Would You Feel Short-Changed?

cdamion

I can't say I can recall either cd we have had on the two carnival ships we have been on. Could tell you the two we have had on royal though. Mark "bing bong" Walker and Drew from Canada. I wouldn't not sail a ship due to a cd however I wouldn't hesitate to sail on a ship with either of these two on it.

I wouldn't think so. A lot of the times, the CD's are stretched anyway, and the Asst. CD's are usually out and about, running the games, or on deck parties, etc. i really didn't get into knowing or interacting with the CD until after my fourth cruise thanks mainly to CC, now we take much more interest and notice how much they are out and about, and how they interact with the passengers and staff

I'd feel lucky if they all went out on strike. The announcements, morning shows, various contests... blah. It would be nice to have a little peace and quiet, especially in the confines of my cabin.

What does he do that makes him different? I have only had one that was really funny that stood out and I can't remember his name.

CDAmion,

He simply makes the cruise memorable. Our only cruise with him was in 2006 on an 8 day Southern on Carnival Liberty. Eight years later my sons still ask just before each cruise if 'that English guy' will be the cruise director. We never met him and honestly don't have a desire to meet or interact with him, but it sure would be nice to experience the ambience he brings to a cruise again. BTW, my sons are now 19, 17, and 13 so just imagine someone making an impression on 11, 9, and 5 year old boys; impressive to say the least.

His welcome aboard show along with each show thru the week is replayed on the cabin TV and it never got old. His announcements are welcome as opposed to annoying. He does do a sales pitch just like all other CDs, but he does so in an unobtrusive way; when you are ashore you actually remember what stores he mentioned.

Like you I have had many CDs and quite frankly I don't recall any of their names either. :rolleyes: When I read about a CD their name is familiar, but not because I remember sailing with them; more than likely it's familiar because I've read about them here on CC. ;)

Prior to our ONLY cruise with John Heald I had read about him on CC, but didn't book the cruise just to sail with him. I have booked ships since then that he was supposed to be CD on, but we book so far out and his schedule changes so much that we've always missed him. :p Some day we'll get lucky and sail with him again.

Obviously, as you can tell, it's hard to put words to 'what makes him different?' I suggest you book a cruise that he's CD on and experience his Direction for yourself. :cool:

I am certain that there are a couple of families in Lakeland who would tell us that the CD shift left their small children despondent and ruined their cruises, if not their young psyches forever. Certainly, an apology and some compensation would be in order.

I am certain that there are a couple of families in Lakeland who would tell us that the CD shift left their small children despondent and ruined their cruises, if not their young psyches forever. Certainly, an apology and some compensation would be in order.

Good one!

rdler,

:D No doubt.

Good one!

Our first two cruises had the same CD. He told the same corny jokes on both cruises and would laugh at himself after every joke he told. That got old real quick. Unfortunately, the CDs today still tell the same corny jokes. "Does the crew sleep onboard the ship?" "How does the ship get electricity-from a long extenstion cord." "Is there an elevator that goes to the front of the ship?" etc., etc.

I probably wouldn't even realize that it was an ACD running the show. I don't really care who the cruise director is. I only remember the name of one out of all of our cruises and that was because I didn't like him.

Of all the cruises I've been on, I couldn't pick the CD on any of them out of a lineup. Except Jamie. I liked her, but then, it was the last cruise we were on, it was a 12-day port intensive, and we got to see her in the theater early every morning while waiting for our tours. (she was chipper at 7am. Not annoyingly so, but we would shake our heads and wonder how she did it)

Would I choose a cruise specifically for ANY CD? Nope. Least of my worries. Would I be happy to find out once on board that she or John H. were the CD? Sure. (Never on board with him, but I like his blog and FB posts)

[quote name='PaulMedik']CDAmion,

If John Heald were scheduled to be my CD for the week and he was in a conference I'd be disappointed; he's that good. Sailed with him once and have missed him a few times since.

Any other CD is another CD. I know his reputation here on CC has taken a hit lately with the Facebook crowd, but I'm not one to be swayed by other's opinions once I've formed my own.[/QUOTE]

I'm sailing next week on the Glory and was disappointed to find out that Matt wasn't going to be on board (because I'd heard great things about him).
But then I learned that John Heald was going to be on board helping the ACD, and my disappointment completely faded! I'm really excited!