How do you stop the obsessing? Or do you?

Fog123

I guess I'm the odd one....I don't obsess one bit. When the time comes I get on the plane and go to the port and board the ship. I might book and excursion or two before hand but other than that the only thing I check on is my flights and getting the routing and price i want. I figure the cruise is already locked in and set so no reason to think about it until it it time to depart.

I am also one of those people who will get board and last minute book a weekend trip to someplace like San Francisco to eat a sourdough chili bowl and catch a ball game. :D

Anyone with COS (Cruise Obsession Syndrome) may find the You Tube series 'Cruise Diaries' of interest - life for the crew on board the Costa Serena based at Venice. (Thanks to Kalos who originally posted this information on the Thomson forum).

If you just ignore the subtitles there are 6 interesting one hour long episodes.

Starts with episode 1 " Honeymoon season" through to episode 6

2 "inspectors on board "

3 "Magic and Mayhem "

4 "Rock Concert"

5 "Dirty Dancing"

6" Final Countdown"

Here's a link to the first episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLLeo_NEvzA&feature=youtu.be

We have watched one episode each day in the run up to our cruise - just the final episode to watch tomorrow before our cruise starts the following day.

Edited by campolady

I am glad to run into this thread! I was sooooo obsessed for my first cruise. All I did was research and research and then on top of that, more research!!!

So then cruise 2-5 went by (27 days I think at sea?). Ok good. Now that I am doing a Solo cruise, I tell you my obsession is worse then my first cruise it seems like! LOL Its fun to read everyons's posts on this thread!!!

17 days away here, and believe me the obsession gets greater with each passing day. Then nerves, then frustration that the days aren't moving fast enough, then excitement that it's right around the corner. It's almost like Christmas.

BUT, once you are on the ship, RELAX, ENJOY, and GO WITH THE FLOW.

If you continue to obsess on the ship that you have to do and see everything, you will not have a great time. Enjoy the fresh air and scenery, the good food, and the wonderful people you will meet. It's those quiet moments of a beautiful sunset and "loud" moments of being in side splitting laughter that will keep you coming back time and again.

Hope it's all you have been obsessing about.:D

have fun with that LOL

I can't get away from my computer.

the NCL website.

googling whale excursions.

looking at the Pearl webcam.

it's FUN! but addicting, so addicting.

I think this is more fun actually than the cruise itself lol

I just booked our 30th anniversary cruise for a September Panama Canal cruise. Our first 14 day cruise so that's exciting. I'm a little worried about the 8 sea days, though.

Kim

I would love 8 sea days. they are my favorite...relaxing at the spa. No running off the ship and running back on. I need to book a longer cruise some day, definitely.

IM NOT ALONE!!!!!!! I've dreamt of going on a cruise since I swooned over Gopher on the Love Boat!!! Then life got in the way and it was something I would do when I retired, then Co workers talked about their cruises and Victoria BC became a cruise ship port and the first time I saw one I was at a wedding nearby when I saw this "new building" in the distance at night. After I realized it was a ship I was constantly going to see the ships. In 2011, the deal of a lifetime came along and I've been obsessed even more! I'm going on my 3rd this August but am counting the days til the Zaandam kicks off the Alaska season next month. Then the Pearl comes in- my 2 ships I call them. Now see what you started!!!!!! Drives my non cruising hubby nuts!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app

I'll wave to you from the dock!!

back to looking up excursions now lol

I have been on 80+ cruises and I have to say...i get just as excited now as i did when i planned my very first one i went on. 22 days and i am off again...woo hoo.....

"Excitement makes your heart beat"

Sometimes I think I research and obsess WAY TOO MUCH.

First cruise did zero research and had a blast.

Our upcoming cruise is 95 days away. We booked 9 months ago, and since then, I have read everything about it. Now I feel that when we get onboard, I am going to feel as if I've been on the cruise already!!!!!! I even know the deck plans by heart!!

I check CC so many times a day and night that I can't stop, looking for one more review or one more picture or tip.

I have to stop!!!

Get me on the ship!!!!!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

It's taken us more than 20 years to finally book a cruise. We're the "we're not cruise people" type of people, or at least we were.

We leave for an Alaskan cruise in July, chosen, in part, by the wonderful help on this board. I am surprised at how much time is taken up in my day by the obsession that is now the cruise (or is it cruise that is now the obsession?). I check Cruise Critic, I google the Volendam, I look at Alaska information...

It doesn't help that I'm in Vancouver right now on work and was actually at Canada Place for meetings. I spent time gazing out the window thinking "97 more days..." and taking pictures of where the ship will be at berth.

So my question is, how do I stop obsessing about the cruise? It's still more than 3 months away.

Or do I? :)

Any advice welcome.

Welcome to The Club, My hubby booked my 1st (his 12th) cruise whilst I was at work gave me 6 weeks notice OMG, there was not enough hours in the day spent researching, reading, chatting online goggling, then OMG the crazy rush to get the packing right. I spent lunch breaks, tea breaks checking everything out, so excited but I'm a nervous traveller. The day came of our 10 night cruise, on our 5th day we'd booked for March 2015. I enjoyed every second of it from the 5 o'clock walks on deck, to joining in with the Flash Mob, winning the 'Dancing with the Officers Competition' this time I'm totally obsessed, singing the 'Love Boat', to my patients and telling them how many more days left, when I go shopping I look to see if it is Cruise Material if not I don't buy, ha I will get to the 29th March without the need for prescription drugs :)

I am just now returning from my first cruise and we obsessed from the time we contemplated cruising until we boarded (and then some). The planning part was fun and really got us excited for all the adventures on board and off.

Give me a few days to get home & post a full review from a virgin cruiser perspective. All the stuff I shoulda known before cruising.

Lisa

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

17 days away here, and believe me the obsession gets greater with each passing day. Then nerves, then frustration that the days aren't moving fast enough, then excitement that it's right around the corner. It's almost like Christmas.

BUT, once you are on the ship, RELAX, ENJOY, and GO WITH THE FLOW.

If you continue to obsess on the ship that you have to do and see everything, you will not have a great time. Enjoy the fresh air and scenery, the good food, and the wonderful people you will meet. It's those quiet moments of a beautiful sunset and "loud" moments of being in side splitting laughter that will keep you coming back time and again.

Hope it's all you have been obsessing about.:D

Perfectly stated! I can certainly relate to this as it's almost 12:30 at night, I've got work at 7, but I can't sleep at all because I'm leaving Sat. For cruise number 4. It's going to be a long week!! If only the weeks at sea seemed this long!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by iamkristen

Goodness, you are totally normal! When I was at your stage, I have to admit, most parts of my life kind of came to a halt, LOL. I spent most of my time looking at cruise videos, investigating options for excursions, reading everything that I could possibly find, in preparation of the trip. I think that perhaps it's more extreme for the first couple of cruises, or, as was the case with us, it was a part of a honeymoon. In our case, our B2B cruises were part of a five week, 12 country global honeymoon adventure. I would say to enjoy the obsession. Granted, it can be disruptive in the larger life picture, but, how can you blame someone for being completely into what will be a great and amazing adventure! Keep reading, keep scouring the web for information, keep hanging out on forums like CC. It's all good. It's all good...

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app