LittleMissMagic's 2014 8-Day Carnival BREEZE S.Caribbean Cruise - A Photo Review!

Loving your review!! We're doing the same iternary in 2 weeks, and also doing the dune buggies...glad you reminded me about the bandana's and sunglasses!! Great pics BTW and I just love your style of review, great mixture of photos (which you are fabulous at) and review!

Ahhh...your dune buggy pictures brought back fun memories of the 4x4 jeep excursion we did with friends in Mazatlan (Mexico). We were surprised by those cattle, a few of whom came right up to the jeep. Can you say freaked out? We were given bandanas, too, but I'm pretty sure they were included in the price of the excursion. I believe we all wore our own glasses/sunglasses.

You guys definitely win for dirtiest faces!

So funny that you mention the Rokinon lens, I have the 8mm 2.8f! Such an amazing and creative lens, I think it is my second favorite one.

I think I have just now hit the sweet spot with all my camera equipment. So far I have no interest in expanding it anytime soon. The olympus for the price is an underwater monster of a camera, and the RX100 is so simple to use and light that it is hard to justify using the NEX so often. I am mainly keeping the NEX for the Rokinon and low light food pictures. The RX100 still struggles in that department. But other than that the result of are excellent, not DSLR perfect, but definitely on the top of the spectrum of point and shoot cameras. I imagine the pics compare to the Nikon 1, although Sony and Nikon differ substantially in the technique of their results. At one point I had all Nikon, can't even recall why I sold... I think I loved the results, lol, go figure that one out...

Glad to know that you like the Rokinon! It's on my gear wish list, for sure.

I know what you mean with the RX100 - I have a group of photography friends who swear by it, some actually selling their DSLRs because they decided that was all they needed!

Nikon was the first camera I ever owned, and it just stuck for me. I wanted brand continuity because the idea is that you can use the NIKKOR lenses on the Nikon 1 body.... not that I've ever done that. I was actually considering selling my Nikon 1, but whenever I think that I might do that, I am reminded of why I like to have a compact camera!

Loving your review!! We're doing the same iternary in 2 weeks, and also doing the dune buggies...glad you reminded me about the bandana's and sunglasses!! Great pics BTW and I just love your style of review, great mixture of photos (which you are fabulous at) and review!

Thank you! I won't lie - a recent thread has me questioning the way that I write my reviews, but I hear from so many people who enjoy them that I don't think I'm going to take the suggestions in that thread too heavily.

We really enjoyed the Dune Buggy tour. The staff was very professional, and it was a fun ride. We were a little worried that the speed of the dune buggy was going to be governed, but they actually went along pretty fast. And once we switched for a dune buggy that had working brakes, Max could whip us around without the worry that we were going to end up in the sugar cane field.

After returning to the port, we stopped at the much smaller duty free store so that Max could purchase a souvenir glass (he collects!). We also decided to give Presidente a try...

13678985173_5e905fd834_b.jpg

Not fans. We were not fans.

13678948295_8e37805405_b.jpg

13678993853_be9ffbf6f9_b.jpg

Victoria,

I wouldn't change a thing in your writing style. Love it! I even seek you out when I know you have cruise/trip coming up - and a shortcut on my computer screen to your travel blog. I love reading your reviews on other ships just because of your writing style - knowing we will probably stick with Royal most of the time - just great reads!

Victoria,

I wouldn't change a thing in your writing style. Love it! I even seek you out when I know you have cruise/trip coming up - and a shortcut on my computer screen to your travel blog. I love reading your reviews on other ships just because of your writing style - knowing we will probably stick with Royal most of the time - just great reads!

Thank you! I'm glad to know there are people who enjoy my "trip report" style reviews. And one day I will get back to Royal.... Max has actually put in a request for the Allure or Oasis!

Max was still sunburned and did not want anymore sun. He did, however, agree to check out the top deck. I was interested in seeing the sports deck and ropes course.

13700232875_647d52a91f_b.jpg

I know pools on cruise ships are always really small... but the main pool on the Carnival Breeze seemed ridiculously so. On the bright side, there were plenty of deck chairs on the main level.

13700252993_a5336002df_b.jpg

There were actually five baseball fields visible from port. A few years ago, I had watched a documentary in Spanish about how boys from the Dominican Republic grow up eating, sleeping, and playing baseball. Their goal is to be recruited to play professionally in the United States so that they will be able to bring money to their families.

13700232605_e6ffa1450c_b.jpg

13700584724_3ca4d7fc96_b.jpg

I loved the aft pool, but I actually never swam in it.

13700231805_4e4666b6d3_b.jpg

13700229695_0cc5d7933c_b.jpg

Edited by LittleMissMagic

13700231865_b5f5d1e622_b.jpg

There is this funny concept of an outdoor gym on the sports deck (the Royal Princess had similar outdoor workout stations). Max and I played around on the machines, and they are really just that - toys. The bikes, ellipticals, leg presses, etc. had NO RESISTANCE!

If you want to feel as if you have superman strength, I suggest that you do a some push-ups and then lift your body on this machine - you will fly!

13700231665_89ef845fd1_b.jpg

13700581754_2880eb3dc6_b.jpg

The ropes course is also a recently popular amenity among the list of "novelties at sea." The new Norwegian Breakaway and Norwegian Getaway also have ropes courses which look a bit more invigorating.

13700255303_7482d60bbd_b.jpg

13700229135_dffd082b83_b.jpg

13700583234_3edfe3f060_b.jpg

All of the crowds were on the pool deck...

13700230085_9902431f96_b.jpg

Max and I wanted to enjoy some pre-dinner cocktails at the Piano Bar. Well, like I said earlier, it turned out that the pianist was an absolutely terrible vocalist. I think my ears bled. We did order cocktails, but after a bit, Max decided that he just couldn't take it anymore.

13700228685_3022b4779b_b.jpg

We were lucky to be practically alone in the dining room again. As soon as we came in, Subrata wanted to take our picture. It really was kind of him because besides our GoPro selfies, these are really the only pictures we have together.

13700253793_993500e74f_b.jpg

13700253573_66a3ee8d29_b.jpg

Subrata recommended the Yukon Gold Potato Cream Soup

13700229815_0a0f9b3dd3_b.jpg

Max and I were both excited to try the Shark and Langoustino Fire Cracker Roll.

13700581264_c32a2e07fc_b.jpg

I remembered the Black Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas being surprisingly good on the Carnival Dream back in 2010 and was delighted to find the entree on the menu, again (I hear the menu is changing, though... good thing I got this while I could!).

So at the end of dinner, Subrata comes up to us with the two assistant waiters following behind, holding a cake with two lit candles.

"It is your anniversary, correct?"

"Ummm.... it can be!" (Max thought that was hilarious.)

"How many years?"

"Uh... [quick mental math] four and a half!" (Good thing I didn't mess that up or Max would have something to tease me about for the rest of the week!)

Then they had us hold hands while they sang, "Happy anniversary to you!"

13700257213_636ebfe62f_b.jpg

And then, of course I had to dance, again!

13700257233_ce42dbd3e0_b.jpg

That evening was the Red Frog's Caribbean Beach Party. Max ordered a bucket of Blue Moon from the Red Frog Pub. He was told that they couldn't give him the bottles because they were glass. So instead, the bartender poured six bottles into cups. I'm sure that you can imagine that by the time you reach your last few cups, it doesn't taste too great anymore.

Let it be known that Max loves to dance. So after we finished those cups of Blue Moon (I can't say I recommend...), we danced for as long as he could tolerate the terrible DJ JonCarlos. I don't remember which back-to-back song combination led to Max throwing his hands up in the air and saying, "I've had it!" but it was a popular up beat song which had everyone on the dance floor.... and then all of a sudden it went into Celine Dion "A Moment Like This." WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

13700585554_f174f16fec_b.jpg

Wednesday, March 19, 2014 - Aruba

Max requested to eat breakfast in the dining room - that's something I haven't done in several cruises! It turns out that Max paid a great deal of attention every evening when Subrata would tell us what was in store for dining the next day because he always knew where the special food was.

We wanted a table for two and had to wait a bit for it, but the view was well worth it...

13705999624_53948abe72_b.jpg

Service felt rushed and impersonal. When we were ordering, I asked for an omelette with scrambled eggs. "Do you want an omelette or scrambled eggs?" I couldn't have both? I was caught off-guard and told him just the eggs.... big mistake!!!

13705656013_e49b83f99a_b.jpg

13706003044_01d299b61c_b.jpg

Omelette presentation wasn't exactly on point, though. It looks pretty pathetic and small on that large white plate. Needs some decoration!

One of Max's complaints was that the schedule would be filled full of activities, but none of them were very interesting. What I want to know is do people actually go to activities like "Look 10 years younger in 10 minutes?" Maybe I should go to that.... do you think it would work? :D

We tried to play trivia, but it's such a popular activity that we could never get a table or a card (possibly because there is nothing else interesting on the schedule). I also really stink at trivia because I am too young to really know anything. But if they had Disney trivia or architecture trivia, I think I could hold my own.

13705650395_84cd9b775b_b.jpg

If you aren't interested in Aruba, it would definitely be a good day to spend at the pool on the ship - it was almost completely empty!

13705649995_6c8303589e_b.jpg

13705655373_293ed0a149_b.jpg

13705655323_b2b2702d5a_b.jpg

13705649565_bc15a1c809_b.jpg

What I wasn't too happy with were the photographs that it took. The distortion isn't quite fisheye. If I were going to buy the GoPro for a still camera, I think I would rather spend the money on the Rokinon 8mm f/3.8 fisheye lens. I also really missed a viewfinder. I understand that it can't be as small as it is and have a viewfinder, but shooting blindly ("no scope" Max would say) leaves many composition surprises.

I love my Rokinon fisheye lens. I have the f/3.5. For a relatively inexpensive lens, I got some fabulous shots on the Allure.

I highly recommend that you & Max go on the Allure (or Oasis). I'd be one of the first subscribers to your review. Definitely get a fisheye lens before going on one of the big girls. I hadn't planned on getting one as soon as I did, until I saw this thread started by WhiteSoxFan

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860638

His photos were an inspiration when I was wandering around the Allure with my fisheye.

These are just two of the many I took using the fisheye lens.

12556357744_78cd0dd200.jpg

12555590754_edfa5c3dab.jpg

Edited by Cruzin-K

13705650335_7339f5fd88_b.jpg

13705655583_9cf2855785_b.jpg

We weren't scheduled to arrive in Aruba until 2:00 PM, and we were a bit behind schedule. I was well-prepared for the line to depart the ship to be absolutely miserable. And it was. We caught up with the line on deck 5....

13705649715_596483c436_b.jpg

They made a few announcements suggesting that people wait until later to leave the ship. We weren't going to do that because by that point, we had already invested 15 minutes in that line, and we also wanted to get off the ship as soon as possible so that we could get an afternoon at the beach in before returning to the ship.

Over half an hour later when we finally made it off the ship, the line to get a taxi was also very ridiculous. There was a sign with prices, and I recognized Eagle Beach (where we went the last time we were in Aruba) at $12. Max was completely on-board with going someplace that I'd been before, though I told him I really did not care. It turns out that there was a bus going to Eagle Beach for $4 per person - score!

I love my Rokinon fisheye lens. I have the f/3.5. For a relatively inexpensive lens, I got some fabulous shots on the Allure.

I highly recommend that you & Max go on the Allure (or Oasis). I'd be one of the first subscribers to your review. Definitely get a fisheye lens before going on one of the big girls. I hadn't planned on getting one as soon as I did, until I saw this thread started by WhiteSoxFan

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1860638

His photos were an inspiration when I was wandering around the Allure with my fisheye.

These are just two of the many I took using the fisheye lens.

Oh my goodness, I'm in love - those are fabulous shots, Karen! And is that Promenade shot hand held? That actually really makes me want to purchase a Rokinon fisheye before going on the Disney Fantasy in a month. Hmmmm....

Every trip report I write, people tell me that I have to go on the Allure or Oasis! I'm beginning to believe it....

I know that Allure/Oasis is number one on Max's wish list (I'll be honest.... I really want to go on one, as well!), so I'm hoping to introduce him to Royal Caribbean as soon as possible! He's actually quite spoiled considering that in his first year of cruising, he'll have sailed the NCL Epic, Carnival Breeze, and Disney Fantasy.... he's already expressed concern that he wouldn't like smaller, older ships as much. What a diva! :D

............ What I want to know is do people actually go to activities like "Look 10 years younger in 10 minutes?" Maybe I should go to that.... do you think it would work? :D..................

If it does be sure to not spend 30 minutes doing it or you may disappear......:cool:

Eagle Beach was almost completely different than I remembered it!

See... the first time I was in Aruba, it was 7AM, and the tide was ridiculously high. So high that the water would rush up under our chairs...

8338586582_21837c043b_b.jpg

Well, this time, it was late in the afternoon and at low tide!

13705649335_ecaa366c24_b.jpg

The beach was so large yet uncrowded. We purchased chairs from the beach attendant for $15 for two. Max gave him a $20 bill, and the guy didn't give him any change back until Max spoke up, "Wait - I thought you said it was $15?" "Oh, yes! Here you go - " Mmmhmmm...

He told us to pick a spot and he'd come find us. We chose in front of the jet skis.

13705654793_9ed3254637_b.jpg

Well, we waited... and waited. And watched everyone else after us purchase and get chairs. I told Max that he needed to go and remind him. It turns out the guy had just misplaced us.

13705655053_3a199fe2cc_b.jpg

Oh my goodness, I'm in love - those are fabulous shots, Karen! And is that Promenade shot hand held? That actually really makes me want to purchase a Rokinon fisheye before going on the Disney Fantasy in a month. Hmmmm....

Every trip report I write, people tell me that I have to go on the Allure or Oasis! I'm beginning to believe it....

I know that Allure/Oasis is number one on Max's wish list (I'll be honest.... I really want to go on one, as well!), so I'm hoping to introduce him to Royal Caribbean as soon as possible! He's actually quite spoiled considering that in his first year of cruising, he'll have sailed the NCL Epic, Carnival Breeze, and Disney Fantasy.... he's already expressed concern that he wouldn't like smaller, older ships as much. What a diva! :D

Yes, I had to go back and check, and that shot was one that I took on the first morning of the ship when I couldn't sleep so I grabbed my camera and went down to the promenade for some photos. I set the ISO at 5000 and hoped for the best :D I was kicking myself for not bringing my tripod when I saw how deserted the ship was. :o

Later in the cruise, I dragged myself out of bed and remembered to bring my tripod, but couldn't quite do it at 5:30, so 6:30 it was. As you can see, there were some crazy people willingly up at that hour getting coffee. This is the tripod shot, at ISO 100. I forgot to change the time on my camera, so the exif data is off by an hour.

12566346543_d7484a9c41.jpg

Edited by Cruzin-K