Sea Day Grand Brunch Buffet Cancelled ?

Colorado Buffalo

healthy food for lunch and the grilled to order salmon at AQ spa cafe was really great--hope it stays.. not sure what I'll do for lunch if it is not offered or at least something just as tasty & fresh

Hope they replace the buffet with something more people will enjoy & which causes less strain on the staff, and dining set up schedules.. it took alot of staff time & effort to prepare and then clean up from that buffet.

New ideas we have heard about include some kind of champagne fountain party at the indoor pool on one of the ships......for a fee of course? Not our idea of a fun time!

we will remain loyal for now and see what direction it all takes!

To me it's no big deal. There was nothing really their that you couldn't already get.

Hope they keep the food cost allocation per passenger the same and improve food service in other areas.

So agree with you Neil.

As much as I enjoy the brunch, but lately it looks like a bit extended buffet with a few extras. Nothing is like used to be....

The entire concept is only popular with those people who likely would have eaten in the buffet anyway...and like their buffet upscaled. Those folks likely had no great interest in a sit-down served lunch anyway. Those of us who abhor buffets...who enjoy the elegant service of the main dining room...the relative quiet and calm...the table conversation...To us, this buffet was NEVER acceptable...

I can't debate your overall points

I've never cruised before

I personally do not prefer buffets generally and we intend to have our breakfasts and dinners in the MDR (except on formal nights) as it will be more manageable with 3 small children.

This does not mean that I would not enjoy a different spectacle on ONE day of our cruise.

I hope that another free, special dining experience is put in its place

Soft shell crab was still on the menu in March on Reflection - that plus my view that the overall quality of the menu items was pretty high is why I ask the question. Maybe the poster knows about coming changes that I don't.

Possible, but the current Blu menus are newer (less than a year old) so I doubt they would change them again. I guess never say never. They were the same though from 2011 until 2013. I'm not sure when though the new ones took effect in 2013. All I can say that it was some time after our February cruise of that year.

To me it's no big deal. There was nothing really their that you couldn't already get.

Hope they keep the food cost allocation per passenger the same and improve food service in other areas.

Save the good food for the EME cruise

Possible, but the current Blu menus are newer (less than a year old) so I doubt they would change them again. I guess never say never. They were the same though from 2011 until 2013. I'm not sure when though the new ones took effect in 2013. All I can say that it was some time after our February cruise of that year.

They change about 10% of the menu every year....unfortunately, we know most of them by heart at this point. Not sure anything I liked dropped off.

Some of the arguments on this thread just do not make sense. The Grand Brunch Buffet is so unpopular that the lines are too long and its too overcrowded :roll eyes:

The health arguments apply equally to the upstairs Lido buffet. If that is the reason to discontinue the Grand brunch, by the same logic, they should shut down the lido buffet.

This is a budget cut…nothing more and nothing less!

Some of the arguments on this thread just do not make sense. The Grand Brunch Buffet is so unpopular that the lines are too long and its too overcrowded :roll eyes:

Lines are long because it is an at-sea day...Everyone is on board and needs to eat...breakfast has been combined with lunch...so it's just one meal. And there is NO sit-down lunch service option.

Lines are even longer because self-service is an inefficient option. People take their time choosing...or wait at the buffet table for more trays to be brought out or for the one cook to make a to-order omelet or pasta.

The room is crowded because dining tables have been removed to create a large buffet-serving area...and the second level of the dining room is not used as it is logistically difficult for buffet dining.

Crowds do not translate to "popularity". Many of us eat there because we are forced to eat there due to lack of choice. We eat there, but we don't like it.

Does that make sense to you?

Lines are long because it is an at-sea day...Everyone is on board and needs to eat...breakfast has been combined with lunch...so it's just one meal. And there is NO sit-down lunch service option.

Lines are even longer because self-service is an inefficient option. People take their time choosing...or wait at the buffet table for more trays to be brought out or for the one cook to make a to-order omelet or pasta.

The room is crowded because dining tables have been removed to create a large buffet-serving area...and the second level of the dining room is not used as it is logistically difficult for buffet dining.

Crowds do not translate to "popularity". Many of us eat there because we are forced to eat there due to lack of choice. We eat there, but we don't like it.

Does that make sense to you?

Not much of it. You also managed to misinform others and contradict yourself.

I'm of the opinion that, if cuts are necessary to avoid price increases, the buffet brunch is a reasonable cut to make. Not everyone is interested in it and eliminating it would not deprive anyone of a meal. I would like to see it replaced by a much grander buffet brunch for those (me for instance) who are willing to pay extra just like for a specialty restaurant. Limited seating, reservations, fancier food, lots of drink servers - I'd love it!

Edited by wpgcycler

The health arguments apply equally to the upstairs Lido buffet. If that is the reason to discontinue the Grand brunch, by the same logic, they should shut down the lido buffet.

This is a budget cut…nothing more and nothing less!

I know you don't want to believe this, but the buffet upstairs is set up for a buffet, with warming and cooling under the food. Some foods have to stay at a certain temp to be safe. The food at the Grand brunch isn't in the same type of vessels as those upstairs (which are built for buffet use), thus temperatures can not be controlled as they can upstairs and and food at the wrong temp is a health issue. Hot foods have to stay at 140 degrees F. and above, while cold foods must remain at 40 degrees F. or below.

I know that some want to make every change into a budget cut, so one has to wonder why anyone would cruise on a line if they think they are doing everything just to cut the budget. I'm guessing, there are other cruise lines out there where one wouldn't feel that everything is a budget cut and would be better suited to those customers.

Edited by NLH Arizona

So you are saying Celebrity provided the Grand Brunch buffet FOR SEVERAL YEARS before they realized it was a health hazard!!! Hardly likely.

If you read other posts, one clearly said: The reasons were public health and safety as the inspectors found fault with the space being not acceptable for buffet setup.

I was on the Silhouette last week and they did not have the Grand Buffet Brunch on the last sea day. But they did have the white and dark chocolate fountains in the regular buffet on the last sea day along with some ice carvings and a few other nice things.

If you read other posts, one clearly said: The reasons were public health and safety as the inspectors found fault with the space being not acceptable for buffet setup.

Reminds me of the GM recall debacle now going on. They have multiple inspections of every ship every year, they have highly paid folks to oversee the kitchen, preparation, serving of food. Food safety and required temperatures are know by anyone who owns even a mom and pop grocery store.

They just discovered that there is a health problem (ineptitude?) or they knew there was a health problem and chose to ignore it (aka the gm fiasco).

Kind of doesn't matter if it's cost cutting or not....it speaks to what some might call very poor management and an apparent lack of concern about food safety.

Not much of it. You also managed to misinform others and contradict yourself.

I'm of the opinion that, if cuts are necessary to avoid price increases, the buffet brunch is a reasonable cut to make. Not everyone is interested in it and eliminating it would not deprive anyone of a meal. I would like to see it replaced by a much grander buffet brunch for those (me for instance) who are willing to pay extra just like for a specialty restaurant. Limited seating, reservations, fancier food, lots of drink servers - I'd love it!

I am with you on that one. And I am not a big fan of paying extra for everything (specialty dining, bev packages, etc.), but I am willing to pay for something better, because the buffet brunch was making the cruise experience very special. I just wonder what is next on the line to be removed? Welcoming champagne on embarkation day? Because the temperature is not cold enough to keep it chilled?

Reminds me of the GM recall debacle now going on. They have multiple inspections of every ship every year, they have highly paid folks to oversee the kitchen, preparation, serving of food. Food safety and required temperatures are know by anyone who owns even a mom and pop grocery store.

They just discovered that there is a health problem (ineptitude?) or they knew there was a health problem and chose to ignore it (aka the gm fiasco).

Kind of doesn't matter if it's cost cutting or not....it speaks to what some might call very poor management and an apparent lack of concern about food safety.

I would bet that they thought that they were abiding by the health codes for buffets, but a health department inspector did not; this happens all the time at land based restaurants.

Here is the referenced comment. I think you over reacted:) They were in compiance but it was hard to do in the MDR (there was no health problem)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=42232938&postcount=21

Most stuff was available in the buffet at breakfast or lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

This is pretty much true. However, they did have fresh berries on our Reflection cruise in February that I did not see anywhere else. And I LOVE fresh berries.

Reminds me of the GM recall debacle now going on.

If you are serious about these accusations, you should really start looking for a cruise company that is more concerned than Celebrity about the health and well being of the company's passengers. GM's knowledge that their decision not to replace a part led directly to the death of several people. Are you really equating the decision to end the brunch is comparable?

I can't believe a long time poster on the Celebrity threads would make such an outrageous statement

I was on the Silhouette last week and they did not have the Grand Buffet Brunch on the last sea day. But they did have the white and dark chocolate fountains in the regular buffet on the last sea day along with some ice carvings and a few other nice things.

this I can live with -

If you are serious about these accusations, you should really start looking for a cruise company that is more concerned than Celebrity about the health and well being of the company's passengers. GM's knowledge that their decision not to replace a part led directly to the death of several people. Are you really equating the decision to end the brunch is comparable?

I can't believe a long time poster on the Celebrity threads would make such an outrageous statement

Thank you! I was disappointed as well.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If there was truly a health problem, as was suggested, then someone should have known and someone should have solved it before now. Of course, it could have been just an excuse which sounded good at the time. I did not mean an total analogy....but only the possibility that folks knew about the problem but no one took the steps to resolve it...corporate culture at it's worst. Of course as I just said, it's possible there either was no health issue or celebrity HQ was unaware of any.

Of course the GM situation is far far more serious, lives were lost, and those are irreplaceable with money or apologies. I wasn't equating the results...I was equating the internal corporate process...which of course wouldn't equate if there was no health issue.

The rest of the reasons given here (antidotedly of course) would indicate cost cutting...and I was hoping that there was a real need to eliminate the brunch (health would be a real need) rather than "it's hard to put it together" or "there's lots of waste" which do come down to cost. Heck, if we cut everything due to cost, we will see that sparkling wine go, free ice cream go and so on....most everything can be cut. There are some things that just belong in a cruise...but sitting in a conference room, one can always look at the cost and cut things.

Hope I didn't really offend anyone with the analogy...I won't miss the buffet, but I hate to see cost cuts promoted as "benefits"....e.g. my view of the new SPE aqua spa cafe.

apologies...

Edited by ghstudio

We will also miss is. We thought it was a great idea to move to a brunch as we're late seating folk and early (relatively) risers. While we did recognize that they were saving a nickel or two by moving to time when they used to be feeding lunch and or breakfast cost saving measures that do not detract from the experience are fine with us.

Now we feel "Carnivaled" as they did the same thing with the welcome aboard party. Taking a tried and true formula and moving it to the last night of the cruise and then canceling "due to lack of interest" when they went out of their way to under-publicize the event and never treated it with the fanfare of the predecessor it replaced.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If there was truly a health problem, as was suggested, then someone should have known and someone should have solved it before now. Of course, it could have been just an excuse which sounded good at the time. I did not mean an total analogy....but only the possibility that folks knew about the problem but no one took the steps to resolve it...corporate culture at it's worst. Of course as I just said, it's possible there either was no health issue or celebrity HQ was unaware of any.

Of course the GM situation is far far more serious, lives were lost, and those are irreplaceable with money or apologies. I wasn't equating the results...I was equating the internal corporate process...which of course wouldn't equate if there was no health issue.

The rest of the reasons given here (antidotedly of course) would indicate cost cutting...and I was hoping that there was a real need to eliminate the brunch (health would be a real need) rather than "it's hard to put it together" or "there's lots of waste" which do come down to cost. Heck, if we cut everything due to cost, we will see that sparkling wine go, free ice cream go and so on....most everything can be cut. There are some things that just belong in a cruise...but sitting in a conference room, one can always look at the cost and cut things.

Hope I didn't really offend anyone with the analogy...I won't miss the buffet, but I hate to see cost cuts promoted as "benefits"....e.g. my view of the new SPE aqua spa cafe.

apologies...

The point is that there was no health problem. X stated it was just difficult to maintain the required health standards, not that they were not complying with it. I think insinuating that Celebrity either knew or knew and disregarded health standards was uncalled for

This may not be popular but I think this is one event that could be for purchase. With that in mind it would be nice to make this a special buffet. Champagne and outstanding food items with a limited number to participate.

Could be a lovely way to spend a late morning on a sea day.