What do you focus on?

Walt724

So many reviewers seem to spend time bashing the ships they are on. It's not an NCL Board thing, but apparently happens on all the lines.

My question is this; when you are cruising, what are you focused on?

Do you spend your time looking at this?

ccDSCN0287.jpg.6aa7e2a7ff4100035a097d3b8a3d6073.jpg

Or do you raise your gaze and spend you time looking at this?

ccDSCN0294.jpg.919d13b11c97594437c5796cba29f5c4.jpg

These pictures were taken seconds apart last Monday as we sailed out of New Orleans for the Caribbean. Yes, I could have focused my attention on the rust and complained about how poorly the ship was maintained. But why? Lifting my eyes just 36 inches gave me a breathtaking sunrise to look at instead.

In life (and on cruises) we tend to get out when we put in. If we are looking for disappointment, we are sure to find it. If we are looking for beauty, there is plenty to be found every day.

What will you choose to focus on today?

We are really easy going people and we try not to focus on any of the negative. We are on vacation and seeing such beautiful sights. If we notice something not perfect we never let it ruin our trip.

When I go on a cruise I have already made up my mind that I am going ot have a good time. I focus on making sure that I relax and enjoy every second of my vacation. 99% of having a good time or not is up to you. I use that 99% to make my cruise a happy time!

Based on the two pictures I would definitely notice them both if I was sailing

However, I would focus on the sunset

If you are on a ship and see rust I think that would be the norm

You are at sea for goodness sakes

Some people just focus on the negative and not the positive

To me the rust is irrelevant especially when you are at sea and looking into the horizon and seeing a beautiful sunset/sunrise or just ocean for miles and miles

So many reviewers seem to spend time bashing the ships they are on. It's not an NCL Board thing, but apparently happens on all the lines.

I focus on good things and being on holiday. Even though on longer trips I need to work at least 30mins or so pretty much every or every other day, I'm still happy that I don't have to clean or cook and I couldn't think of better place to do remote work than the Caribbean Sea. :D

What comes to bashing, most people are happy with their cruise and do not feel absolute need to vent about it afterwards. Those that focus on bad things about the cruise are so ticked about what they have succeeded to find that they will make anything to announce their findings everywhere.

Great post!

Once upon a time, I checked into my cabin and met my steward, then she left. I looked in the shower, a lady's bathing suit was hanging in there. I was like, um, eewwww, I grabbed it by the straps and gave it to the steward and laughed.

I decided not to think about what that actually meant. When I told my sister, she immediately said "that means they didn't clean your shower, you should go complain to guest services".

I didn't want to think about it. It's too much to bear lol. I didn't want to stand in line and wait to complain about something either. I am not really a pollyanna type person, most people would say I'm pretty negative, but I'm on vacation and I don't feel like starting off on the wrong foot. So just call me Cleopatra, I had a fabulous time in spite of the "shower incident".

Edited by DedeM

Love it. We are really easy going people, usually happy whenever we are on vacation. I honestly wouldnt even have noticed the rust. I'm pretty non observant but also just dont look for that stuff. I'm too busy looking at the other things :)

I would have noticed the rust...

I would have thought to myself, briefly, "I should remember not to lean against it and get my white dress dirty while I am watching the amazing sunset" :)

When we're on a cruise, we'll certainly try to get something fixed if we have a major issue.

However, we always look for the good in everything. We always have a great time.

Being on a cruise, being on vacation... well.. it's ALL good :)

[ATTACH]305355[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]305354[/ATTACH]

These pictures were taken seconds apart last Monday as we sailed out of New Orleans for the Caribbean. Yes, I could have focused my attention on the rust and complained about how poorly the ship was maintained. But why? Lifting my eyes just 36 inches gave me a breathtaking sunrise to look at instead.

In life (and on cruises) we tend to get out when we put in. If we are looking for disappointment, we are sure to find it. If we are looking for beauty, there is plenty to be found every day.

I like the way you think.....

Ignore the negative (like rust) and concentrate on the positive. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

A few months ago a young woman described the Jewel as a "ghetto" ship because she saw a rust spot on her balcony. It's a shame when someone lets a small thing ruin a cruise.

I so agree with you. Sometime during my cruise on the Dawn in November, the toilet in the cabin suddenly wouldn't flush. It stayed that way for quite a bit of the day. It turned out that several on the same deck had the same problem. Was it a major issue? Some might think so. For my companions and I, it was more of a "eh, oh well. Lets go somewhere else in the ship. I don't want to stay in the cabin anyway!" I don't even remember what day of the cruise it happened on. We also had an issue with one of the servers in one of the main dining rooms. Did it bother us? A little. We commented on it to the Maitre' d. Then we went and enjoyed the rest of the evening. Again, no big deal.

I think of it this way. I am on a wonderful vacation, on a beautiful ship, in the middle of the ocean, seeing lots of beautiful islands and meeting some really super people. If things aren't perfect, so what?

I love this post. Yes, I would have probably notice the rust but it would not have matter to me. If I have a major problem on a cruise, I will speak to someone about it but not let it affect my cruise. A cruise is a way to see places I would not ordinarily go and a chance to meeting meeting people, staff passengers and those in ports of call.

Thank You for reminding of this today.

Like another commented, I would notice the rust and not let it bother me in the least. Bathing suit in my shower? I've gone camping for a week where the only "shower" is jumping into a lake, and the only bathroom is something I dug with a shovel. The only time I did mention a cleanliness issue was on a CCL ship where there were a lot of bird droppings in an outdoor eating area that really needed to be sprayed off.

As they say, don't sweat the petty stuff....and don't pet the sweaty stuff. :)

Edited by sdmike

I think of it this way. I am on a wonderful vacation, on a beautiful ship, in the middle of the ocean, seeing lots of beautiful islands and meeting some really super people. If things aren't perfect, so what?

EXACTLY THAT^^^

:)

6 days and counting!!!!!!!!!!!

[ATTACH]305355[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]305354[/ATTACH]

I would rather have the rust stay where it is then have my sunset blocked by a worker painting the rust!

^^^^ ditto!! :D