How easy it is to get seasick?

aleminggkk

I don't get motion sickness in car or on plane. I am okay with river ferry trip. I had got seasick once from small boat (4m) that take me to dive site on a rough sea. As my first cruise, I like to know how much motion there are on the cruise. We booked a midship balcony room. Should I take motion sickness tablet before the cruise or just wait and see?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Edited by aleminggkk

I don't get motion sickness in car or on plane. I am okay with river ferry trip. I had got seasick once from small boat (4m) that take me to dive site on a rough sea. As my first cruise, I like to know how much motion there are on the cruise. We booked a midship balcony room. Should I take motion sickness tablet before the cruise or just wait and see?

Motion sickness is pretty individualistic. However, you don't get motion sick in most instances, so you should be good. The motion of the ship will be less than a river ferry, most of the time (can't always predict the weather). You could take one before, but the question is, how do you react to the pills? With a balcony, you can do the easiest remedy for sea sickness, watch the horizon. When your eyes tell the brain the same message as your inner ears (we're moving up and down), there is less chance of motion sickness.

ships today are built to be pretty steady. But any ship will have some motion especially when the sea is rough. The closer you get to the center of the ship the less motion there will be. So a centrally located cabin in a mid deck will rock less then a higher or lower cabin, front or rear. The up and down motion of a ship is generally predicated on the roughness of the water(large waves). The side rolling can be dampened by stabilizers. Some people get sick when the ship is steady and othrs don't get sick when the ship is rocking and rolling. Only you can find our which you are...

If you tend to be susceptible to sea sickness or, are not sure, apply any remedy (your choice) BEFORE you depart. I believe its easier/more effective to prevent sea sickness than it is to "cure" it after it takes hold.

My colleague recently went on a P & O cruise from Sydney and wasn't expecting to get seasick. It was a "cruise to nowhere" and she got terribly seasick for the first 24hrs and it ruined the cruise for her.

To be on the safe side, I would suggest you start taking your meds the night before the cruise and see how you go. If you feel fine after a day or two you can stop taking them.

I started taking Avomine the night before our cruise to the South Pacific and I kept taking them for the whole cruise and I found them to be very effective.

My son who does get carsick took the Avomine too and he never got seasick once.

Edited by aussielozzie18

My wife only had problems with rough seas. It was really rough though. The ship was rocking and rolling, everyone looked drunk trying to walk down the halls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how you tell who is drunk and who is sober.

The sober people are bouncing off the walls.

The drunks are walking straight down the hallway. :)

Rockfan2

I normally don't get seasick on small boats, but we had rough seas on the first day of our Alaska cruise and both DH and I got queasy. Took what I had on hand (dramamine) and it knocked us both out. The next day we got bonine from the ship's shop and it was perfect.

So, our last cruise we all took a 24-hr Bonine (non-drowsy) at night before bed, starting the night before the cruise. Had no issues at all. Would we have had issues without it? Who knows. I wasn't willing to gamble on that!

If you're worried about it making you drowsy, just take it at night. Or do a "dry run" with the meds on land before your trip to see if it knocks you out or has any other side effects you don't like.

Everyone is different. If you've never been on a cruise ship, you won't know till you're on it!

Where your cabin is located might matter with feeling any of the ship's motion.

Depends on where/when you are cruising from/to.

Bring along some seasickness med and those sea bands just in case.

I get car sick (as a passenger) but have never been seasick.

Happy Cruising!

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

I will be cruising from Sydney on Carnival Legend. Bonine is not available in Australia. I wonder if it will become available onboard when the ship is out at sea. Bonine seems to be the most recommeded and effective over the counter medicine.

Also a little off track, has anyone buy from Amazon or other online sites and have it post into Australia?

Hi

It really depends. I am prone to travel sickness, especially in a stop start car if I am not the driver. I was really sick when I was on a small fishing boat last year. With regards to cruising you tend to get your sea legs... That said, my first ever cruise was complimentary as my brother was a doctor on board the ship. Anyway when boarded, before the boat set sail, we were touring the boats and met many staff. So when I was introduced to the Maitre D', he said to me why do you look so green, we are not moving!!!. I was feeling quite sick but I think because of the big waves and the boat was not moving at that time. I felt fine after that. Subsequent cruises I was worried so took anti sickness medication but found I fell asleep during muster. So in the end I stopped and I have been ok, even when during one trip across the atlantic, we encountered gale force 9. So when I cruise now I don't do anything and it seems ok. Best of luck as I know how horrible it can be.

I will be cruising from Sydney on Carnival Legend. Bonine is not available in Australia. I wonder if it will become available onboard when the ship is out at sea. Bonine seems to be the most recommeded and effective over the counter medicine.

Also a little off track, has anyone buy from Amazon or other online sites and have it post into Australia?

The generic name for Bonine is meclizine. If you Google that, I found online pharmacies in Oz that sell it.

You don't mention what cruise you are on, and which time of year. This can make a big difference.

Your cabin location is important for when you are in it, however your activities are all over the ship. Most main theaters for shows are in the front and most dining rooms are towards the rear of the ship.

Probably best to take something before you board as a prevention med, just so you enjoy your cruise.

Personally, I have only had an issue twice in all my cruises. Both times ran into a bad storm. Took a couple of Gravol, and all was good.

I was able to buy Bonine on the Pearl a couple years ago, so yes, they usually have it in the store. I'm sure that might be one of their best sellers LOL:D