Carnival Stock

pauleydm

I would like to start purchasing Carnival stock. My plan is to buy 1 share of stock per week so that I can hit my 100 shares in 2 years. Is this a good plan or should I save my money until I can buy 10 shares at a time? Also, this would be my first stock purchase, so where do I go or who do I talk to to purchase the stock. Thanks in advance for any advice given:)

Every time you buy a stock you will pay a fee, so it is best to buy in bulk.

If carnival has another bad run of luck (ships stuck at sea...) buy then if the stock is dipping.

At this point in time I would rather own 10 shares of Apple than 100 of Carnival :-)

I would like to start purchasing Carnival stock. My plan is to buy 1 share of stock per week so that I can hit my 100 shares in 2 years. Is this a good plan or should I save my money until I can buy 10 shares at a time? Also, this would be my first stock purchase, so where do I go or who do I talk to to purchase the stock. Thanks in advance for any advice given:)

We bought ours through eTrade. ;)

Every time you buy a stock you will pay a fee, so it is best to buy in bulk.

If carnival has another bad run of luck (ships stuck at sea...) buy then if the stock is dipping.

At this point in time I would rather own 10 shares of Apple than 100 of Carnival :-)

Actually you couldn't even buy 1 share of Apple for 100 of Carnival

Actually you couldn't even buy 1 share of Apple for 100 of Carnival

Apple is at roughly $531.00 Carnival is at $39.00 roughly. 100 shares of Carnival would cost $3,900.00. So for 100 Carnival shares you could get roughly 6 Apple shares.

OP it would be better to buy in large chunks unless you have a program that you get free trades on. I use Fidelity and for every trade it costs me about $8.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, Paul. You would be better off to set the money aside each payday and then when you have enough to buy 100 shares, then make one stock purchase. Each purchase incurs a fee, so buying 1 share at a time would increase the fee 100 times. So for example if you bought through a discount broker like Scottrade that charges $7 per purchase, your fee would be $700 versus $7.

If it were me, I'd save the money until I had enough, then sit on the money until you see the stock price dip and then make your purchase. During the time it takes to be saving the money to make the purchase, be watching CCL's stock price so that you will have an idea of what you think is a good price to buy the stock at.

Good luck.

As was said in a different thread, getting stock advice here is probably not the wisest thing. And watching for a price dip... what do you consider a dip? If the price is $39 and falls to $36, is that enough to buy? It is a difference of 8%. Of course, the $39 may go to $45 and never come back.

Old age advice... you can never time the bottom or the top of a stock. Get in when you think it is a good buy and take your profits when you think it is high enough.

Apple is at roughly $531.00 Carnival is at $39.00 roughly. 100 shares of Carnival would cost $3,900.00. So for 100 Carnival shares you could get roughly 6 Apple shares.

OP it would be better to buy in large chunks unless you have a program that you get free trades on. I use Fidelity and for every trade it costs me about $8.00.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

we're both wrong. For every 1 share of APPL you could buy 13 shares of CCL

You could set up a drip plan, say I want to buy 20 dollars worth of Carnival stock every week. Most brokerages will do for very little or no cost at all. It is a great way to save for the future.

You could set up a drip plan, say I want to buy 20 dollars worth of Carnival stock every week. Most brokerages will do for very little or no cost at all. It is a great way to save for the future.

Can you explain what a drip plan is?:)

First I recommend you buy a book on investing in stocks. Then investigate in a good broker for you needs. talk to your family and friends. Remember, at this time Carnival pays a dividend of $1 per share per year, which means you will need to report this dividend on your annual income tax.

The stock purchase commission will be included in your purchase cost. In other words, say your commission on 1 share is $15 and the stock cost is $40 per share, your total investment for this one share is $55. Typically, brokers charge the same commission for your first 100 shares. So, let's say you buy 100 shares of Carnival at $40, that would cost you $4,015 ($40 per share times 100 shares, plus $15 commission)your effective share price is now $40.15 per share. A more sound investment.

Just wondering?

Are your plans to buy 100 shares tied to the obc.

If so, that's not the best reason.

RCL is up close to 60% in the last year.

CCL and NCLH have both been on a bit of a roller coaster ride over the last year.

When the economy comes back and discretionary spending goes up, all travel service industry stocks should do well.

I would save to buy in bulk. You can do 25 or 50 at a time on a dip. The ride up should cover the commision/fee.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Forums mobile app

Just wondering?

Are your plans to buy 100 shares tied to the obc.

That is one of the reasons. The other reason is that I would like to get into investing, and since we have only sailed with Carnival, it seems like the place to start:)

Buy your stocks all at once. It is true that you pay a fee every time you buy or sell, but it is a lot easier to track for tax purposes if you buy it all at the same time.

I've worked for a major Wall Street firm for about 25 years and I own CCL common stock. Due to all of this, I have limits on what I can say here.

However, *if* you choose to purchase stock on a small and systematic basis, direct purchase through a dividend reinvestment plan can make sense. Costs to buy are typically quite low, minimums are usually very low, and dividends may be reinvested in more shares for a low or even no cost.

Disclaimer: This is not a recommendation for or against CCL common stock or any other securities, nor is it an offer to buy or sell securities or a solicitation. The purchase of common stock involves risk and systematic investment is no assurance of profit. No recommendation should be inferred by my disclaimer that I own this stock.

Edited by Stockjock

Paul, a DRiP allows you to take the dividends (usually quarterly) and the automatically purchase new shares (or fractions of a share) instead of receiving the dividends in your hands. For example, if you have 100 shares and the dividend is 1.00, you would get $100.00. With the DRiP, this $100 would be invested into the stock at the current market value (say $40). So, you would get an additional 2.5 shares of stock. For the next quarter, you would then have 102.5 shares. So the DRiP allows you to acquire stock.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Sorry I used the wrong term. The correct is DSPP, direct stock purchase program, here is a definition. http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/directstockpurchaseplan.asp

Good way to start investing. I am not a broker, so do some research, but there are low cost ways to invest.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Paul before you start investing I would go to your local library and take out a book or two on investing and read it and than read it again to make sure you understand what you will be getting into.

I would suggest you start with a good no load mutual fund and not with one stock which goes up and down within a range of 20-35 over past 5 years or so.

To much risk to be in one stock and would never buy a stock just for the obc. A mutual fund spreads out the risk over many stocks.

Good luck.

I purchased mine on a Monday, faxed all the necessary paperwork on Wednesday , sailed that Sunday , with the OBC ! After I faxed the paperwork , I followed up with a phone call, and the person I talked to was very helpful. I also got the OBC for my November cruise .