Royal Caribbean Copies Freestyle

London-Calling

So, when you say they are "inclusive in the cruise fare" does that mean that I'm paying for the specialty restaurant whether I eat there or not?

Not to make this a RCI thread but Quantum will have 4 smaller MDR ( plus 1 extra for suites) that will each have their own style and a fixed menu (American, Asian, traditional formal, Fusion, healthy). Than there will be a bunch of extra fee places.

So, when you say they are "inclusive in the cruise fare" does that mean that I'm paying for the specialty restaurant whether I eat there or not?

You will be paying for dinner every evening whether you eat there or not. Bit like NCL.

Not to make this a RCI thread but Quantum will have 4 smaller MDR ( plus 1 extra for suites) that will each have their own style and a fixed menu (American, Asian, traditional formal, Fusion, healthy). Than there will be a bunch of extra fee places.

And everyone is aware of that. However, this has nothing to do with the queston that I asked the other poster.

That's the way it sounds to me also.

Edited by DDMau

You will be paying for dinner every evening whether you eat there or not. Bit like NCL.

You couldn't be more wrong. NCL charges me NOTHING (either directly or by including it in the cruise fare) for specialty restaurants when I don't eat in them.

And everyone is aware of that. However, this has nothing to do with the queston that I asked the other poster.

Good luck in getting a straight answer from "the other poster". Answering questions with hyperbole gets quite tiresome. If "the other poster" has such disdain of NCL, why do they care so much. Much like LMB and his crusades.

Have to remember to not indulge "the other poster" in his games. :D

I think on the dining, RCI MTD was already ahead of NCL Freestyle.

MTD today gives "turn up whenever" as with Freestyle, but also the opportunity to book a time if you want to e.g. so you can make a show. Plus whether or not you book or turn up, they aim to place you with the same waiter/table all week. Those waiters work bloody hard to make your dining experience the best they can, as your end of week survey gets linked to them. With NCL freestyle dining, the wait staff are often dis-interested at best in providing you service.

RCI appears to have pulled even further ahead with this announcement.

And entertainment......I have lost count of the number of times I've seen Elements and "the show where they sing a selection of Broadway songs" on NCL.

You can't compare MTD (the first poor-quality copy) with Freestyle. Freestyle dining is far more than just showing up...it requires significant kitchen changes as well.

RCCL kitchens and dining rooms are set up to serve banquest style meals. All the apps at once, all the salads at once, all the entrees at once, and all the desserts at once....and the kitchens are set up to work that way.

Freestyle works like a restaurant...kitchens have to be able to prepare different parts of the meal for different tables at the same time.

That is why RCCL had to go to Meyer Werft to get a PROPERLY designed Freestyle ship. That is why Quantum will have no MTD...it isn't the same thing.

BTW...Your entertainment comment indicating that you've lost count of the number of times you've seen NCL shows is nothing but an admittance that you've sailed NCL more times than you can count....which says volumes about your choices.

Also....If this same time, same table, same waitstaff model is so much better and so much more preferred, then how come there aren't any restaurants on land that offer this? IF there was demand, someone would take the opportunity to make money. Wouldn't you go there?

Good luck in getting a straight answer from "the other poster". Answering questions with hyperbole gets quite tiresome. If "the other poster" has such disdain of NCL, why do they care so much. Much like LMB and his crusades.

Have to remember to not indulge "the other poster" in his games. :D

I know. Its just a fun diversion. Sort of like using the beam of the flashlight to make the cat chase the light....even if he catches it, he still looks funny.

All one has to do is watch their behavior. RCCL spends a lot of time copying what NCL does. The RCCL posters are here on the NCL board trying to convince us that RCCL is somehow the best thats out there.

NCL isn't copying what RCCL does....and NCL posters aren't hanging out on the RCCL forum trying to sell NCL.

Their actions speak volumes over their words.

Ok after reading a bit more of the thread I am getting the gist of the "discussion". I actually thought I was answering something legitimate, not realizing the other poster is trying to state that the 4 dynamic dining venues on Quantum are specialty; they are not.

Ditto.

I cant wait to book for summer 2016!

I agree. I just wanna have fun and I see bashing on all forums on all lines. Each cruise line has its good points and bad at diff price points. My family generally likes latest,greatest and is price sensitive so we will try whatever cruise looks interesting and fits budget/schedule. I don't know why so many feel the need to bash other peoples choices or push their own agendas.

I will continue to look at NCL, RCCL, Carnival, maybe even Princess. So, I'm not a vehement defender of any line.

However, I have noticed that these argumentative, contentious type of posts were reserved for the Carnival vs Royal fans. NCL was kind of out there, apart from them, doing their own thing. Now, it looks like even NCL has raised the ongoing "I like (pick one) cruise line best...because yours isn't" posts.

This is all good. These companies all have something to offer all of us. None of them are better or worse than the other....just different.

Edited by graphicguy

:eek:

You're kidding, right?

Not in the least. Always pushing style over substance (IOW "wow"), RCCL has a long history of trying to copy and one-up what NCL does. And its a practice they'll continue as long as their customer base continues to buy their "innovations".

To be honest, my first cruise was NCL a few years ago and I've only ever sailed NCL...

I've never known anything other than Freestyle... I thought about trying RCL to try Oasis or Allure of the seas... but when I heard about "traditional dining", I decided against it. I don't want to eat at a set time with people I don't know.... What if I miss dinner or something, do I not get to eat that evening?

Not in the least. Always pushing style over substance (IOW "wow"), RCCL has a long history of trying to copy and one-up what NCL does. And its a practice they'll continue as long as their customer base continues to buy their "innovations".

Sure they do, as does everyone else, but that wasn't my question. You seem to be saying NCL does not copy others, including RCI. Is that what you were saying?

To be honest, my first cruise was NCL a few years ago and I've only ever sailed NCL...

I've never known anything other than Freestyle... I thought about trying RCL to try Oasis or Allure of the seas... but when I heard about "traditional dining", I decided against it. I don't want to eat at a set time with people I don't know.... What if I miss dinner or something, do I not get to eat that evening?

You do not have to eat traditional dining on any of the major cruise lines anymore. They all offer a Freestyle type dining option where you can show up at any time, or make reservations for the times that best suit you. This includes RCI. Trust me, you would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not cruising Oasis Class. Nothing compares to them.

All cruise lines copy the good stuff from all cruise lines. You think NCL invented the ropes course? And the outdoor movie screen?

Also, all cruises are what you make them. Freestyle is a state of mind. Except for dining theres nothing else you couldnt make freestyle if you wanted to.

No. Even 15 years ago (the last time I sailed RCL), there were other free dining options in the event you missed your dinner seating.

No. There are other optional, complimentary choices -- at the very least the buffet is open for dinner and you don't need to reserve anything to eat there. On Celebrity, I would go get a "sushi snack" at the buffet around 5pm and then go for my dinner at 8pm.

No matter what the style, they're never going to let you go hungry on a cruise ship.

All cruise lines copy the good stuff from all cruise lines. You think NCL invented the ropes course? And the outdoor movie screen?

Also, all cruises are what you make them. Freestyle is a state of mind. Except for dining theres nothing else you couldnt make freestyle if you wanted to.

Not sure about the ropes course but u r entirely correct. No company runs in a vacuum, you try to innovate for your customer base but you always have to look at what the competition is doing and "copy" and tweak. So to think one company is an innovator and another JUST copies is simplistic. They are all copying each other at some point.

Sure they do, as does everyone else, but that wasn't my question. You seem to be saying NCL does not copy others, including RCI. Is that what you were saying?

Now you must be kidding, right? Can you show me where I said NCL does not copy others? (or is that something that you're trying to infer?)

You can't compare MTD (the first poor-quality copy) with Freestyle. Freestyle dining is far more than just showing up...it requires significant kitchen changes as well.

RCCL kitchens and dining rooms are set up to serve banquest style meals. All the apps at once, all the salads at once, all the entrees at once, and all the desserts at once....and the kitchens are set up to work that way.

Freestyle works like a restaurant...kitchens have to be able to prepare different parts of the meal for different tables at the same time.

That is why RCCL had to go to Meyer Werft to get a PROPERLY designed Freestyle ship. That is why Quantum will have no MTD...it isn't the same thing.

Youre kidding, right?

• RCI AOS MTD food served piping hot every time. Excellent food. Excellent service. Food served across a four hour service.
  • NCL Spirit food served cold/warm and dried out every time. Was an effort to get water/bread/drinks/menu/starters etc

I would say the AOS MTD works more like a restaurant, with the Spirit food all prepared in one great big batch and kept under a lamp.

Not sure about the ropes course but u r entirely correct. No company runs in a vacuum, you try to innovate for your customer base but you always have to look at what the competition is doing and "copy" and tweak. So to think one company is an innovator and another JUST copies is simplistic. They are all copying each other at some point.

True...but you're missing the point. Nobody is saying that one cruise line doesn't copy from another, the problem with imitation arises when you copy what someone else does, but then you try to pass it off as an original idea using terms like "revolutionary", "ground-breaking", and "never before seen at sea".

Youre kidding, right?

• RCI AOS MTD food served piping hot every time. Excellent food. Excellent service. Food served across a four hour service.
  • NCL Spirit food served cold/warm and dried out every time. Was an effort to get water/bread/drinks/menu/starters etc

I would say the AOS MTD works more like a restaurant, with the Spirit food all prepared in one great big batch and kept under a lamp.

Really? That wasn't my experience on the Spirit, so what you said cannot possibly be true. :rolleyes:

Besides...if MTD works as well as you claim, then why on Earth would RCCL not only change it, but not offer it at all on their newest ships???

Edited by SeaShark