Choice of Table Seating

Leucothea

Has anyone here who has travelled solo ever booked a table for just one? If so, what are the reasons?

I always book tables for 8 or 6, but I met a passenger who booked a table for one, and I never did ask why. As a result, this person was alone for most of the trip (until meeting us). I have never heard of just getting a table by one's self, and I'm curious to know why someone might do that.

Has anyone here who has travelled solo ever booked a table for just one? If so, what are the reasons? I always book tables for 8 or 6, but I met a passenger who booked a table for one, and I never did ask why. As a result, this person was alone for most of the trip (until meeting us). I have never heard of just getting a table by one's self, and I'm curious to know why someone might do that.
Hi Leucothea, not quite what you're looking for, but I found myself at a table for one in the Caronia Restaurant on board QE2 in 2007. I had asked for a seat at a table for two but the "other" person failed to board (so I was told). So I had a table to myself. I was fine with it, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it again, however.

One month later I was a single passenger again, but this time on QM2 (Caribbean cruise). I requested (and got) a table for eight (hosted, as it happened). Since then, I have always requested a large (6 or 8) seat table when travelling as a single passenger.

As I said, not quite what you were looking for I feel.

Best wishes :)

Edited by pepperrn

Has anyone here who has travelled solo ever booked a table for just one? If so, what are the reasons?

I always book tables for 8 or 6, but I met a passenger who booked a table for one, and I never did ask why. As a result, this person was alone for most of the trip (until meeting us). I have never heard of just getting a table by one's self, and I'm curious to know why someone might do that.

If I were traveling on my own I would absolutely certainly request a table for one because I cannot bear the thought of inflicting my company on total strangers. At the moment that is why I always request a table for two.

J

We had a recent thread where a solo - who prefers to dine alone - booked a table for two in order to do just that. It would require early booking. The last minute deals ususally don't allow choice of dining time and by then tables for two are long gone.

As we all are equipped with our own feelings, tendencies, preferences, quirks, (well, you get the idea), that includes with whom we want to dine with.

My wife and I request a table for two on every cruise. When I travel alone I dine by myself. I'm the first one to strike up a conversation with strangers in the right circumstance. But I (we) prefer to dine alone. It's a feeling. Don't know if a feeling can be explained.

Harvey

We had a recent thread where a solo - who prefers to dine alone - booked a table for two in order to do just that. It would require early booking. The last minute deals ususally don't allow choice of dining time and by then tables for two are long gone.

Yes, I remember that one..Some pax like to dine solo.

I'm a solo traveller and go for a large table. I've decided that 10 might be the best size. I've had much more interesting conversations at tables for 10. On my last cruise I was on a table for 8, and I know at least 4 of us stopped going!

It is of course a matter of personal choice, I live alone and travel solo, so meeting people and having conversation instead of silence (or inane TV talking heads) is a joy.

Yes you can find yourself in a "situation" but then you just request a change . I always request a table for 8 , since one or two fail to come the number often ends up as 6.

I did take a cruise on Seaborne asked for a table for 8, then found that I was often eating alone because of "please yourself " eating times. It was miserable, and I have never cruised with that line again. picky of me , but as I have stated companions for dinner is one of the pleasures of the cruise.

I was an only child growing up, so I have always been content when traveling solo to keep myself company. But as I've gotten older, I'm starting to enjoy dining with strangers as well. So I will tell the maître d that I don't mind sitting with someone if that will be helpful. As a result I have been fortunate to meet some of the most pleasant and interesting folk you can imagine. I have a few simple rules. I try never to dominate the conversation, instead opting to be the interested listener. I also try to be sympathetic or at least open to the opinions of others. No one is wrong in my eyes. They just have a different viewpoint. No politics will I discuss if I can help it. I try to be generous with my time, and endeavor to be a gentleman. I'm happy to share a few drinks with a new found friend and I will help you stagger back to your cabin if you've had too much fun, but I try to attempt to remain sober myself. I don't consider myself superior mind you.i just behave better when I'm under control. My main objective is that when I take my leave, they think to themselves, "what a nice agreeable bloke. I think that being nice to people is a very simple exercise to perform and frankly I'm good at it. :D

Do you ballroom dance?? :-)

I was an only child growing up, so I have always been content when traveling solo to keep myself company. But as I've gotten older, I'm starting to enjoy dining with strangers as well. So I will tell the maître d that I don't mind sitting with someone if that will be helpful. As a result I have been fortunate to meet some of the most pleasant and interesting folk you can imagine. I have a few simple rules. I try never to dominate the conversation, instead opting to be the interested listener. I also try to be sympathetic or at least open to the opinions of others. No one is wrong in my eyes. They just have a different viewpoint. No politics will I discuss if I can help it. I try to be generous with my time, and endeavor to be a gentleman. I'm happy to share a few drinks with a new found friend and I will help you stagger back to your cabin if you've had too much fun, but I try to attempt to remain sober myself. I don't consider myself superior mind you.i just behave better when I'm under control. My main objective is that when I take my leave, they think to themselves, "what a nice agreeable bloke. I think that being nice to people is a very simple exercise to perform and frankly I'm good at it. :D

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Table for eight? Acute hearing is needed.

David

Good point. Persons with even moderate hearing loss may have a difficult time carrying on a conversation with people at opposite ends of the larger tables. Due to my DW's hearing loss, we have had to ask to switch positions at the table in order for her to hear everyone clearly. However, most people have been happy to accommodate when made aware of the hearing problem.

Bob

If I were traveling on my own I would absolutely certainly request a table for one because I cannot bear the thought of inflicting my company on total strangers. At the moment that is why I always request a table for two.

J

Understandable ;)

Well said!

Sir Martin

This follows the experience on one of his early cruises where he'd asked for a seat at a table for eight...

... that was a very large table for one by the second night... :eek: :D ;) :)

Edited by pepperrn

• 2 weeks later...

Dining at a table for 8 has always been a kind of discipline for me. Now it's not so daunting, but when I first began traveling solo on Cunard, I was rather shy and the thought of dining with 7 strangers made me quite nervous; only at first that is. I have usually had great fun meeting people at dinner on the ship(s), and the camaraderie has made the voyages far more interesting.

I can't see the point of dining alone, unless one is always with many other people in one's daily life. Then I could see needing a break. I do prefer to dine alone at lunch though, and always have room service breakfasts.

Hi Leucothea, not quite what you're looking for, but I found myself at a table for one in the Caronia Restaurant on board QE2 in 2007. I had asked for a seat at a table for two but the "other" person failed to board (so I was told). So I had a table to myself. I was fine with it, but I'm not sure I'd want to do it again, however.

One month later I was a single passenger again, but this time on QM2 (Caribbean cruise). I requested (and got) a table for eight (hosted, as it happened). Since then, I have always requested a large (6 or 8) seat table when travelling as a single passenger.

As I said, not quite what you were looking for I feel.

Best wishes :)

Hi Peppern, yes I've tried smaller tables also and found myself alone or with one other person. Although I was at a table for 6 once, and there were only 2 of us, myself and a gentleman who was primarily focused on the food. It's a lotto draw in terms of table companions. A few times I was seated with couples who kept to themselves. The best tables I've had were comprised mainly of other solo travelers, or very sociable couples.

I usually travel with my husband and family, so when I decided to do a crossing by myself I was quite concerned about how things would work out for dinner. I am quite shy, and hopeless at small talk. I ended up on a hosted table for 8, with one couple, 2 friends traveling together, and the rest of us traveling solo.

It turned out to be absolutely fantastic. We decided to switch places each night so we could get a chance to talk with everyone as it is difficult on a table of 8 to hear conversations the other side of the table. I met up with one or two of them in the pub for lunch, joined up for drinks in the Commodore Club in the evenings, or sometimes got together for a drink before dinner.

It never felt intrusive, and I felt I had plenty of time to myself when needed. My dinner companions were one of the highlights of the crossing and I was so glad I had not asked to dine alone as was my initial plan.

I travelled QG last voyage and was seated at a table for 6. After a couple of days we just sort of showed up at the same time each night for dinner. Breakfast and lunch were whatever people wanted to do. Some did room service for breakfast, some did the dining room every day, and it was pretty much the same for lunch. We did try to dine together at night. I only ended up dining alone a couple of times for breakfast...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How does single seating work in the Grills when travelling solo? If people dine when they like does this mean you are placed at any table each night, or are people still assigned a table?

You dine at the same table and with the same people for all meals. We have dined [QG] with a few solo passengers over the years. A large table [eight or ten] is good for mixing and meeting people. First day is usually turn up for dinner around 7.30 and hope most of the table is there. In our experience, we agree to dine at the same/ similar time the next evening and so it continues, depending what's on during the day or the show in the theatre.

On all our cruises, we've only once had a divided table where four ate early and six of us arrived during their dessert. Lunch and breakfast up turn up as and when. You can dine alone at a table for two, if you wish. It happens quite frequently.

Edited by Victoria2

This follows the experience on one of his early cruises where he'd asked for a seat at a table for eight...

... that was a very large table for one by the second night... :eek: :D ;) :)

But there is an up side to everything! The flight of my seven dining companions left vast empty acres of the table available to be filled with food!

j

You dine at the same table and with the same people for all meals. We have dined [QG] with a few solo passengers over the years. A large table [eight or ten] is good for mixing and meeting people. First day is usually turn up for dinner around 7.30 and hope most of the table is there. In our experience, we agree to dine at the same/ similar time the next evening and so it continues, depending what's on during the day or the show in the theatre.

On all our cruises, we've only once had a divided table where four ate early and six of us arrived during their dessert. Lunch and breakfast up turn up as and when. You can dine alone at a table for two, if you wish. It happens quite frequently.

Thanks for this information. I'm only on board for 2 nights so I won't be too upset if I don't get my timing right!

But it's handy to know as I'm looking at booking Grills for the June 21 2015 NYC-Southampton TA.