Corkage Fee if TA sends Wine?

Yes, they can buy Gifts & Gear wine using their special TA RCCL website. All onboard wine comes from Gifts & Gear selection whether you purchase it at retail or TA purchases it at a discounted price. As I say, I've had TA-ordered wine delivered to the MDR - without a corkage fee - so it can definitely be done.

They can order it to the dining room, but not at the TA discounted cost. If the TA doesn't order it to the dining room, it may be subject to (depends on the staff) corkage fee. Don't think rules have changed since I was a TA

They can order it to the dining room, but not at the TA discounted cost. If the TA doesn't order it to the dining room, it may be subject to (depends on the staff) corkage fee. Don't think rules have changed since I was a TA

Who knows, maybe it depends on your status/pull as a TA. Our experience is different - and matches what is clearly stated on the RCCL website. And that 4 foot replica ship under glass that we got as a gift a few years back for being top-booking TA in the state sure is pretty on the mantel! ;)

Who knows, maybe it depends on your status/pull as a TA. Our experience is different - and matches what is clearly stated on the RCCL website. And that 4 foot replica ship under glass that we got as a gift a few years back for being top-booking TA in the state sure is pretty on the mantel! ;)

glad for ya

What does it say on the web site?

Edited by SeaUs

We receive a bottle of wine from C&A on each cruise. If we have it delivered to the MDR, no corkage fee. If we have it delivered to our room and then carry an open bottle into the MDR, we are subject to the corkage fee. I've always thought that was funny that we would be charged $25 for a gift bottle from Royal!

Sherri:)

I think some of the confusion about the corkage fee policy is because it's not consistently applied by the ships, and that the policy did change when Royal started allowing people to bring on wine again in Nov 2012.

Previous to Nov 2012, the policy was like SeaUs and sjb317 described. Corkage fee was supposed to be charged for any wine that was not delivered to the dining room. This included travel agent gifts, Gifts & Gear purchases by the guest, C&A D+ amenities, even wine sent to the stateroom by staff on board. This policy was not always enforced.

After Nov 2012, the policy changed and there is no longer supposed to be any corkage fee for wine purchased on the ship, whether initial delivery was to stateroom or MDR. I do think there is an exception to this if a travel agent buys a wine for the guest at reduced price, but unless that is some wine variety that is not included on Gifts & Gear or the ship's wine list, I don't know how the staff could discern that the bottle was not purchased by the guest.

Edited by clarea

My TA asked what kind of wine we drink, so I suspect we may have a bottle of wine in our cabin upon boarding. If so, do we still have to pay a corkage fee if consumed in the Dining Room?

The policy on RC isn't good. We sailed on the Allure this January, and they, R. C., gave us a free bottle of (cheap) champagne and told us if we bring it to the dining room, they would charge a $25. fee!

We actually didn't even drink it and left it for the cabin attendant. When we sail on Celebrity, if they give you the wine (or champagne) and you bring it to the dining room or specialty restaurant, no charge.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We receive a bottle of wine from C&A on each cruise. If we have it delivered to the MDR, no corkage fee. If we have it delivered to our room and then carry an open bottle into the MDR, we are subject to the corkage fee. I've always thought that was funny that we would be charged $25 for a gift bottle from Royal!

Sherri:)

The policy on RC isn't good. We sailed on the Allure this January, and they, R. C., gave us a free bottle of (cheap) champagne and told us if we bring it to the dining room, they would charge a $25. fee!

We actually didn't even drink it and left it for the cabin attendant. When we sail on Celebrity, if they give you the wine (or champagne) and you bring it to the dining room or specialty restaurant, no charge.

Thanks for the info - same situation as is reported by some with some bartenders trying to charge full price for drinks over $10 for someone with a Premium or Ultimate drink package. Royal's clear policy is that those people should only be charged the amount over $10, not the full amount. Royal's clear policy (changed a couple years ago - thanks Bob) is that any wine provided by the ship/RCCL should not be subject to a corkage fee. I've added the printed policy about that from the website to the list of items I'll have with me on the next cruise, in case staff needs to be "educated" about not charging me for things they shouldn't be charging me for! :)

How would a guest receive a bottle of wine other than it having been purchased from Gifts & Gear? I guess they mean that the TA buys a bottle of wine and somehow gets it to the guest before they board, but that seems unlikely.
Some years ago I was handed a bottle of wine by a TA in their brick & mortar store. Without that clause, I could carry the bottle on-board, take it to the MDR and legitimately say that it was a gift from my TA. I agree that doing all that would be a PITA, but you asked "How"?

;)But I want to know: if I bring my rum-runner to the MDR, is there a fee for a glass with ice?:confused:

Some years ago I was handed a bottle of wine by a TA in their brick & mortar store. Without that clause, I could carry the bottle on-board, take it to the MDR and legitimately say that it was a gift from my TA. I agree that doing all that would be a PITA, but you asked "How"?

;)But I want to know: if I bring my rum-runner to the MDR, is there a fee for a glass with ice?:confused:

What I do, is bring one of those ice ball molds and a small canister of lab-grade liquid nitrogen. Instant ice on board without having to pay for ice on board. PM me for info on how to smuggle the liquid nitrogen (as well as various other useful volatile chemicals) in your carry-ons. :cool:

What I do, is bring one of those ice ball molds and a small canister of lab-grade liquid nitrogen. Instant ice on board without having to pay for ice on board. PM me for info on how to smuggle the liquid nitrogen (as well as various other useful volatile chemicals) in your carry-ons. :cool:

Who has ever done that?

Thanks for the info offer, but I have no problem getting my Dewar flask containing LN2 on board. Some years ago I did encounter problems bringing it through security, but then I slapped a Dewar's White Label on the flask, and since it is not alcohol I get it through easily [in order to blend into the crowd, when I go on Azamara I use a Dewar's 18 label, and if I ever went on Crystal I'd use a Dewar's Signature label]. I have only been using the LN2 to burn off warts while sitting by the pool; thanks for the tip about the ice ball molds -I'll have to get one of those - I love moldy ice:D

Thom

Now I don't know if this would fall under the same category. Last year on our cruise they delivered a bottle of champagne and I won a bottle of wine at a contest. I asked at Guest Relations about the corkage fee and they said as long as its provided by Royal Caribbean you will not be subjected to the fee.

So when we went to Portofinos and the Main Dining Room we told our server and they did not add the corkage fee. The same should go for wine provided by the travel agent just tell your server this is from Royal Caribbean because your Travel Agent is purchasing wine from Royal.

You would be subjected to a corkage fee if you brought on your own bottle. To get around this just ask your room attendant for wine glasses and bring them into the dining room . People do this all the time and you can avoid the corkage fee.

I hope this clears up any questions you may have.

Hi There

Just love the quote "it may be subject to (depends on the staff) corkage fee. Don't think rules have changed"

It may

depends on staff

Don't think rules have changed

Appears there are no rules, it is what ever the staff feels like doing. Very surprising as the staff does not seem to have much latitude, on the cruises I have been on.

Hi There

Just love the quote "it may be subject to (depends on the staff) corkage fee. Don't think rules have changed"

It may

depends on staff

Don't think rules have changed

Appears there are no rules, it is what ever the staff feels like doing. Very surprising as the staff does not seem to have much latitude, on the cruises I have been on.

We were just on the Allure of the Seas in January and we were told that a corkage fee would apply in the restaurants. We got a "free" bottle of wine from the captains club. I questioned the hostess in the Captains club and she advised me that yes, a corkage fee would apply.

I do not understand either it is policy or not?

We were just on the Allure of the Seas in January and we were told that a corkage fee would apply in the restaurants. We got a "free" bottle of wine from the captains club. I questioned the hostess in the Captains club and she advised me that yes, a corkage fee would apply.

I do not understand either it is policy or not?

Welcome to the world of RCI. What Merion Mom accurately describes as being "Consistantly Inconsistent".