Sea Day Grand Brunch Buffet Cancelled ?

Colorado Buffalo

Not much of it. You also managed to misinform others and contradict yourself.

I'm of the opinion that, if cuts are necessary to avoid price increases, the buffet brunch is a reasonable cut to make. Not everyone is interested in it and eliminating it would not deprive anyone of a meal. I would like to see it replaced by a much grander buffet brunch for those (me for instance) who are willing to pay extra just like for a specialty restaurant. Limited seating, reservations, fancier food, lots of drink servers - I'd love it!

And you're basing all this on your vast cruising experience of how many cruises?:rolleyes:

I just love you guys that take one cruise and become overnight experts. I'm not flaming you but personally I put a lot more stock in the opinions of those that have been cruising for 10 or 15 years with experience with various cruise lines.

Not that your opinion isn't important, it is, but there are many here that have vast experience in cruising and what has occurred over the years on various lines. BruinSteve happens to be one of them.

This may not be popular but I think this is one event that could be for purchase. With that in mind it would be nice to make this a special buffet. Champagne and outstanding food items with a limited number to participate.

Could be a lovely way to spend a late morning on a sea day.

All of our experience with the brunch was on the Mercury and the Century. We were never impressed at all. Maybe because we've been cruising for a long time, and remember the gala midnight buffets. We weren't blown away by the ice sculptures. We didn't like the crowds and we didn't find the selection especially compelling. Early versions had pork chops in barbecue sauce next to a tray of spaghetti.

We always thought it was worth about $9.99 at you local small town Holiday Inn.

We had seen many posts saying it was nicer on the Solstice Class ships -- we're boarding the Eclipse on Saturday for our first Solstice class ship --- looks like we'll never know :(

To make it really nice, with good champagne --is an interesting thought.

And you're basing all this on your vast cruising experience of how many cruises?:rolleyes:

I just love you guys that take one cruise and become overnight experts. I'm not flaming you but personally I put a lot more stock in the opinions of those that have been cruising for 10 or 15 years with experience with various cruise lines.

Not that your opinion isn't important, it is, but there are many here that have vast experience in cruising and what has occurred over the years on various lines. BruinSteve happens to be one of them.

We're all entitled to our opinion and you're also entitled to value one over another. None of this changes the fact however, that he/she DID contradict him/herself AND misinform others.

I love you guys who think just cuz someone has more experience, they're obviously right - often they're not. And that has nothing whatsoever to do with opinion or the perceived value thereof.

And by the way, have you considered for even a moment that those with "vast experience" may have perhaps lost some valuable perspective along the way? It happens - and I personally am delighted when, in my own areas of expertise, a newcomer offers a fresh view on topics with which I've become all too familiar.

Thanks

We're all entitled to our opinion and you're also entitled to value one over another. None of this changes the fact however, that he/she DID contradict him/herself AND misinform others.

I love you guys who think just cuz someone has more experience, they're obviously right - often they're not. And that has nothing whatsoever to do with opinion or the perceived value thereof.

And by the way, have you considered for even a moment that those with "vast experience" may have perhaps lost some valuable perspective along the way? It happens - and I personally am delighted when, in my own areas of expertise, a newcomer offers a fresh view on topics with which I've become all too familiar.

Thanks

I'll absolutely agree that sometimes a fresh set of eyes can offer a new perspective. Would you agree that sometimes that same set of eyes will also benefit from additional experience? Every cruise on the same line from ship to ship is different, even the same ship can be. I sailed a back 2 back on Constellation that both cruises were a different experience.

This may not be popular but I think this is one event that could be for purchase. With that in mind it would be nice to make this a special buffet. Champagne and outstanding food items with a limited number to participate.

Could be a lovely way to spend a late morning on a sea day.

A very fine idea. $25.00, per person with lots of bubbly woluld be geat.

Thanks

What are your areas of expertise?

I'll absolutely agree that sometimes a fresh set of eyes can offer a new perspective. Would you agree that sometimes that same set of eyes will also benefit from additional experience? Every cruise on the same line from ship to ship is different, even the same ship can be. I sailed a back 2 back on Constellation that both cruises were a different experience.

You bet! I gained considerable insight and information here (much, if not most, from seasoned cruisers) which undoubtedly enhanced my cruise experience and for that I am grateful. I've tried to give back by posting a thorough review of my cruise (which perhaps is of no interest to the cruise veterans and that's fine) and by pitching in and occasionally re-posting information posted by others which I found useful (answers to the never ending Beverage Package questions for instance).

If you carefully read your friend's posts in this thread you will quickly notice they are chock full of inaccuracies as well as disparaging characterizations of those that enjoy buffets (often "shouted"). Do you expect that we newbies accept this in deference to his/her "vast experience"?

I don't understand what your issue is with my post at all. I simply pointed out that the poster in question was mistaken on a number of facts - which he/she was. I made no comment whatsoever on their opinion. I then went on to express my own opinion - the opinion of a new Celebrity customer who I hope has enough years left to gain the vast experience you seem to hold in such high esteem. Im sorry if you've read anything else into it.

I don't understand this at all. They had a "Grand" buffet, downgraded it (in my opinion) before eliminating it .

And now the solution is to return a higher quality version of it for just $25. :confused:

This reminds me of Bistro on 5 . I have never seen any more then 3 occupied tables there. Never . Not once.Ever !

Great they get $5 bucks X's what ? Is this the model they (and you) are looking at ? :confused:

If the "Grand" buffet is reintroduced with a fee, I hope it's as successful as the Bistro. :(

Edited by richstowe

You bet! I gained considerable insight and information here (much, if not most, from seasoned cruisers) which undoubtedly enhanced my cruise experience and for that I am grateful. I've tried to give back by posting a thorough review of my cruise (which perhaps is of no interest to the cruise veterans and that's fine) and by pitching in and occasionally re-posting information posted by others which I found useful (answers to the never ending Beverage Package questions for instance).

If you carefully read your friend's posts in this thread you will quickly notice they are chock full of inaccuracies as well as disparaging characterizations of those that enjoy buffets (often "shouted"). Do you expect that we newbies accept this in deference to his/her "vast experience"?

I don't understand what your issue is with my post at all. I simply pointed out that the poster in question was mistaken on a number of facts - which he/she was. I made no comment whatsoever on their opinion. I then went on to express my own opinion - the opinion of a new Celebrity customer who I hope has enough years left to gain the vast experience you seem to hold in such high esteem. Im sorry if you've read anything else into it.

Get back to me in 5 or 10 years, if you're still around here we'll discuss it then.

Get back to me in 5 or 10 years, if you're still around here we'll discuss it then.

Yes, maybe by that time I'll be worthy. :rolleyes: Hopefully I won't also be arrogant - seems to develop with experience for some.

Am I right in reading this thread, that the grand buffet brunch in the MDR will not be occurring on my TA on the Eclipse, leaving on Apr. 19? What a disappointment! We enjoyed it so much more than the midnight dessert buffet, which we could never do justice to at that hour of the evening. As for the chocolates and the towel artistry, I think that is up to your room attendant, isn't it?

Disney Cruises has this (at Palo). Champagne or Mimosa, along with buffet items and plated items for brunch. It's very popular.

I personally though, don't find it worth an additional $25 over what I've already paid in cruise fare.

Oh, and Disney charges the same for Brunch as they do for Dinner at Palo so if Celebrity followed that line of thinking, I'd expect to see the brunch priced much higher ($35-$45 per person).

The real reason it is done is just to get rid of excess food. The ship will dock a day or so after and will re stock on pre ordered quantities. They don't want to keep food that will not last more than a couple of days and so brand the disposal of it as a grand buffet. Believe me there are some people that pile their plates so high, there is snow on the peak. You could go skiing down some plates.