Southern Caribbean - 2 Different Itineraries

Hello,

I'm looking at the 2 cruises out of San Juan, PR and was wondering if you guys had a preference of the 2 different itineraries. If it helps my wife is really hoping for beautiful beach days.

Thanks,

Mike

One itinerary has 5 port stops and the other has 4 port stops. So if you are most interested in a real beach (as opposed to sea days on the ship), then take the one with 5 ports.

Depending on the time of year there are two different RCI ships that sail from San Juan - Jewel and Adventure is there this fall/winter. I *think* only Adventure has the four stop itinerary - St. Thomas, St. Kitts, Aruba and Curacao. I'm assuming the 5 stop is some combination of St. Thomas, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, St. Lucia, Barbados, Antigua, Martinique?

We are taking the four stop itinerary for Thanksgiving - but that is because we are traveling with smaller children. For adults, take the 5 stop one all the way. We did one on Celebrity a few years ago - just the two of us - and it was lovely. The islands on the 5 stop itinerary tend to be more lush and mountainous - which is spectacular both when pulling into port but also when laying on the beach. Aruba and Curacao, while very lovely places with beautiful beaches, have more of a scrub/desert landscape and aren't mountainous.

I really advise getting at least a balcony for a S. Carib itinerary. Nothing like coffee and breakfast on your own balcony while pulling into port each day.

I love a good beach too, and have sailed both itineraries. If you're looking for beach days, I would go with the itinerary with 5 stops. We loved the beaches in Antigua and Barbados. Looks like the itineraries are a little different, but if you stop in St. Thomas, take the ferry to St. John's and head to Trunk Bay. One of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen!

My humble opinion is the leg that includes Aruba & Curacao. It was so much better when it included St. Maarten some years ago. Also, like the Voyager class ship, which I understand that Navigator will replace the Adventure in '15.

I'm sorry I should have put in my travel dates. We are looking at this March and April (this northeast winter is driving us crazy). There seems to be a few different options. Balconies are very cheap on the 4/19 cruise but the ports don't seem as interesting as the 3/29 cruise.

3/29 - Jewel of the Seas - Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; St. Croix, Usvi; St. Johns, Antigua; Martinique, French West Indies; Castries, St. Lucia; San Juan, Puerto Rico.

4/19 - Jewel of the Seas - Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Tortola, Bvi; St. Maarten; St. Kitts (Basseterre); Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The only port of both cruises we haven't been to is Martinique. You'll get opinions, but the fact is beautiful beaches can be found on ALL of them.

I'd choose 3/29 Jewel with the 5 ports. We'll be on that cruise:D

+1 on the balcony!

Edited by bouhunter

We just came back from the same itinerary as 3/29 and have done the other one as well. Both are excellent. That being said St Lucia is our favorite island and Antigua had amazing beaches. There are excellent non ship options on both, Cosol tours on St. Lucia and a daypass to Coconut Beach resort in Antigua. Both of these outings really made our trip.

I would take the 4/19, Barbados has the prettiest beaches of all these islands. Also, St. Maarten has Orient beach which is probably the 2nd prettiest beach of all the islands.

Barbados and St Martin have great beaches. But to say ANY of these islands has the "best" or "prettiest" beaches is not possible and very subjective. Some people like the long, open beaches like Orient, others the beautiful sheltered ones like Trunk Bay, the one at the Pitons on St. Lucia, or the Baths on Tortola. Some people would rank quiet secluded ones at the top, some prefer busy active ones like Orient, etc etc etc......

No matter what you choose, all the islands on those cruises will offer incredible beaches.

Edited by bouhunter

Barbados and St Martin have great beaches. But to say ANY of these islands has the "best" or "prettiest" beaches is not possible and very subjective. Some people like the long, open beaches like Orient, others the beautiful sheltered ones like Trunk Bay, the one at the Pitons on St. Lucia, or the Baths on Tortola. Some people would rank quiet secluded ones at the top, some prefer busy active ones like Orient, etc etc etc......

No matter what you choose, all the islands on those cruises will offer incredible beaches.

After taking the Southern Caribbean route twice...that really sums up our views as well - nice job.

You can't go wrong as both are nice itins, and have great beaches as others have said. We have been to all the ports except Tortola. We really liked Barbados. Wonderful beaches, easy access, good shopping. Antigua is wonderful also, with 365 beaches, Nelson's dockyard, etc. Wife really liked Dominica. Unspoiled lush foliage, caves, Pirates of Caribbean 2 filmed there.

For me it would be about price. Any of the islands on either of the options you have listed you can find great beaches that have different vibes, and options for what to do. Unless you have something very specific you want to do, I would go with the cheapest price.

I'm sorry I should have put in my travel dates. We are looking at this March and April (this northeast winter is driving us crazy). There seems to be a few different options. Balconies are very cheap on the 4/19 cruise but the ports don't seem as interesting as the 3/29 cruise.

3/29 - Jewel of the Seas - Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; St. Croix, Usvi; St. Johns, Antigua; Martinique, French West Indies; Castries, St. Lucia; San Juan, Puerto Rico.

4/19 - Jewel of the Seas - Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Tortola, Bvi; St. Maarten; St. Kitts (Basseterre); Roseau, Dominica; Bridgetown, Barbados; San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Oh my gosh!!!! These are my favorite cruising itineraries and would make for a very tough decision. What do you like? If you like developed ports with lots of shopping and nothing but white sand beaches, the 3/29 trip is probably better. If you want to get further off the beaten path, then the 4/19 trip is probably better.

Either will be amazing, I personally would take the 4/19 trip because it is further off the beaten path. Dominica does not have great white sand beaches or a modern developed port, but it is probably one of the lushest islands in the caribbean. Don't expect all of the chains typical to port towns. It is less developed than other islands. Definitely try to get a good tour of the island that includes mountains, waterfalls and Champaign Reef where a thermal feature has warm bubbles coming from the sea floor attracting a ton of fish - including seahorses.

Others have spoken re the other ports. I love Dominica, it is undeveloped and unspoiled. Experience it while it is still like that.