Plans for Post-Regal New Shipbuilds?

LastUsernameEver

I loved the Sun Class, the Grand Class, the Island Class and the Diamond (gem) Class...but, I can't stand the Royal (and hence, the future Regal).

I have been, and continue to be, a Princess loyalist...but, if the ships I love are eventually phased-out, I'll need to find another favorite.

I understand cruise lines can't turn back time, but, any chance on future ships they'll include some of the old favorites, like more pools (preferably fee-free), especially an Aft-Pool...a Skywalkers, a bit forward like on the Diamond so as not to cover the aft pool...wedding-cake tiered balconies, with a Caribe deck for a special half covered half uncovered outdoor experience, etc?

Of course they can add features, like a mega-piazza, if they want. But, those of us who've been kicking around a while know what we're missing when we see a tiny balcony on a minisuite...or just one pool area. Because really...there's just the one on Royal, aside from the Sanctuary.

Someone, please...tell me Princess HQ is getting the message.

Have you sailed on the Royal yet? If not, how can you hate something you've never experienced?

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the bigger ships are the way most cruise lines are going. Maybe you should consider Seabourn or Azamara.

Sorry, Working2Cruise, I forgot to mention that I cruised on the Royal earlier this month, in a minisuite...that had the smallest balcony I've ever had on Princess.

I'm not sure where in my post you think I'm requesting a smaller ship, so, there's no "bubble" of mine to pop there. I adore large ships...but, the way the space is used (on the Lido deck for example), doesn't seem, well, Princess-like.

If I was to boil it down to simply the lack of tiered-balconies and the smaller number of pool areas I might be OK.

As far as you recommending Azamara or Seabourn: Really? How similar are these products...or price-points for that matter?

Seems as though you think I might have been indicating I want a more "white-glove" kind of experience. Nothing could be further from my original post's intention.

I simply want what loyal Princess customers have come to expect from their ships. Larger is fine...the more the merrier from where I stand.

But...I'd prefer to keep our "darlings" on future ships.

I loved the Sun Class, the Grand Class, the Island Class and the Diamond (gem) Class...but, I can't stand the Royal (and hence, the future Regal).

I have been, and continue to be, a Princess loyalist...but, if the ships I love are eventually phased-out, I'll need to find another favorite.

I understand cruise lines can't turn back time, but, any chance on future ships they'll include some of the old favorites, like more pools (preferably fee-free), especially an Aft-Pool...a Skywalkers, a bit forward like on the Diamond so as not to cover the aft pool...wedding-cake tiered balconies, with a Caribe deck for a special half covered half uncovered outdoor experience, etc?

Of course they can add features, like a mega-piazza, if they want. But, those of us who've been kicking around a while know what we're missing when we see a tiny balcony on a minisuite...or just one pool area. Because really...there's just the one on Royal, aside from the Sanctuary.

They aren't listening. If they did there wouldn't have been the Regal or Royal.

This is your post Regal/Royal build, sailing in Feb '16. Aft pool, large balconies and promenade deck.

One thing however, it is not a Princess ship.

hal-pinnacle-class.jpg

http://www.hollandamerica.com/news/NewsRelease.action?newsReleaseId=1152

Edited by need2cruisesoon

Because really...there's just the one on Royal, aside from the Sanctuary.
When I was on the Royal, there were two pools on the ship... the main pool and the Retreat pool which has nothing to do with the Sanctuary, which has no pool. :)

People cruise for different reasons and aside from the cruises I tend to take which are longer and have a lot of Platinum and Elite, Princess is marketing to a much broader demographic than they used to, people who couldn't care less about how cruising used to be. They want quick, casual dining, hamburgers and Mac 'n cheese on the menu, bands playing, and non-stop activities. Princess no longer is the line to "Escape completely" but is now, "Come back new," whatever that means. Has anyone figured that out yet?

Anyway, follow the money. Always. The large ships are cheaper to operate and the line makes more money. That's the bottom line. Fewer and fewer are willing to pay the premium fares to sail the smaller ships. Not something I'm happy about but that's the financial reality.

Edited by Pam in CA

Personally, I very much dislike the mega size ships and avoid them. Just not fun at all with 4,000+ other people.

My wish for the next builds would be to replace the Diamond and Sapphire that we are losing. My hunch is that after the marketing and money invested in making them asian friendly we will never get them back. JMHO

The OP does sound like they're hating the bigger ships, but I don't feel like the the Regal / Royal bumping up to 3,600 pax is going overboard compared to the other lines.

I'll admit I really like the CB/Crown/Emerald / Ruby, and 3,000 pax is the "right amount" of pax for me. But the Regal/Royal bumping up to 3600 doesn't phase me.

If you're going to "find another favorite" Like what? That's a fair question that several have asked... The newer RCCL ships (most often the line most compared to Princess) is building 5,400 passenger ships. I'll never go on a floating shopping mall. They haven't built a ship with under 4k passengers since 2004. On their older ships, the staterooms (which we rarely spend time in) are the size of a postage stamp.

Celebrity (another frequent comparison to Princess) would be a pretty good bet and I really do look forward to trying them. Their newer ships are bumping to 3k. Maybe that will be a line to try.

The newer NCL ships are also 4k pax, and in some areas look like they picked their colors from the "art deco" section of the CCL designer handbook. Sorry, I am biased, but even though I get some screaming good deals on NCL, I won't go back....

HAL.... ? They do have smaller ships..

I guess I understand your point, but if Princess is your "sweet spot" in terms of cruise lines, there just aren't many good alternatives...

My wife and I just got back from a cruise on the Royal and like you did not like the ship; nothing to do with the size. The size is fine, the Piazza is very pretty, we liked Alfredo's, the International Cafe, etc. but like you said the balconies are tiny (3' 7" deep, cannot sit there and face the sea). What a shame when balconies these days are all the rage. This is the case on essentially all balcony, deluxe balcony and mini-suites staterooms with rare exceptions. While technically there are 3 pools (no aft pool) the so called splash pool is the size of a large hot tub, nothing more (this is due to the fountains they added). The Retreat pool upfront was moved up one floor in comparison to the Grand class and it has very little wind protection. On 2 of our 3 sea days it was unusable even though the seas/winds were just typical Caribbean; only on one day with a strong aft wind was it ok to sit there and not get blown all over the place. The tower-like structure behind the Retreat makes the wind situation worse. The main pool was very crowed as a result.

Based on complaints about the Royal, Princess will be adding an aft pool on the Regal but pictures of the construction show it to be about the size of the splash pool as it is a retrofit, not in the original design. They also will open up the Promenade deck somewhat but also as a retrofit; will be very narrow in most places and not at all like the great promenades of the Grand class. I and others have written letters to Princess. Hope they listen....

Edited by bluesea321

You will never see the "great promenades" on any new ship. Heck, there hasn't been one on a Princess ship in years. The newer Princess ships have narrow promenade areas, no chairs or loungers and you can't walk around without going up or down stairs. With the new safety regulations, life boats must be on the deck, not suspended above, to facilitate loading in an emergency. You can thank Costa and Captain Shettino for that.

Edited by Pam in CA

You will never see the "great promenades" on any new ship. Heck, there hasn't been one on a Princess ship in years. The newer Princess ships have narrow promenade areas, no chairs or loungers and you can't walk around without going up or down stairs. With the new safety regulations, life boats must be on the deck, not suspended above, to facilitate loading in an emergency. You can thank Costa and Captain Shettino for that.

I am not talking about a Promenade like the Queen Mary of the old days. The Ruby built in 2008 was the last ship prior to the Royal and it had what I consider a great Promenade (just like the Grand, Crown, Emerald, Sapphire, etc). I could walk around the ship 360 (yes with some stairs) and I could look out the bow and on occasion see dolphins frolicking on the bow wave. Many people would exercise there by walking around and doing laps, much better than on a treadmill. This is a feature Princess could have kept but as you have mentioned on some of your posts, decisions are made by economics (it is a business after all). I only see Princess changing if the Royal/Regal are not that successful. Time will tell. On Cruise Critic the Royal gets a 66% approval rating while the Ruby gets 85%. In fact, the Royal has the lowest CC rating of all Princess ships regardless of age and worse, the lowest CC rating of all RCCL and Celebrity ships - not good news for a brand new design...

As the original poster, let me clarify (again)...that I do NOT, I repeat, do NOT have a problem with large, even mega-ships.

It is the placement of and removal of certain Princess standards, and the lack of different pool areas. To Mom33 who said:

"There are 3 pools on the Royal. No charge for any of them.

The Fountain Pool

The Dipping Pool

The Retreat Pool

Repeating.....3 pools...No charge"

The Fountain Pool and Dipping pool are, without question, in the same area. If there is a performance on the stage between the two pools, you will hear the music from both "pools". It's the same area. And the SECOND of the TWO pool areas, the Retreat pool, has four large "For Fee" cabanas sitting between the "not-for-fee" lounges. That is two pool areas. The main one, and the one adjacent to the Sanctuary cabanas.

The Diamond, by way of comparison, has the (1) The forward Lotus pool (wind-free, sunken one deck down, creating it's own environment). (2) Neptunes Reef and Pool (with a lot of performance space and MUTS), (3) Calypso (usually covered, in case of inclement weather) and (4) The WakeView Aft pool. At any of these pools, if a performance or event was happening...you wouldn't hear it in the slightest bit from the other pools.

So...it sounds to me as though my argument might even be for a LARGER ship, for more pool areas. So, let's get off the "OP doesn't like large ships" thing...I never said that.

The other faves, "Skywalkers", the tiered balconies...those I miss. But, the two main pool "AREAS" on the Royal is a major deal-breaker for me.

But if in 10/20 years they end up with 16 carbon copies of the Royal, well ...

I think this is the real worry, isn't it?

Everyone has their own favourite feature(s) on Princess, whatever they may be - and the fear that Princess will just, as Pam says, 'follow the money' makes me rather nervous.

If the Royal/Regal design turns out to be a real money spinner, one could understand that they might like to stick with it. At the moment, it's OK because we still have choices - but please, please, please Princess, continue to give us genuine choices in future, don't just build all your new ships the same.

As the original poster, let me clarify (again)...that I do NOT, I repeat, do NOT have a problem with large, even mega-ships.

It is the placement of and removal of certain Princess standards, and the lack of different pool areas. To Mom33 who said:

"There are 3 pools on the Royal. No charge for any of them.

The Fountain Pool

The Dipping Pool

The Retreat Pool

Repeating.....3 pools...No charge"

The Fountain Pool and Dipping pool are, without question, in the same area. If there is a performance on the stage between the two pools, you will hear the music from both "pools". It's the same area. And the SECOND of the TWO pool areas, the Retreat pool, has four large "For Fee" cabanas sitting between the "not-for-fee" lounges. That is two pool areas. The main one, and the one adjacent to the Sanctuary cabanas.

The Diamond, by way of comparison, has the (1) The forward Lotus pool (wind-free, sunken one deck down, creating it's own environment). (2) Neptunes Reef and Pool (with a lot of performance space and MUTS), (3) Calypso (usually covered, in case of inclement weather) and (4) The WakeView Aft pool. At any of these pools, if a performance or event was happening...you wouldn't hear it in the slightest bit from the other pools.

So...it sounds to me as though my argument might even be for a LARGER ship, for more pool areas. So, let's get off the "OP doesn't like large ships" thing...I never said that.

The other faves, "Skywalkers", the tiered balconies...those I miss. But, the two main pool "AREAS" on the Royal is a major deal-breaker for me.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I didn't realize the Royal only has a 66% approval rating. That's shocking to me, although I have been away from Princess for a while. Dang, we were thinking about heading to Venice to pick up the new Regal in August...

I also notices that the new RCCL ships, while still being enormous, will actually have slightly fewer passengers than the 5,400 person shopping malls... "trimming down" to 4,900..

Maybe I'm a closed-minded fool (well, definately a fool), but I just think the CB, Ruby, Emerald and Crown is just the right amount to big ship amenities and small ship feel...

I didn't realize the Royal only has a 66% approval rating. That's shocking to me, although I have been away from Princess for a while. Dang, we were thinking about heading to Venice to pick up the new Regal in August...

I also notices that the new RCCL ships, while still being enormous, will actually have slightly fewer passengers than the 5,400 person shopping malls... "trimming down" to 4,900..

Maybe I'm a closed-minded fool (well, definately a fool), but I just think the CB, Ruby, Emerald and Crown is just the right amount to big ship amenities and small ship feel...

I'd be fine with that number, Sheepdog. Seems like sometimes when Princess upsizes, though, like when the Diamond/Sapphire entered service, the ship didn't feel more crowded. So, it can be done right...this larger ship thing. They just got it wrong with Royal, in my opinion. And, so say the other 34% who weren't part of the 66% who "loved the Royal". Such a low approval for the newest ship. That isn't good.

When I was on the Royal, there were two pools on the ship... the main pool and the Retreat pool which has nothing to do with the Sanctuary, which has no pool. :)

People cruise for different reasons and aside from the cruises I tend to take which are longer and have a lot of Platinum and Elite, Princess is marketing to a much broader demographic than they used to, people who couldn't care less about how cruising used to be. They want quick, casual dining, hamburgers and Mac 'n cheese on the menu, bands playing, and non-stop activities. Princess no longer is the line to "Escape completely" but is now, "Come back new," whatever that means. Has anyone figured that out yet?

Anyway, follow the money. Always. The large ships are cheaper to operate and the line makes more money. That's the bottom line. Fewer and fewer are willing to pay the premium fares to sail the smaller ships. Not something I'm happy about but that's the financial reality.

I believe the whole "Come Back New" thing is referring to their belief that after taking a Princess cruise and seeing the world and all if has to offer in different regions that they travel one then becomes a new person having experienced these things.

I for one can't stand the new slogan. But that wont keep me from sailing with Princess again. The lower than average service that I experienced while I sailed on the new Royal, now that's a different story. I'll certainly go with Princess again but if the service on Royal is any indication of how Princess is becoming, I'll have to look elsewhere.

I agree totally. We just got off the CB on Sat after having been on the Ruby and Crown in the past year and a half. It was interesting to even see the difference between the CB and the more recent ships as we hadn't been on the CB since she was the latest and greatest many years ago. The slight changes Princess made after the CB was built to improve the coming Emerald, Ruby etc were perfect IMO and they are certainly my favs for size, layout and all the rest. We have not sailed the Royal but I know I would very much miss the Promenade deck and especially Explorers (my fav public venue). I would also not be a fan of tiny balconies. There was over 600 children on our cruise last week, the CB has lots of pools and they were still crowded, I can't imagine what that would be like on the Royal then.

I believe the whole "Come Back New" thing is referring to their belief that after taking a Princess cruise and seeing the world and all if has to offer in different regions that they travel one then becomes a new person having experienced these things.

I for one can't stand the new slogan. But that wont keep me from sailing with Princess again. The lower than average service that I experienced while I sailed on the new Royal, now that's a different story. I'll certainly go with Princess again but if the service on Royal is any indication of how Princess is becoming, I'll have to look elsewhere.

The "Come Back New" slogan doesn't bother me as much as the condescending "where you belong" and "escape completely" slogans. To which one wanted to reply, "do I NOT belong some places?" or "Is COMPLETE escape necessary from my life, is it THAT bad?"

"Come Back New" sort of implies that the thing coming back was somehow old...but, I prefer that imagery to the pathetic "Your Life Is Awful, Hop Onboard" slogans of the past.

;-)

Sorry, Working2Cruise, I forgot to mention that I cruised on the Royal earlier this month, in a minisuite...that had the smallest balcony I've ever had on Princess.

I'm not sure where in my post you think I'm requesting a smaller ship, so, there's no "bubble" of mine to pop there. I adore large ships...but, the way the space is used (on the Lido deck for example), doesn't seem, well, Princess-like.

If I was to boil it down to simply the lack of tiered-balconies and the smaller number of pool areas I might be OK.

As far as you recommending Azamara or Seabourn: Really? How similar are these products...or price-points for that matter?

Seems as though you think I might have been indicating I want a more "white-glove" kind of experience. Nothing could be further from my original post's intention.

I simply want what loyal Princess customers have come to expect from their ships. Larger is fine...the more the merrier from where I stand.

But...I'd prefer to keep our "darlings" on future ships.

Did you write a review anywhere? I would be interested in hearing your other experiences on Royal.:D

I hate the new slogan too! The only way I'd "come back new" would be to have plastic surgery and liposuction! I don't think the Medical Center is offering that....yet. It could be a money maker:D

I remember early last year (2013) I was considering booking the Celebrity Reflection and at the time it was less than a year old, maybe less than 6 months old, and the reviews were much lower than the rest of the Solstice class ships. I think it takes about a year for the reviews the average out and stabilize.

One thing is sure, Royal Princess wasn't the big bang that Princess was expecting - no matter how many tout it as the next great thing. The changes - albeit small - to Regal Princess show that Princess recognizes some of the issues with the prototype. It will be interesting to see where they go with their next newbuild.

[/font]

I think it was a little bit of a flop (Royal Princess) in terms of what Princess was expecting from the ship. It was hyped up and a lot of people brought into that hype and booked.

Some loved it, some liked it, however, a lot of people came back with a lot of things they did not care for. The fact that there have been some modifications to Regal speaks volumes in Princess concern that the Royal was the resounding success that anticipated it to be.

It will be interesting to see what type of ship Princess builds next.