Plans for Post-Regal New Shipbuilds?

LastUsernameEver

As bdjam said earlier...it seems that there must be some more clever way to work the lifeboats into the ship while adhering to the new regulations (I am only paraphrasing bdjam) while keeping a wraparound Promenade.

Thanks...you'd hardly know I was even here.

But yes, it seems the clever ship designers at Princess and Fincantieri should be able to figure out how to meet the current regulations around survival craft without deleting features like wrap around promenades. As I mentioned before, the old liners had promenade decks that were used for walking below the boat decks. So perhaps another deck above or below a promenade for embarking on survival craft is the answer. Or, the Norwegian Epic design where the boats are suspended at deck level over the side of the ship.

Redesign is easy and quite achievable...it's the bottom line that influences the final decision.

• 4 months later...
I haven't really followed much about quantum and anthem, but judging by the deck plan it looks a bit more open, but definitely not a wrap around

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/meet-the-ship/deck-plans/

Deck 5

Just watched the Quantum of the Seas floatout. She has very little open promenade by the looks of it. You can see the light blue painted patches on deck where the lifeboats will go and where the lifesaving equipment is, and there are no open porches like what Royal Princess has amidships or aft...

14717540507_12b00a235d_c.jpg

14717540687_fdf4422070_c.jpg

14717540767_1d7c396ba0_c.jpg

14717540837_e2224d8a59_c.jpg

14881140876_fa0e2cf084_c.jpg

14904174535_77fee2f907_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Apparently MSC have ordered two 154,000 ton newbuilds for Fincantieri for deleivery in 2017 and 2017, Plus the option for a third.

They have wide promenade decks and the lifeboats are BELOW or rather under the promenade deck.

Apparently MSC have ordered two 154,000 ton newbuilds for Fincantieri for deleivery in 2017 and 2017, Plus the option for a third.

They have wide promenade decks and the lifeboats are BELOW or rather under the promenade deck.

That seems to be the choices designers have to deal with now: either deck mounted lifeboats with little to no promenade, or suspended out away from the hull with the promenade deck built on top.

MSC Seaside Project

14903947592_622a0b6050_c.jpg

14903947782_e7e9e364c6_c.jpg

(Credit MSC Cruises)

Edited by dmwnc1959

There are 3 pools on the Royal. No charge for any of them.

The Fountain Pool

The Dipping Pool

The Retreat Pool

Repeating.....3 pools...No charge

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

You have no idea how much you are going to dote on the "New" member of the family. Our only Grandchild was born three years ago, and it seems like she becomes more precious to us each day. We took her on her first cruise (with Mom and Dad) in March. We were on Carnival, The Liberty, and she did very well. She was not ready for any type of activity with the Carnival children's program, which is good...but she loved the Candy Shop. Swimming. Getting up in the window of their cabin. Putting her ménage of stuffed animals she takes with her in the window when she was not there. She brings new pleasure to things we have done before...seeing it through her eyes. And yes. We, for the first time, set foot in a video arcade. And enjoyed it once two eight year olds explained how to get tokens and such. And showed up to operate each "ride". Enjoy.

I believe the whole "Come Back New" thing is referring to their belief that after taking a Princess cruise and seeing the world and all if has to offer in different regions that they travel one then becomes a new person having experienced these things.

I for one can't stand the new slogan. But that wont keep me from sailing with Princess again. The lower than average service that I experienced while I sailed on the new Royal, now that's a different story. I'll certainly go with Princess again but if the service on Royal is any indication of how Princess is becoming, I'll have to look elsewhere.

Just incredible how our experiences can differ. I thought the service on the Royal was fabulous. We met only one person while on her who didn't like the ship because of the midship stairway situation. I am looking forward to my next cruise on the Regal. As for the new slogan, I "come back new" every time from a Princess cruise and think the slogan is a good one...simple and to the point.

Daveeeeeeeee LTNS How are ya? Hope all is well. I know you have been switching up your cruising schedule. I am looking at 2nd week Dec 2015 on the Regal. Let me know if your considering that love to see you! Hope the kitty is doing well :)

Daveeeeeeeee LTNS How are ya? Hope all is well. I know you have been switching up your cruising schedule. I am looking at 2nd week Dec 2015 on the Regal. Let me know if your considering that love to see you! Hope the kitty is doing well :)

Doing well, as is Grey Kitty. :D No more cruising for me until the new Royal-class comes out in 2017, then maybe another B2B Caribbean on the newest ship in the Princess Cruises fleet. ;)

Just watched the Quantum of the Seas floatout. She has very little open promenade by the looks of it. You can see the light blue painted patches on deck where the lifeboats will go and where the lifesaving equipment is, and there are no open porches like what Royal Princess has amidships or aft...

14717540507_12b00a235d_c.jpg

Ahhhh look at all of those 55 sq ft balconies!! Might want to learn something Princess! Love the bear :)

Ahhhh look at all of those 55 sq ft balconies!! Might want to learn something Princess! Love the bear :)

Big balconies, who needs big stinkin' balconies? (just kidding!!!) lol ;)

In all seriousness it might be interesting to compare the beam on both ships to see if that had any impact: Royal Princess 126', Quantum of the Seas 136'. Plus QotS has the bump outs that allow the bigger angled balconies, whereas the Royal Princess design team (mistakingly?) opted for a 'smooth side' for aesthetics.

Edited by dmwnc1959

Big balconies, who needs big stinkin' balconies? (just kidding!!!) lol ;)

In all seriousness it might be interesting to compare the beam on both ships to see if that had any impact: Royal Princess 126', Quantum of the Seas 136'. Plus QotS has the bump outs that allow the bigger angled balconies, whereas the Royal Princess design team (mistakingly?) opted for a 'smooth side' for aesthetics.

Ya think?? :rolleyes: A lot of people here just don't understand the tradeoffs that ship designers must make. If Princess had increased the beam of Royal/Regal by 10', then yeah, they could have put in larger balconies at the cost of adding about 20,000 tons of weight...

She's longer, wider and holds an extra 500 passengers. What does that have to do with Princess being forced to design 41 sq ft balconies

Anyway , I'm not going to turn this into a balcony debate but I'm happy to see some new builds with great balconies.

Edited by Cruise Junky
spelling

Ya think?? :rolleyes: A lot of people here just don't understand the tradeoffs that ship designers must make. If Princess had increased the beam of Royal/Regal by 10', then yeah, they could have put in larger balconies at the cost of adding about 20,000 tons of weight...

LOL. RCL just loaded an 8 ton bear onboard. I don't think RCL is as concerned about weight :)

Our only Grandchild was born three years ago, and it seems like she becomes more precious to us each day. We took her on her first cruise (with Mom and Dad) in March. We were on Carnival, The Liberty, and she did very well. She was not ready for any type of activity with the Carnival children's program, which is good...but she loved the Candy Shop. Swimming. Getting up in the window of their cabin. Putting her ménage of stuffed animals she takes with her in the window when she was not there. She brings new pleasure to things we have done before...seeing it through her eyes. And yes. We, for the first time, set foot in a video arcade. And enjoyed it once two eight year olds explained how to get tokens and such. And showed up to operate each "ride". Enjoy.

You are so right! We have been on cloud nine since she was born and our life has been all about her for 3 months. :D:D

My $.02 worth....we have been on most all the Grand class ships at least once. Love the Emerald! We cruised the Med on the Royal last year and enjoined it very much....so much that we leave on the Regal in a couple weeks. We may be crazy...but we are not the lay in the sun type and rarely even put a foot in the pools. So, the pool situation on these ships are a non factor for us. I miss walking the deck and staring out at the sea at night....but the trade offs are well worth it for me. Love the new buffet layout...love the atrium and some of the new venues. We enjoined princess live in place of explorers. I looked forward to something new and different...yet familiar enough to know the lay of the land. Future builds...I'd like to get that promenade deck back....but other wise I'll live with just about anything! I'm on vacation....my cell phone is off....someone else cooks and cleans for us....how bad can it be?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

LOL. RCL just loaded an 8 ton bear onboard. I don't think RCL is as concerned about weight :)

Clearly not...they'll have their for-fee flight simulator, dangly capsule thingy, bumper cars, etc... you need a big ship to cram all that kind of stuff onboard. :)

Clearly not...they'll have their for-fee flight simulator, dangly capsule thingy, bumper cars, etc... you need a big ship to cram all that kind of stuff onboard. :)

for some unknown reason this kind of appeals to me. I was showing DH the deck plans and we may end up booking either Quantum or Anthem. I haven't sailed RCL in 15 years but they look like fun. A very different vibe to Princess but that's ok every know and again ....who knows, I may rock the flow rider :)

She's longer, wider and holds an extra 500 passengers. What does that have to do with Princess being forced to design 41 sq ft balconies

Anyway , I'm not going to turn this into a balcony debate but I'm happy to see some new builds with great balconies.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Agreed.....:):):)

Bob

I hate the new slogan too! The only way I'd "come back new" would be to have plastic surgery and liposuction! I don't think the Medical Center is offering that....yet. It could be a money maker:D

Give them time they offer teeth whitening now. However liposuction would be counterproductive with the new buffet and chocolate journeys.