We Spoke and HAL Listened...

innlady1

If you are on the ship for 7 days, it's a 7-day cruise.

If you are on the ship for 14 days, it's a 14-day cruise.

Call it what you want or whatever HAL chooses to call it, the important thing is to be on the ship ;)

IMO you are correct..You can book a 14 day collectors cruise & have One booking number.. My point was: It's a 14 day cruise which will give anyone who owns Carnival stock an OBC of $250, not an OBC of $200 if it was booked as two cruises with two different booking numbers..

My goodness, there is no mystery here. Do not compare a "marketing" campaign to actual reality. The Veendam's schedule in June is listed as a series of 7 days cruises with alternating itineraries. Anyone can simply book a 7 day, a 14 day (which is two back to back 7 days), a 21 day (3 back to back 7 days), etc. And there are many differences on back to back 7 day cruises as compared to a true 14 day. A majority of the crusiers will be 7 day bookers which generally means a younger crowd with more children. It is also likely that most of the entertainment will be repetitive as will the dinner menus.

Since the "turn around day" is in Boston this also causes somewhat of a hassle. As a rule the ship will have to be "zeroed out" before proceeding on its next leg which means everyone will be required to disembark in the morning and go through immigration before anyone is allowed to reboard.

Hank

You are correct, there is no mystery, but wonder how you know that a majority will be 7 day cruisers? ;) We've done many collectors cruises & there were many collectors cruiser's..

As I pointed out above the stockholders OBC for 14 day cruises is more than two 7 day cruises! Also agree some may book as a back to back but Collectors cruises which HAL has been selling in the past few years, are normally less expensive than two back to back cruises.. Travel Agents sell 7 day cruises as that is how they block the space, but HAL can restrict selling them as 7 days.. And as Innlady we get e-mails from HAL about special cruises & then call our own Agent for a price..

Your info about turn-around day is incorrect.. On every Collectors cruise we've been on, those who are staying on board DO NOT have to go through Immigrations.. We were given a special area to meet, then given a special pass to scan off the ship & are taken off the ship en masse to have the ship zeroed out..We were taken to an area or room in the terminal for a short time.. We then were permitted back on board before they begin to board new Psgrs..Only once, did we have to wait a little while longer to re-board, when the Coast Guard was doing an inspection..

Of course, if we wanted to leave the terminal then we would have been required to go through Immigrations/Customs..

Edited by serendipity1499

There is no way I can know for sure if a majority of cruisers would be on board for 7 days, but based on a lot of cruise experience it is an educated guess. Bermuda is a popular 7 day cruise, especially when schools are out, and round trip from Boston is likely to attract many folks from that part of the country who want a short cruise. There is a huge market of potential cruisers who are within a short drive of the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Another factor is that June 27 cruise happens during the 4th of July holiday which means the working folks can do the cruise with only 4 days of vacation.

Hank

Rather than speculate, I can state the fact that we have sailed Maasdam from Boston for seven day cruises over 4th of July (though we stayed on for 14 days) and there has never, not ever, not one single cruise been any problems about groups on board.

We have been on cruises where a huge group was a problem but the 7 day Maasdam from Boston nor the 7 day Veendam from Boston did not have the groups you are so sure would be aboard.

On our collector's cruise last year, which was a E/W Carib. we definitely had to get off the ship and go through customs in FLL to zero the ship. It took several hours as there was at least a half a dozen ships in port that day and there were only two agents. There were also something like 40% the ship doing the collector's cruise. So I'm sure it depends on the port, # of people, etc. If we did it over again we probably would have booked an early excursion that day.

We had to do two drills, two under orange, but they also had a special drink reception for us around the pool, free dinner in Canaletto, and sent a snack to the room. We wouldn't expect that in the future, but it was nice.

Still we are doing a collector's cruise this year. B2B Canada/New England (mostly so we don't have to fly), and from our roll call there are several people doing the B2B.

We are definitely considering the Bermuda cruise next year (because we live in MA).

Just received a notice this morning that HAL is doing a 14 day Bermuda/NewEngland/Canada cruise on the Veendam!

Boston > Bermuda > Boston > Quebec.

May 9, 2015

June 6, 2015

July 4, 2015

Sounds like a winner to me....

Nice! Thanks for sharing. Bermuda is on our bucket list and this is certainly an attractive option. :)

There is no way I can know for sure if a majority of cruisers would be on board for 7 days, but based on a lot of cruise experience it is an educated guess. Bermuda is a popular 7 day cruise, especially when schools are out, and round trip from Boston is likely to attract many folks from that part of the country who want a short cruise. There is a huge market of potential cruisers who are within a short drive of the Black Falcon Cruise Terminal. Another factor is that June 27 cruise happens during the 4th of July holiday which means the working folks can do the cruise with only 4 days of vacation.

Hank

I really appreciate your posts and comments. You provide clear advise based on experience and fact.

I think the topic line of this thread is really misleading and any time a ship has to clear passengers, it is really a back to back cruise. When you have to exit the ship, then it is a back to back cruise.

I too have confirmed lots of availability in several categories. A call to another TA might be in order for some here.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

I really appreciate your posts and comments. You provide clear advise based on experience and fact.

I think the topic line of this thread is really misleading and any time a ship has to clear passengers, it is really a back to back cruise. When you have to exit the ship, then it is a back to back cruise.

I too have confirmed lots of availability in several categories. A call to another TA might be in order for some here.

If you check HAL's website you will see that HAL is marketing the 14 day cruises as Collectors' Cruises. Fact.

Why is it misleading :confused: Over the years, since HAL discontinued the Veendam to Bermuda in '12, many of us have stated that we'd love it to be reinstated...and several (Sail included) thought a 14 day combining Canada/New England with Bermuda would be superb. Therefore, it seems the title, "We spoke and HAL Listened", is appropriate, IMO.

Edited by innlady1

Why is it misleading :confused: Over the years, since HAL discontinued the Veendam to Bermuda in '12, many of us have stated that we'd love it to be reinstated...and several (Sail included) thought a 14 day combining Canada/New England with Bermuda would be superb. Therefore, it seems the title, "We spoke and HAL Listened", is appropriate, IMO.

Hello Sheila -

I see your point and don't disagree in regards to reinstating Bermuda. The misleading part to me is the reference that the sailing is 14-days vs. Back to back. No matter how you slice it, on the turn around day I can't sleep to noon and do what I want, so the trip is a back to back sailing from my point of view. I appreciate you nicely asking for clarification.

I am probably going to book some version of this sailing, but need to complete my two trips this month before booking more.

Enjoy the day!

<snip snip> On our collector's cruise last year, which was a E/W Carib. we definitely had to get off the ship and go through customs in FLL to zero the ship. It took several hours as there was at least a half a dozen ships in port that day and there were only two agents.

We did an E/W Caribbean last year also. I'm trying to imagine why it took you "several hours" to go through Customs. Weren't you taken as a group off the ship after everyone else (mostly) had gone through Customs? I'm confused because why would the ship staff have you get off if the lines were that long? It's too bad they didn't let the Collector's Cruise guests wait on the ship until called to disembark and zero down after the bulk of the guests were out of the terminal. That's what we did.

On our collector's cruise last year, which was a E/W Carib. we definitely had to get off the ship and go through customs in FLL to zero the ship. It took several hours as there was at least a half a dozen ships in port that day and there were only two agents. There were also something like 40% the ship doing the collector's cruise. So I'm sure it depends on the port, # of people, etc. If we did it over again we probably would have booked an early excursion that day.

You don't go through Customs when you come back into the US in the middle of a back to back or collector's cruise. Customs is when you declare what goods purchased outside the US that you are bringing into the country. That is done when you are disembarking at the end of the cruise. You go through Immigration whenever you are entering the US from a foreign country, such as in the middle and at the end of your back to back/collectors.

We did an E/W Caribbean last year also. I'm trying to imagine why it took you "several hours" to go through Customs. Weren't you taken as a group off the ship after everyone else (mostly) had gone through Customs? I'm confused because why would the ship staff have you get off if the lines were that long? It's too bad they didn't let the Collector's Cruise guests wait on the ship until called to disembark and zero down after the bulk of the guests were out of the terminal. That's what we did.

I can't imagine why unless they were leaving the ship for the day.. We did a Collectors cruise on the Ryndam in Nov/ Dec of 2013 from Tampa.. Ist portion was 14 days & second portion was 7 days..

And the poster is correct.. We did have to clear customs in Tampa but we breezed through..We received a Customs form & an "In-Transit" card the evening before arrival in Tampa after the first half.. Following are some quotes from the instructions in our letter :

"Dear Mr. & Mrs. XXXXXX We are delighted that you are continuing your voyage with us & hope you will find the following info helpful"

Quote Going Ashore: You are allowed to disembark the vessel anytime disembarkation starts"

"Bring your passport & completed Customs form & the enclosed IN+TRANSIT card when going ashore"..

"If you have a shore excursion or early independant plans please check your tour voucher for meeting time & location".

"If you do not have any plans of spending time ashore for the day, please be advised that you still need to get off the ship no later than 9:30 a.m to clear through the inspection in the terminal and wait briefly for clearance from the local authorities to re-board the ship.. UCBP requires that the ship be cleared of all disembarking and in-transit guests as part of the clearance procedures." Unquote

It went on to say we should review our preliminary statement & our shipboard account will be carried forward to the next portion of your cruise.

We got off the ship around 9:15 breezed through immigrations as required to have our passports opened, gave the inspector the customs form which had "$0"on it..On the customs form they ask about the goods we were bringing into the U.S. Since our purchases were still on the ship I put "$0" (in-Transit) on our form..We were immediately cleared to pass into the in-transit hall by the Inspector.. As a matter of fact I don't think the Inspector even looked at our passports but said to us "See you next week, have fun!" :D

You don't go through Customs when you come back into the US in the middle of a back to back or collector's cruise. Customs is when you declare what goods purchased outside the US that you are bringing into the country. That is done when you are disembarking at the end of the cruise. You go through Immigration whenever you are entering the US from a foreign country, such as in the middle and at the end of your back to back/collectors.

Actually Peaches we had to present our customs form to the Inspector when we did the first half & returned to Tampa, but on previous Collectors cruises we were taken as a group directly into the In-Transit hall & did not have to pass through the Customs Inspection.. However, we were warned that we should not carry anything with us such as a carry-on or backpack.. I carried both Passports opened to our pics., our Customs form, a book & wallet with some $$$ in it.. The rest we left in our safe on board.. They may have changed the procedure in FTL..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

[quote name='Sam.Seattle']Hello Sheila -

I see your point and don't disagree in regards to reinstating Bermuda. The misleading part to me is the reference that the sailing is 14-days vs. Back to back. No matter how you slice it, on the turn around day I can't sleep to noon and do what I want, so the trip is a back to back sailing from my point of view. I appreciate you nicely asking for clarification.

I am probably going to book some version of this sailing, but need to complete my two trips this month before booking more.

Enjoy the day![/QUOTE]

You took issue with the name of the thread...that's what I was addressing. A person can do the Collectors Cruise for 14 days...or just 7 days to Bermuda or 7 days to Canada/New England. Simple. You can bank on that.