Royal Caribbean Copies Freestyle

London-Calling

I'm extremely happy with NCL, but this change in dining on Royal Caribbean would get me to take a look at their cruises. If there was an itinerary Royal offers that NCL doesn't... I love the freedom to eat where and when I want since it makes enjoying our vacation easier :cool:.

My advice.....Don't let that mindset prevent you from trying other cruise lines. Other lines, like Celebrity, RCI and Princess and doing some really interesting things with their ships and it would be a shame to miss out due to misunderstanding their methods. In my opinion Celebrity Solstice Class and RCI Oasis Class are a must-cruise at least once.

That freedom to eat whenever you want already exists on every cruise line. Don't get hung up on this reservation thing or the fact they still offer traditional dining as an option. The way RCI does things, like what most of the other cruise lines do it, is they recommend making reservations because it prevents any wait time. That's to your benefit if you have an idea when you want to eat based on a show, etc. However, you do not have to do it. You can still just show up whenever you want, just like you do on NCL.

I don't understand why people are saying RC is copying NCL. The last RC cruise I was on, it was anytime dining. You go whenever you want or make a reservation if you want a more definite time. Frankly I don't get the hype about "Freestyle". To me it was exactly the same thing as anytime dining on RC. We ate whenever we wanted. It was just location that differed, but the menu is pretty much the same I thought (Tropicana menu seemed the same as Taste/Savor).

This RC concept looks interesting because there are five free restaurants with different styles of food. Now that to me is very interesting. I think on paper it sounds better than what I just had on Getaway. If Tropicana, Taste, and Savor all had different menus then I think that would make NCL comparable but otherwise I think this RC concept is better.

The real problem with different menus in the different venues was experienced on NCL a few years ago. They had similar menus in the two MDR's, but also had two free specialty restaurants with Italian and Mexican food. The demand for the two specialty restaurants was so great that they could not meet the demands and many guests were complaining and dissatisfied.

NCL corrected the problem by attaching a fee to those two restaurants in order to diminish the demand.

It would not surprise me to see RCCL face this same problem with their new ships if the menus of some are much different and have greater appeal to the guests than others.

By being the "innovator" in the freestyle concept, NCL has experienced the pitfalls and has moved on.

Edited by swedish weave

There was also a time when Johnny Rockets was free on Royal Caribbean. So while the restaurants may be free at first, that can change. They can also charge a fee for some menu items (lobster?), as they do for their "chops steak."

There was also a time when Johnny Rockets was free on Royal Caribbean. So while the restaurants may be free at first, that can change. They can also charge a fee for some menu items (lobster?), as they do for their "chops steak."

You are correct. Back in 1999, RCI started offering Johnny Rockets as a free additional dining option for lunch and dinner. After a few years, it got too popular, especially with teens, so they had to start charging a $5.00 cover fee, and still do today.

The Maine lobster and Chops steak items on the menu are offerings from the specialty restaurants that can be ordered in the MDR for a reduced fee.

The real problem with different menus in the different venues was experienced on NCL a few years ago. They had similar menus in the two MDR's, but also had two free specialty restaurants with Italian and Mexican food. The demand for the two specialty restaurants was so great that they could not meet the demands and many guests were complaining and dissatisfied.

NCL corrected the problem by attaching a fee to those two restaurants in order to diminish the demand.

It would not surprise me to see RCCL face this same problem with their new ships if the menus of some are much different and have greater appeal to the guests than others.

By being the "innovator" in the freestyle concept, NCL has experienced the pitfalls and has moved on.

I suspect the size of each of the five RCCL venues will be 400 or so rather than 40 or so.

You are correct. Back in 1999, RCI started offering Johnny Rockets as a free additional dining option for lunch and dinner. After a few years, it got too popular, especially with teens, so they had to start charging a $5.00 cover fee, and still do today.

The Maine lobster and Chops steak items on the menu are offerings from the specialty restaurants that can be ordered in the MDR for a reduced fee.

Johnny Rockets just went up a dollar from $4.95 to $5.95. :)

Bill

Not 10 times more. And they have 4 or 5 of these free specialty restaurants, in addition to the buffet.

But, then again NCL specialty restaurants seat many more than 40. Presenting inaccurate numbers to make a point is the cause of many disagreements here.;)

Edited by Beaver1975

But, then again NCL specialty restaurants seat many more than 40. Presenting inaccurate numbers to make a point is the cause of many disagreements here.;)

Exactly. That is the point I was making based on someone saying "40." Wink wink right back at ya.

I suspect the size of each of the five RCCL venues will be 400 or so rather than 40 or so.

The two venues on the Star were larger than "40 or so", but the size doesn't matter if the popularity exceeds the allocated space.

I know the Star at that time was a little over two thousand guests. I don't know how many the new RCCL ships will accomodate, but if the popularity of one or two of the venues exceeds the allocated space, problems could surely develop.

It's only on Anthem and Quantum. Right now there are no plans to change any of the other ships away from traditional dining, according to the RCI rep posting on that forum.

Thank you for providing this information about it being on only these two ships. :)