MDR Attire

We are cruising on the Conquest next week. I'm trying to decide what clothes to pack for the MDR. Does my husband need to take a suit for formal night or will dress slacks, dress suit and tie be alright? Do I need dress pants or will capris or shorts be alright?

We have only cruised on Princess and have heard that Carnival isn't as dressy.

We are cruising on the Conquest next week. I'm trying to decide what clothes to pack for the MDR. Does my husband need to take a suit for formal night or will dress slacks, dress suit and tie be alright? Do I need dress pants or will capris or shorts be alright?

Wear what you want to be in for the pictures, if you aren't doing pictures, then wear what you want. If your just not wanting to feel out of place, slacks and a tie are perfectly fine. I wouldn't wear shorts to the MDR ever..but I have seen it done

You are going to get a LOT of mixed reviews. CCL's website states what is expected. You can check it out. On CC....... you will get what people want the expectations to be.

Our group dresses each night for the MDR. Women (our group is aged 18-56) wear dresses or nice capri type pants and tops. The men wear, shirts and jackets and pants, button down Polos or pull over Polos and nice khaki pants. None of us wear shorts anytime in the MDR.

On elegant nights our guys wear tuxes then suits on the second elegant night. The women wear gowns or cocktail dresses. Every cruise I have been on people have seemed to make an effort to dress.

If you don't want to pack a suit I do think your DH will be fine with a shirt and tie.

Whatever you decide....enjoy your cruise!!

Edited by momof4boys

Nice slacks and nice shirt are fine for Elegant night. If he wants to add a jacket and/or tie, that's okay as well. No need for suits anymore unless he likes to be dressier.

Shorts are not allowed on Elegant night, but are fine for the other nights.

One of the reasons we love Carnival is that men do NOT have to wear jacket/tie on "elegant" night. You can wear them if you want but it is not required!! Slacks and a shirt with a collar(not a T shirt) is really the only requirement.

I like to dress up but DH doesn't so we can both be happy!!

My husband wore dress kahkis, a long sleeve dress shirt & a tie last year for elegant night and I wore one of my nicer church dresses. This year, he will be wearing a suit & tie and I have a sparkly cocktail dress, because we like to dress up a little more.

One of the reasons we love Carnival is that men do NOT have to wear jacket/tie on "elegant" night. You can wear them if you want but it is not required!! Slacks and a shirt with a collar(not a T shirt) is really the only requirement.

I like to dress up but DH doesn't so we can both be happy!!

Same here. You will see a little of everything with Carnival, from pants & polo shirt to the super formal suit (as suits are considered more formal than tuxes), and everywhere inbetween. Whatever you decide, you won't be the only one, so go with what you want. I used to bring a suit, but I don't anymore. It is just way too much of a hassle trying to get it onto the ship.

The dress is totally up to with your comfortable with. I started off in suits and ties, but have moved towards leaving the jacket at home, and maybe substituting it with a vest, or not. Most of the time, you'll see women more dressed up than me with everything from ball gowns to dressy pant sets. I have also seen t-shirts shorts worn on formal/elegant nights on both Carnival and Royal.

Pants and a shirt for formal nights and shorts for the rest of the nights.

Nice slacks and nice shirt are fine for Elegant night. If he wants to add a jacket and/or tie, that's okay as well. No need for suits anymore unless he likes to be dressier.

Shorts are not allowed on Elegant night, but are fine for the other nights.

The above is a quite honest reply to how most normally dress and what I would have said as well. :)

We most often cruise on Princess ... but have found the dress on Carnival to be different. What is fine on Princess for their Casual evenings works for Carnival on their Formal evenings.

LuLu

~~~

I go with dress slacks, a nice shirt and tie while Tabi goes with a designer dress - some more revealing than others - which brought out comments both good and bad. She was never asked to cover up so I guess the negativity was just ill will.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

The above is a quite honest reply to how most normally dress and what I would have said as well. :)

We most often cruise on Princess ... but have found the dress on Carnival to be different. What is fine on Princess for their Casual evenings works for Carnival on their Formal evenings.

LuLu

~~~

Thanks for that comparison LuLu. My husband and I have only been on Princess and will be doing Carnival for the first time in a couple of weeks. This is great for us!! Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...

I got the elegant nights down pat, cocktail or gown ladies, slacks and dress shirt , or suit and ties guys.

But what about the non formal nights in the MDR, I usually wear anything from skorts, sundresses blinged out flip flops etc. But what can the guys wear? can they were sneakers?, can they wear collarless shirts? (my guys doesnt do Polo) he can do button down and jeans but really doesnt want to do that every night, suggestions please is it ok for short, tshirt and sneakers?

For our first cruise, it was our honeymoon and we wanted to do formal pictures and we had the intention of buying them so I wore a nice dress and my husband wore a suit. Every cruise after that we have passed up on pictures and I have still worn nice dresses, which I have promptly changed out of after dinner to something more comfortable and my husband has always worn just dress slacks and a dress shirt with a tie. We have always felt like we were adequately dressed. Others were way more dressed up than us and others way less dressed up. And then of course there were those who didn't dress up at all and who ate up at the buffet. You will see everything that night. Just pick what you feel comfortable in. I always choose what I would wear to a wedding or something dressy.

But what about the non formal nights in the MDR, I usually wear anything from skorts, sundresses blinged out flip flops etc. But what can the guys wear? can they were sneakers?, can they wear collarless shirts? ... is it ok for short, tshirt and sneakers?

Have you considered looking at Carnival's website for this info? Specifically http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code
: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen
: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code
: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen
: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

I can understand someone not wanting to do do a collared shirt every night; the Lido buffet is a great option for those nights. It's entirely possible they won't turn you away at the MDR, but know that they might.

Have you considered looking at Carnival's website for this info? Specifically http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Dress_Attire.aspx

I can understand someone not wanting to do do a collared shirt every night; the Lido buffet is a great option for those nights. It's entirely possible they won't turn you away at the MDR, but know that they might.

Thanks he just hates polos so our other option is jeans and button down he just probably doesnt want to do it every day! I hate the lido buffet so that isnt an option ;-) but well see what happens.:D

The funny thing is I find that dress pants and a pair of loafers pack tighter than jeans and sneakers. Go figure. With the right color choices three shirts, two pairs of dress pants, a sport coat, and pair of loafers is a new outfit every night of a five night cruise. Throw in a bow tie for a little more fun. Maybe it's just me, but I enjoy dressing for MDR dinner since it's a mini-datenight with my DW and I like to look good for her.

I am curious if your don't mind; why does he hate polo shirts?

While they don't specifically prohibit t-shirts during Cruise Casual nights, it'd probably be safest to choose something a step above a beat up old Def Leppard concert tee. A dressy crew-neck long-sleeve or henley would be fine with jeans and boat shoes. I'd think a subdued rugby should be fine too, though it might be out depending on why he doesn't like polo shirts.

Edited by dd2355

We just got off the Liberty and saw everything...On formal night, most men were wearing a dress shirt and tie, women wearing a sun dress or pants. They did not stop anyone on formal night from wearing shorts, though I would never do it. This cruise seemed to be way more casual than in years past. Other nights were even more casual with both men & women in shorts.

I got the elegant nights down pat, cocktail or gown ladies, slacks and dress shirt , or suit and ties guys.

But what about the non formal nights in the MDR, I usually wear anything from skorts, sundresses blinged out flip flops etc. But what can the guys wear? can they were sneakers?, can they wear collarless shirts? (my guys doesnt do Polo) he can do button down and jeans but really doesnt want to do that every night, suggestions please is it ok for short, tshirt and sneakers?

T-shirts and shorts and sneakers are fine non -formal nights

T-shirts and shorts and sneakers are fine non -formal nights

Thank you! I have been waiting to hear that answer, I didnt want him to feel that he was under dressed but I really didnt want to do the buffet!!!!!!! Thank you!:rolleyes: