Plans for Post-Regal New Shipbuilds?

LastUsernameEver

Post #7 in this thread is from Pam_In_CA, and she writes:

"When I was on the Royal, there were two pools on the ship... the main pool and the Retreat pool which has nothing to do with the Sanctuary, which has no pool."

The main pool area, while split into two bodies of water...feels like one pool area...hence Pam's post.

We are elite on Princess (22 cruises), elite on Celebrity, cruise HAL, Cunard and NCL recently.

The new Royal design is so similar to the newer Celebrity ships, that if I wanted to cruise on a ship with this design I might as well book Celebrity. It is not my favorite design even on Celebrity, only book if I want the itinerary. We are booked on the Silhoutte in October because it is spending 3 days in Israel. We have family and friends to visit there so booked it.

We cruised on the Grand last September, first time since our 1st cruise on the Grand in l998. Had a great time. Would go back on the Grand again, my favorite Princess ship is actually the Ruby. Have done the Star a few times and we are booked on it again in 2015.

There are a lot of options for those who don't like the new Royal design, the older Princess ships, Holland America, and Cunard offer similar cruise experience to Princess.

Let Princess build the bigger ships, like Celebrity to attrack newer cruisers to these ships, as long as those of us who wish to have a more traditional cruise experience can find what we want, I am okay.

We leave on Holland America's Nieuw Amsterdam in 2 weeks... will enjoy a nice balcony, the main deck, nice lounges over the bow, and traditional dining on a 14 day TA.

My sister just returned from a week on the Royal. Her feedback was it was nice but she still prefers the older Princess ships. I may cruise on the Royal or the Regal one day, if I find the right itinerary, like we did on the Silhouette this year.

Princess, Celebrity, NCL, even HAL are building bigger ships not for us but for the newer cruisers who may spend a lot more money aboard - it is all about the money.

I don't have an issue with the size of the new ships so I wouldn't care if they kept them big but I do hope that they listen to some of the feedback on Royal and go back to some of the design elements that make Princess great. And stop making ships with balconies designed for smurfs!

Post #7 in this thread is from Pam_In_CA, and she writes:

"When I was on the Royal, there were two pools on the ship... the main pool and the Retreat pool which has nothing to do with the Sanctuary, which has no pool."

The main pool area, while split into two bodies of water...feels like one pool area...hence Pam's post.

I see your point, and Pam's, but there are two distinct, actual pools. Yes, it felt like one large open pool area. There are two pools.

Main Pool area, Lido Deck amid ships

11562659463_65fd619dcb_c.jpg

Fountain Pool

11205472133_ef9f4dfc69_c.jpg

Plunge Pool

11205437966_58f37272cc_c.jpg

I don't have an issue with the size of the new ships so I wouldn't care if they kept them big but I do hope that they listen to some of the feedback on Royal and go back to some of the design elements that make Princess great. And stop making ships with balconies designed for smurfs!

One thing I am noticing about brand new ship designs, is that the exterior promenade seems to be a thing of the past. I think there was some debate on the Holland-America forum as to whether their new ship actually has a wrap around promenade, and whether the lifeboats rested on deck instead of suspended above. Looking at the new build by MSC their lifeboats seems to rest on deck as well, with very little actual promenade.

Rendering of MSC new build

newmsc.jpg

(Maritime Matters)

Rendering of Holland-America new build

HAL_Pinnacle_class.jpg

Judging by your picture Dave, I think we could call the plunge pool the kiddie pool. So two pools for people over 4ft :)

Although I did see adults using the plunge pool (I'm sure I have a picture somewhere ;)), it appeared to be the default pool for kids.

Have you sailed on the Royal yet? If not, how can you hate something you've never experienced?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the bigger ships are the way most cruise lines are going. Maybe you should consider Seabourn or Azamara.

I have and I agree with the OP.....:):):)

Bob

Am I correct in thinking that the new Quantum-class ships will also not have a 'walking' promenade deck, but something closer to what Royal Princess has?

I haven't really followed much about quantum and anthem, but judging by the deck plan it looks a bit more open, but definitely not a wrap around

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

Deck 5

I haven't really followed much about quantum and anthem, but judging by the deck plan it looks a bit more open, but definitely not a wrap around

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

Deck 5

From actual images, the lifeboats on the Quantum-class appear to be deck mounted like the Solstice-class. It may have the same narrow walking space between the lifeboats and the bulkhead, but that is yet to be seen until the ship comes a bit further along in her construction as to what kind of 'promenade' she has.

Quantum of the Seas, aft looking forward along the starboard side

13418962594_79467bf839_b.jpg

(MeyerWerft)

Edited by dmwnc1959

One thing I am noticing about brand new ship designs, is that the exterior promenade seems to be a thing of the past. I think there was some debate on the Holland-America forum as to whether their new ship actually has a wrap around promenade, and whether the lifeboats rested on deck instead of suspended above. Looking at the new build by MSC their lifeboats seems to rest on deck as well, with very little actual promenade.

The new Holland America build, Pinnacle class is based on the same platform as the Costa Luminosa and is slightly larger at 99,700 tons versus the 92,720 tons for the former. Modifications include 2 more decks added forward plus lowering of the lifeboats unlike the Costa version. My guess is that would interfere with a true wrap around promenade.

Costa Luminosa illuminated promenade deck featured in this photo:

COSTA_LUMINOSA.jpg

Photo credit-Marine Traffic.com

The new Holland America build, Pinnacle class is based on the same platform as the Costa Luminosa and is slightly larger at 99,700 tons versus the 92,720 tons for the former. Modifications include 2 more decks added forward plus lowering of the lifeboats unlike the Costa version. My guess is that would interfere with a true wrap around promenade.

Costa Luminosa illuminated promenade deck featured in this photo...

That was my guess as well.

So much non-Princess discussion. Interesting.

The point of which has been, the promenade deck of the Grand-class ships may be a thing of the past. With so many brand new builds by different parent companies seemingly eliminating a full-wrap around promenade deck, or any promenade deck at all, I would not expect it to return on the next class of Princess ships. Or at least what past Princess guests are accustomed to from the Grand/Gem/Crown/Coral classes and sub-classes of ships, and more in line of what you see on Royal Princess.

:D

Understood. I've been away from the boards for a time. I just read up on the new lifeboat regulations...now I get it.

Yes, I'd love a wraparound Promenade. That danged Captain Schitino (sp)!

Apologies.

No worries, and no apology necessary. ;)

There was a 'hint' made last year prior to Royal Princess entering service that a new lifeboat regulation (pre or post-Costa Concodia no one knew) may have an effect on brand new ship design. Some ships plans already approved may have been grandfathered into the old rules, but as of yet no one has stated beyond the shadow of a doubt that 'new' rules are indeed the cause of all of these new changes.

As bdjam said earlier...it seems that there must be some more clever way to work the lifeboats into the ship while adhering to the new regulations (I am only paraphrasing bdjam) while keeping a wraparound Promenade.

There is...look at the Norwegian Breakaway-class ships. But would Princess loyalists stand for having the clean lines of their ships 'destroyed' by having the lifeboats mounted to the SIDE of the ship and sticking out instead of ON the promenade deck, if it gave them back a partial but not completely 'wrap around' promenade?

breakaway%20053.jpg

(gravehunterblogspot)

8686348303_338615bfb4.jpg

(Wessel Blokzijl flickr)

Edited by dmwnc1959

Not been on Royal yet. I have plans to try her out for a Carribean cruise for Dec15. Just waiting on Princess to release the itinerary's later this year.

I've read alot of reviews and threads. There seems to be as many people love it as don't (I note the low approval rating compared to other classes also). Personally I am happy whenever I'm cruising, so I'm hard to dissapoint. Out of all the points people raise for not liking it, I think the only one's that will make me take notice (and raised by the OP) would be the tiny balconies, and the lack of a promendade deck. Don't get me wrong, I know I will have a ball regardless, but they would be the two features I can see myself camparing to the smaller class ships.

Not sure how Princess will go post Regal. It's a business, so if it's a profitable and efficient design that's filling the cabins - one would wonder why the would break a winning formula (even with complaints). If it's not filling the cabins or their loyalty overall drops, maybe they will re-think..?

Speaking of amid ship pool decks and how the surrounding area/design is affected by the rest of the ship....

New ship designs have more restaurants/venues located away from each other requiring different exhaust uptakes from their kitchens. In early 2013 I noticed a similarity/difference between the Royal Princess and Norwegian Breakaway, and that was a superstructure that housed the forward stair column and elevator bank, as well as the forward exhaust uptake.

On Norwegian Breakaway this blockhouse superstructure in located mostly on the lido pool area and overlapping onto the next deck forward, making for some really crowded, chopped up areas, whereas on Royal Princess they placed that same entire superstructure up off of the lido pool deck.

Norwegian Breakaway, note the forward block house (lido deck) and vent shaft

ueberfuehrung37-vi.jpg

Royal Princess, forward block house moved up off of pool deck

11543299696_4732402921_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959