Plans for Post-Regal New Shipbuilds?

LastUsernameEver

Interesting and informative discussion. Most all of us, "seasoned voyagers" truly miss the style, class and ambiance of the Love Boat type ships. I understand the business reasons for the newer ship designs that incorporate safety regulations and areas that appeal to the demographics of the market they are trying to reach. They have taken a classy way of travel and turned it into a floating theme park, more of a bus than a ship.

As the seasoned voyagers leave the market there will be fewer left to wish things were like they were in the "good 'ol days".

Not been on Royal yet. I have plans to try her out for a Carribean cruise for Dec15. Just waiting on Princess to release the itinerary's later this year.

Out of all the points people raise for not liking it, I think the only one's that will make me take notice (and raised by the OP) would be the tiny balconies, and the lack of a promendade deck. Don't get me wrong, I know I will have a ball regardless, but they would be the two features I can see myself camparing to the smaller class ships.

The Regal will be assuming the Royal's current 7 day itinerary for the 2014-15 winter season with the Royal moving to 10 day cruises; likely to be the same for 2015-16. I was on the Royal earlier this month and you can read my review if you like (bluesea321). The tiny balconies were of concern to me as I truly liked lounging on them on the Grand class of ships. The balconies are 3' 7'' deep and the chairs cannot be placed facing the ocean unless they are on the most upright position which is somewhat uncomfortable. Most people placed them facing each other at 90 degrees to the sea. The shallow balconies do not provide as much wind protection and the chairs are not as comfortable as the ones on the "Grands". Gone are the foot stools thus the ability to turn the chairs into recliners (no room for this). This is true of nearly all balcony, deluxe balcony and mini-suite staterooms. There are a few exceptions but not many - for instance those balconies directly below the sea walk (both sides) which have privacy issues and those facing forward or aft. The ones at the front cannot be used/opened while at sea. The ones aft have a soot issue. I sat on the starboard promenade terrace (by the rear side of deck 7) and there was a lot of soot raining down from the stacks even though the terrace was on the side of the ship.

There is...look at the Norwegian Breakaway-class ships. But would Princess loyalists stand for having the clean lines of their ships 'destroyed' by having the lifeboats mounted to the SIDE of the ship and sticking out instead of ON the promenade deck, if it gave them back a partial but not completely 'wrap around' promenade?

breakaway%20053.jpg

(gravehunterblogspot)

8686348303_338615bfb4.jpg

(Wessel Blokzijl flickr)

Hmm ... somehow this design reminds me of a momma Possum with all the babies hanging on ...

images.jpg.9d719e9cdd2bba73bd22b74246b04210.jpg

I think many people are fans of the promenade deck. I was on the CB last month and there were always lots of people walking on this deck during the day and even at night. I don't mind going up a flight of stairs to go forward and around to the other side. I just really enjoy being outside and breathing fresh air. I also enjoyed sitting in the shade that is on the promenade deck and reading a book. These new builds have lots of inside space but I (and I think lots of other cruisers) really do enjoy the promenade deck. Obviously I have not booked the Royal or the Regal.

I see in the latest press release that the new Quantum-class ships have completely eliminated traditional dining at set times in favor of five different complimentary open seating restaurants.

Will this be the next 'new thing' for Princess Cruises future ships? Would you miss traditional dining if it was eliminated?

The tiny balconies were of concern to me as I truly liked lounging on them on the Grand class of ships. The balconies are 3' 7'' deep and the chairs cannot be placed facing the ocean unless they are on the most upright position which is somewhat uncomfortable.

It does seem a cramped shame. The balcony is my private little piece of heavon I can call my own for the duration of the cruise.

Given many people are disliking this particular feature, did you notice if this increased crowds on the pool and sun deck loungers (that is people chose not to relax in their balconies).

These new builds have lots of inside space but I (and I think lots of other cruisers) really do enjoy the promenade deck. Obviously I have not booked the Royal or the Regal.

Over the next 20 years as cruise lines continue to build ships under new guidelines, as their fleets are spread (thin) far and wide across the globe to accommodate new cruising trends, as their aging fleets are gradually replaced with these newer, larger floating hotels and amusement parks, and these new ships have fewer and fewer amenities of the halcyon days (no promenade decks, no formal dining), I'm guess the aging, nostalgic passenger demographic will be replaced as well?

No oceanview cabins. The elimination of the only affordable cabin option is what is going to doom my continued loyalty if Princess keeps going in this direction. I would rather see them brought back on the Regal instead of a tiny bathtub-like afterthought of an aft pool.

Edited by rdsqrl

Given many people are disliking this particular feature, did you notice if this increased crowds on the pool and sun deck loungers (that is people chose not to relax in their balconies).

I remember reading a comment like this last year, to which someone responded that the actual number of people seen out enjoying their balconies was significantly less than one might think. Sure, there are those few who profess to camping out on their balcony for the duration of the cruise, but I'm guessing there is a much larger number of those who may only spend a brief time out there, or step out there to check the weather, then go topside to the sun decks anyways. ;)

No oceanview cabins. The elimination of the only affordable cabin option is what is going to doom my continued loyalty if Princess keeps going in this direction. I would rather see them brought back on the Regal instead of a tiny bathtub-like afterthought of an aft pool.

Too late.

Over the next 20 years as cruise lines continue to build ships under new guidelines, as their fleets are spread (thin) far and wide across the globe to accommodate new cruising trends, as their aging fleets are gradually replaced with these newer, larger floating hotels and amusement parks, and these new ships have fewer and fewer amenities of the halcyon days (no promenade decks, no formal dining), I'm guess the aging, nostalgic passenger demographic will be replaced as well?

I agree if you mean "mass market cruise lines". I really don't envision the near luxury or luxury lines taking on that strategy as old guys like you and me will still enjoy, as you say, the halcyon days of promenade decks and set dining times.:)

I see a bigger demographic split down the road as cruise lines battle for customers, new lines like Virgin and Viking Ocean will be significant players. Time will tell.

viking-star-stern-view.jpg

Viking Star

Edited by need2cruisesoon

I agree if you mean "mass market cruise lines". I really don't envision the near luxury or luxury lines taking on that strategy as old guys like you and me will still enjoy, as you say, the halcyon days of promenade decks and set dining times.:)

I see a bigger demographic split down the road as cruise lines battle for customers, new lines like Virgin and Viking Ocean will be significant players. Time will tell.

For many, the price point of the luxury and near-luxury cruise lines are just not an option. A lot of people want the cheapest cruise they can get on their favorite cruise line so that they can travel several times a year instead of blowing it all on one cruise.

As for me personally, I'd rather choose a buffet setting like on Royal Princess than that of dressing up in a tux and eating in the formal dining room. ;) But I won't be the one cruising in 2025 when the next rounds of mega ships hits the high seas. Maybe that's the demographic new designs are going to be aimed at?

You'll forgive me if I don't take your word as the last word on future ship design.

Unless one continues to speak out, change will never come.

I'm saying it's too late for Regal Princes, not all future ship design. Heck, even Quatum of the Seas has oceanview cabins.

But a lot of that has to do with how the different cruise lines decide on where to place their public spaces and venues. If they are all situated on the lowest decks, and some new regulation prevents them from suspending lifeboats above deck but instead have them deck mounted or hanging off the side, then Princess Cruises may have, by process of elimination, done away with ocean view cabins and replaced them with all exterior staterooms being balconies.

I agree if you mean "mass market cruise lines". I really don't envision the near luxury or luxury lines taking on that strategy as old guys like you and me will still enjoy, as you say, the halcyon days of promenade decks and set dining times.

I think Viking took what many ocean cruisers are getting fed up with and are deploying a product next year that answers many of the complaints heard today. While more expensive, it looks like depending how you like to cruise, they will be adding value to their product that in the end (along with <1,000 passengers) will appeal to many. In the beginning they will have limited itineraries but will have a second ship in 2016 and believe I read have plans for two more thereafter.

Some of the items that will be appealing are:

Full promenade deck

Complimentary enriching shore excursions in each port of call, led by knowledgeable local guides

Complimentary Wi-Fi (Subject to certain usage policies)

Complimentary wine, beer & soft drinks with onboard dinner and lunch service

Complimentary 24-hour specialty coffees & teas

Specialty restaurants without extra charge

Complimentary self-service laundry facilities on multiple decks

All port charges & government taxes included

Complimentary 24-hour room service

Additionally, their dress code states:

"During the day on board and ashore dress is casual and comfortable, including shorts, jeans, and sturdy shoes for walking tours. Swimsuits, brief shorts, cover-ups and exercise attire should be reserved for poolside and in the gym. For evenings, while there are no “formal nights,” the recommended onboard dress is Elegant Casual for most restaurants, performances or other special events. Suggested attire for ladies includes a dress, skirt or slacks with a sweater or blouse; for gentlemen, trousers and a collared shirt. A tie and jacket are optional, but not required. Dinner in The World Café remains comfortable and casual, with daytime dress deemed appropriate"

Will it work? Guess we'll see, but sure sounds appealing to me.

WarEagle, this sounds great but only a very small percentage of cruisers will be able to take advantage of this. If you can afford to cruise on very expensive cruise lines, good for you, but the majority cannot.

There are people who say that those that cannot afford the exorbitant prices of luxury lines shouldn't cruise at all. I hope you're not one of them.

Edited by Working 2 Cruise

I think Viking took what many ocean cruisers are getting fed up with and are deploying a product next year that answers many of the complaints heard today. While more expensive, it looks like depending how you like to cruise, they will be adding value to their product that in the end (along with <1,000 passengers) will appeal to many.

If the value added 'complimentary' inclusions are important to someone, and they use them a lot, then that's great. But it's also be why the main stream cruise lines have been able to keep their prices competitive by not having them all included in the price of the fare, that and more people on the ship to help keep the average costs down.

I wonder how their prices stack up against a similar cruise on a much larger ship like the Regal Princess?

If the value added 'complimentary' inclusions are important to someone, and they use them a lot, then that's great. But it's also be why the main stream cruise lines have been able to keep their prices competitive by not having them all included in the price of the fare, that and more people on the ship to help keep the average costs down.

I wonder how their prices stack up against a similar cruise on a much larger ship like the Regal Princess?

Princess has a similar itinerary to what we're doing on Oceania next year. Interior rooms are about $1,000 more expensive pp on Oceania. Princess is 14 days, O is 12 but 3 sea days on Princess vs. 1 on O. On O I get free gratuities, free specialty dining and all non alcoholic drinks, water and coffee drinks are free. A big saving in O is the ability to get into small ports. On Princess you get Naples and pay a couple of hundred each for a shore excursion ... On O I anchor off both Amalfi and Sorrento for a day each. I think the shore excursion savings could be huge

Last year we priced Tahiti and Oceania in a balcony was cheaper than Ocean Princess once you added the air, that shocked me.

Starting on April 1 Azamara is running a promo of book an inside get a balcony. With them being all inclusive, you could pick up some great deals that I'm sure would be on par with Princess

Edited by Cruise Junky

Your cruise on Oceania sounds great! I lived in Naples for two years and loved the coastal cities to the south.

It will be interesting to see how the Azamara deals price out.

Personally, I'd still prefer a larger ship over the smaller niche lines. There just seems to be a lot more to offer in dining and entertainment. I guess that's where a port intensive itinerary comes in handy. You're too tired to really enjoy all of the features and amenities, but they're still nice to have.

Your cruise on Oceania sounds great! I lived in Naples for two years and loved the coastal cities to the south.

It will be interesting to see how the Azamara deals price out.

Personally, I'd still prefer a larger ship over the smaller niche lines. There just seems to be a lot more to offer in dining and entertainment. I guess that's where a port intensive itinerary comes in handy. You're too tired to really enjoy all of the features and amenities, but they're still nice to have.

Yeah, it's a fabulous itinerary. Not sure how we'll do on a smaller ship. We've always stayed away from the Princess pair because of the lack of anytime dining. But sometimes itinerary wins out. I think the food will be fantastic but I have no illusions about the entertainment.

Yeah, it's a fabulous itinerary. Not sure how we'll do on a smaller ship. We've always stayed away from the Princess pair because of the lack of anytime dining. But sometimes itinerary wins out. I think the food will be fantastic but I have no illusions about the entertainment.

Meaning the lack of? That was one of my concerns, along with the dining options available, when I booked the Pacific Princess for her 4-nt Pacific Coastal in May of 2015. Unfortunately I've since had to cancel that cruise.

It's interesting as well to read the running commentary over on the RCI Forum regarding the new Dynamic Dining concept on Quantum of the Seas, a feature I'm sure Princess Cruises would never embrace. There would certainly be an uproar here if they did!

Meaning the lack of? That was one of my concerns, along with the dining options available, when I booked the Pacific Princess for her 4-nt Pacific Coastal in May of 2015. Unfortunately I've since had to cancel that cruise.

It's interesting as well to read the running commentary over on the RCI Forum regarding the new Dynamic Dining concept on Quantum of the Seas, a feature I'm sure Princess Cruises would never embrace. There would certainly be an uproar here if they did!

Definitely lack of entertainment but on a port intensive med cruise with some late nights in port, were ok with that.

Very interesting dining options, and you're right, I don't think it's a good fit for Princess. Will be interesting how that all plays out

I didn't realize the Royal only has a 66% approval rating. That's shocking to me, although I have been away from Princess for a while. Dang, we were thinking about heading to Venice to pick up the new Regal in August...

I also notices that the new RCCL ships, while still being enormous, will actually have slightly fewer passengers than the 5,400 person shopping malls... "trimming down" to 4,900..

Maybe I'm a closed-minded fool (well, definately a fool), but I just think the CB, Ruby, Emerald and Crown is just the right amount to big ship amenities and small ship feel...

The Oasis Class ships are such a success for Royal Caribbean that they are building a third one. The original plan was for only the Oasis and the Allure. Those ships are so much more than "shopping malls". There is so much to do that there is little, if any time, to even shop at overpriced ship stores. It's one thing to build a large ship. It's another build a large great ship. That's what Royal Caribbean pulled off. Looking forward to a cruise on the third one.

We have a cruise on the Royal Princess this summer and we chose this ship for the itinerary. I don't see too much about this ship that will negatively impact our vacation. We'll use the Enclave and the balconies look fine for two people to sit out on. We may even do the Ultimate Balcony Dinner there. There are so many ships and itineraries out there that anyone can find one they like.

Very interesting dining options, and you're right, I don't think it's a good fit for Princess. Will be interesting how that all plays out

I agree there would be an uproar, but not all the roaring would be against the change.

The RCI dining options would certainly reduce the number of threads arguing about the formal night dress code. Horrors ...