Princess Alaska Formal Nights

hoosier_done_it

You'll see tuxes and gowns, and they do look beautiful. But we never take them. Blazer and tan slacks will be fine. My husband takes a sport coat, slacks, and tie, and he fits in just fine. We've done Princess for two trans Atlantics and many pax were dressed this way. We're taking Princess Alaskan cruise/tour in May. We only travel with carryons these days, so no room for actual formal clothes. It's never been a problem.

I take a Travelsmith navy sportcoat with matching navy slacks. They crush down to very small in the carry on (us too-only carry ons) and all wrinkles hang out quickly. Couple of ties and you are good to go. On transatlantics we take the tux but then on transatlantics the evening is the entertainment.:D Alaska in general is more casual and remember it will be light very late so it just doesn't feel "formal" imho.:D

How formal are the formal nights on a Princess Alaska Cruise?

Princess says "Tuxedo, dark suit, or dinner jacket and slacks for men."

Is that what actually happens onboard?

Would a navy blazer and tan slacks be sufficient?

You will not be turned away. However, every Princess cruise I take, regardless of where it is, most follow the suggested dress. A week of so ago on the Sapphire 10-day cruise to the Sea of Cortez, people were very dressed up even in Sabatini's and the Sterling Steakhouse in suits or black dresses. That's been my experience on other ships as well.

The policy does not change based on iteniary.

I appreciate that the policy does not change and I expected nothing else. However, my question concerned the reality.

In other words, what do people really do and how does the crew react? How strictly is it implemented?

My expectation is that people that come from a week of trekking around the interior of Alaska and had to pack for that, probably don't have much room in their 50 pounds of airline approved luggage for a tux or even a pair of formal shoes for that matter.

I've read and understand the policy. But, policy and the implementation there of do not always match. Have you ever exceeded a speed limit and not gotten a ticket?

I want to fit in, but I have been on a cruise where the guys in tuxes were a very small minority. On that cruise, about the same number of guys were tieless as the number in tuxes. I think that tieless was definitely NOT in the spirit of a formal night.

This is all about not being out of place.

We have done the Princess Voyage of the Glaciers twice, once in 2010 that was our first cruise ever, and then again in 2013. I took my Tux on the first one and dress slacks, sport coat, dress shirt and tie for the second one. I own my own tux since my wife and I go to some formal social ballroom dances where a tux is the appropriate attire. I find my tux actually takes up less space than my sport coat and slacks.

We find most men wear either suits or sport coats on formal nights, but I like to get use out of my tux.

Also, when we did our Alaska cruise tours, we took three suitcases. One contained only clothing we would need on the ship. The other two contained what we needed for the land tour plus the cosmetics, hair stuff, and all the things my wife needs to enhance her natural beauty, plus any extra clothing. For the one where we did the land tour prior to the southbound cruise, Princess kept the ship suitcase in Anchorage, and it was delivered to our stateroom when we embarked the ship. For the one where we did the northbound cruise prior to the land tour, Princess again kept the ship suitcase for us when we disembarked and we received it on our last night in Anchorage before flying home.

When we went to Alaska a few years ago on the Golden we saw everything from Tuxedo's to khaki's/jeans and a polo shirt on formal night and they were all admitted to the dining room. It was a much more relaxed formal night then any other cruise we had been on and my food still tasted the same ;)