Over the Door Shoe organizer

dakacz

We took one on two cruises in a mini-suite on the Island and the Coral. We were not able to close the bathroom door with the shoe organizer hanging on the door. We hung it once inside the closet and once from the edge of the tv stand railing.

I like the idea of the shoe organizer over the bathroom door. Are you able to close the door with it hooked over the door or do you attach it some other way?

The one I have has thin metal hook that looks like a coat hanger. It also has suction cups which allows it to be attached to the door. I usually hang mine over the towel rack. It was very cheap from the dollar store.

I bought an inexpensive, clear-pocket shoe organizer and cut off the last row of pockets, then put shoe laces in the holes at the top to hook onto the silver hooks on the inside of the bathroom door. Works pretty well. We use it for things like suntan oil, first aid kit, brushes, etc. besides normal bathroom supplies.

I bought an inexpensive, clear-pocket shoe organizer and cut off the last row of pockets, then put shoe laces in the holes at the top to hook onto the silver hooks on the inside of the bathroom door. Works pretty well. We use it for things like suntan oil, first aid kit, brushes, etc. besides normal bathroom supplies.

Now that is a great idea. Going to implement this one. Would definitely work on the little hooks on the bathroom foor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, it does keep the bathroom door from closing. - so we put it on the closet door.

I will say though, we only took it when our kids were traveling with us. With 4 in a room, it was invaluable. There's NOT enough room for everything that FOUR people bring. However, when it's just DH and I, we find that we don't really need it. There's enough storage space.

Just my two cents worth.... :)

We had trouble on the Coral, but not on the Island.... Odd. :confused: The four hooks are flat, metal and squared off. We normally keep it on the outside of the bathroom door in the dressing area. I think I just didn't adjust them carefully on the Coral.

We only use a half length of the shoe organizer since it's just two of us. I bought some strong magnet hooks that I'm going to try on our upcoming cruise. The magnets can be placed anywhere on the wall. Just don't let the magnet contact your key card or it will disable it!

We take ours every cruise, stocked with our toiletries ...always hang it inside the bathroom door ...doesn't impede the door closing. We have metal hooks that fit over the top of the door and are flat on top that go in the metal eyelets at the top of the bag...it does prevent you from using the hooks on the door..but we hang our bag right over these..no worries. I do like the shoelace idea too. Ours only has four rows, so a shortened version..not the long one..bought it at Ross in the bathroom section...it has been around the world!

Love the added storage for sunscreen, conditioner, bingo dobbers, cold stuff, etc.

Edited by hillslife

Ours has flat metal hooks, too. Picture an upside down U with squared corners. No issue with the door closing, and we can still use the hooks on the inside. We do travel with string in the event we can't use the hooks (I think we couldn't on one Celebrity ship), but, as we cruise for longer periods of time, I can't imagine life without it.

We always take one because the kids are constantly coming home with new "treasures" from the kids center. If it were just my husband and I traveling, I'd probably do without.

Another thing about cruising with kids I hadn't thought about. We are taking our grandsons (both 8) with us for the first time this summer. Just what sort of things to they bring back from kids' club? I may need to rethink the shoe organizer.

I have a really nice one I ordered via Amazon a few years ago for our Hawaii cruise. On that longer sailing, I used every pocket. But since then, I cut off the bottom few rows and hemmed it, so there are about a dozen pockets. It's perfect for cosmetics, medications, hair supplies and incidentals. Really helps me stay organized. I've never had a problem with the clips fitting over the door and it closing.

We also use one which has the flat metal hooks and use it on the bathroom door - the pockets face the dressing area. We have never had a problem with the bathroom door closing.

We would be lost without this as it is a good location to keep cords, lotions, all kinds of little things that normally lay around and get lost. Use it on every cruise!

It's also hard on the door seal. The closet is a much better choice. Mine hooks on the bar, I use one zip tie to keep it from sliding.

Perhaps some are hard on the seal but I just looked at our seal. After our over the door show rack has hung on the door for almost 120 days, it's had no impact on the seal at all.

Another thing about cruising with kids I hadn't thought about. We are taking our grandsons (both 8) with us for the first time this summer. Just what sort of things to they bring back from kids' club? I may need to rethink the shoe organizer.

Crafts, necklaces, lanyards, small plush toys, books they make, paintings, that sort of thing. Not everything will fit in the shoe organizer but it did help us contain most of the clutter. We were on a 28 day cruise and my kids were in the youth center for a lot of it, but they still get a lot on shorter cruises. It also helps with little people socks, sunscreen, and other odds and ends. I don't think they are necessary for a couple but I wouldn't take a cruise with kids without one.

ETA: My sons were 8 and 10 on our last cruise. They made things like shark tooth necklaces, gecko keychains, caterpillars out of buttons and pipe cleaners, etc. Princess kids club is pretty heavy on the crafting, but my boys love it because they also have a lot of video games. :)

Edited by giselleacttwo

Now that is a great idea. Going to implement this one. Would definitely work on the little hooks on the bathroom foor

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At least it would be something that actually did work with those hooks. I've found them to be essentially useless for hanging towels - at least if you expect the towels to stay put and not end up on the floor!

ETA: My sons were 8 and 10 on our last cruise. They made things like shark tooth necklaces, gecko keychains, caterpillars out of buttons and pipe cleaners, etc. Princess kids club is pretty heavy on the crafting, but my boys love it because they also have a lot of video games. :)

Thanks! I can see we'll probably need extra storage space. My two will love all the crafting (and the video games).

I have a small personal travel bag - sort of like those sold by LL Bean. They are small and can be hooked over a clothes hanger in the closet or on the clothes pegs located inside the bathroom door.

If I had small children, I would carry magnets to display children's artwork and crafts. The walls are metal, and I use magnets on all my trips to keep track of shore excursion tickets, invitations to events, and a one calendar.

I have one at our beach condo for things that guests might need. Extra sunscreen, boca clips, little container of baby powder to take to the beach to get sand off your feet, small squirt bottle of vinegar for jelly fish stings, etc. It's a great way to have everything visible and in a small space. :)