitcase (within the size allowable by airlines); one large garment bag suitcase, and one small carry on suitcase on wheels. We put the two larger suitcases under the bed and the carry on in the closet. We probably could have put it under the bed, but we wanted the smaller suitcase readily available for dirty laundry.

Another suggestion is to open the suitcases before sliding under the bed to have them fit a bit more easily. We were able to access the open cases to keep extra shoes or items not needed. It was also easy to place clothing which had been put in bags directly in the case.

Often times the room steward can store your suitcase for you in an nearby storage closet or work area. Just ask! Enjoy your cruise and remember, pack light!

1 is a huge hardside case by samsonite

1 is a large delsy soft side garment bag

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If for some reason you can't fit your suitcases under the bed, your stateroom attendant will put them in storage.

We travel heavier than most cruisers.

The most we've taken would be two larger roll on cases (29" I think), a very large rolling duffel (snorkeling gear, shoes and misc), a large rolling garment bag, and a small carry-on case. There have been times we can fit all this under the bed and times we have to stuff one case within another to do so. We generally store some things in the cases and also use the cases for dirty laundry as we go along.

We have run into times when for one reason or another, usually because bed is lower, that we have to have steward stow a case. They'll work very hard to fit everything under the bed for you first as they have limited storage space to use.

Edited by Lsimon

Take anything you want. If you cannot store your cases in your cabin, give them to your cabin steward. I have done this on a few cruises. I now use soft luggage that folds down. It is very easy to store under the bed. It also weighs a lot less than the hard luggage.

I don't buy suitcases larger than 26" anymore...

(And these, BTW, slide right under the cruise ship beds).

The reasoning for not buying larger nowadays has nothing to do with the space in the cruise cabin, but with the airline luggage restrictions...

Our cases--Standard issue Costco Kirkland 26" Rolling Suitcases, when packed full, weigh right around 50 pounds...which is the limit on most airlines with most tickets...Actually, if you really stuff them, they will hold over 50 pounds, but, reasonably full, right around 50...

So, say we had 30 inch suitcases instead, what would be the point? Not like we could take 20% more on the plane?

Long trips, we'll take a 26 incher and a 22 inch carryon roller each...and all four cases fit easily under the standard cruise ship beds...

I have seen many posts about putting suitcases under the bed and storing dirty laundry in them.

Is it just me or is there anyone else who would not store dirty clothes in their suitcase that they pack clean clothes in to go on a trip? :confused:

And then I get even stranger with wondering what icky stuff might be under the bed. :eek:

(Yeah I realize my luggage has been in nasty airports and plane luggage bays.) :o

And for full disclosure..... we always have plastic trash bags that dirty clothes go in until I send them to be laundered or dry cleaned. Dirty clothes remaining at end of trip are packed in the plastic bags before going in the luggage. :)

Not being critical I'm just wondering if I am the only weird one. :D

One hint - if your suitcase is too high to slide under the bed, just lift up one corner of the bed - they're really not very heavy. There's a support bar that cuts down the space by a couple of inches, but once you get your bag past that bar, there's plenty of room.

...........And for full disclosure..... we always have plastic trash bags that dirty clothes go in until I send them to be laundered or dry cleaned. Dirty clothes remaining at end of trip are packed in the plastic bags before going in the luggage. :)

Not being critical I'm just wondering if I am the only weird one. :D

Not at all. You have plenty of company.

There are lots of us weird ones who do that. ;)

We always keep extra plastic bags in our suitcases in various sizes as they take up almost no space at all and come in handy for so many purposes.

Edited by varoo

(Yeah I realize my luggage has been in nasty airports and plane luggage bays.) :o

At a number of airports, we noticed that they offer a service where they enclose your suitcases in clear plastic wrapping, for a fee.

We have not used it yet, but it looks tempting.

When/if we ever use it, we figure we will just leave the checked bags encased inside the plastic cover until they are delivered to our cruise ship cabin since we only open our carry-on bags at pre-cruise hotels anyway, even when we travel with checked luggage.

Planning an October cruise on the Equinox with a friend. I know we can store our suitcases under the bed. What I'm wondering is what size and number of suitcases have you been able to fit under there? I'm thinking of the height as well as other dimensions.

We've never had any trouble fitting 2 of the largest suitcases allowable by the airlines. We've never tried, but even after stowing 2 large ones, it appears that if we also had 2 carry on size rollaboards, those would fit in addition to the large ones. Of course, if you're taking that much or more , you're probably taking way too much, LOL.