We Spoke and HAL Listened...

innlady1

Just received a notice this morning that HAL is doing a 14 day Bermuda/NewEngland/Canada cruise on the Veendam!

Boston > Bermuda > Boston > Quebec.

May 9, 2015

June 6, 2015

July 4, 2015

Sounds like a winner to me....

Just received a notice this morning that HAL is doing a 14 day Bermuda/NewEngland/Canada cruise on the Veendam!

May 9, 2015

June 6, 2015

July 4, 2015

Looks like a good one! Will definitely check it out.

It's actually two 7 day cruises put together- not a "true" 14 day cruise.

IMO it is a true 14 day cruise as don't see any difference, except that you might have some 7 day Psgrs disembarking & new Psgrs embarking in Boston the second time around? Also if it's on one Booking number it's considered one cruise..

Just received the new HAL brochure & they have several cruises to various parts of the world where Psgrs disembark & new ones embark..

If it's a collectors cruise then there is a discount..Also if you own CCL stock you will receive the $250 OBC for the 14 days rather than two $100 OBC's for two seven day cruises..

We've done several collectors cruises & have had new Psgrs boarding on many of our cruises including our Grand cruise to SA/Antarctica..

To us they were all considered one cruise..

Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

May 9, 2015

June 6, 2015

July 4, 2015

Sounds like a winner to me too.. BTW I've never been to Boston & the second stop would be a nice time for continuing Psgrs to spend a day & tour of Boston..

It would be nice if I could convince our Friends who have kids in Boston to go on this cruise..

Hmmm have to think about that..

IMO it is a true 14 day cruise as don't see any difference, except that you might have some 7 day Psgrs disembarking & new Psgrs embarking in Boston the second time around? Also if it's on one Booking number it's considered one cruise..

Just received the new HAL brochure & they have several cruises to various parts of the world where Psgrs disembark & new ones embark..

If it's a collectors cruise then there is a discount..Also if you own CCL stock you will receive the $250 OBC for the 14 days rather than two $100 OBC's for two seven day cruises..

We've done several collectors cruises & have had new Psgrs boarding on many of our cruises including our Grand cruise to SA/Antarctica..

Betty

Betty...Just saw your posting after I replied! We, too, have done many Collectors Cruises...

On our Collectors Cruise Western Mediterranean/Transatlantic last fall, the first 7 days was sold out...so no drop in price. The TA sailed at 85% so the price was really slashed at the end for that one. Because we were on the Collectors, we couldn't get the reduced price!

Of course it's two separate cruises. People can book one, the other, or both. If they book both as a Collectors' Cruise, then that is particular to them. But to HAL, it is still two cruises.

There are two sets of passengers boarding on the two Boston dates. There will be two planned periods of Code Orange at the beginning of each itinerary.

A true 14-day cruise doesn't move passengers on/off at a turn-around point, not does it plan for 2 periods of Code Orange.

Betty

When I checked a few days ago they were only being sold as 14 day cruises on the dates mentioned. We are, or at this point I should say I am, looking at going for seven days from Boston to Bermuda on June 6. I am hoping that HAL will eventually market it as two seven days as well. I'm not interested in doing Canada/New England as we can drive to Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown or Bar Harbor in less than a day.

If you are on the ship for 7 days, it's a 7-day cruise.

If you are on the ship for 14 days, it's a 14-day cruise.

Call it what you want or whatever HAL chooses to call it, the important thing is to be on the ship ;)

When I checked a few days ago they were only being sold as 14 day cruises on the dates mentioned. We are, or at this point I should say I am, looking at going for seven days from Boston to Bermuda on June 6. I am hoping that HAL will eventually market it as two seven days as well. I'm not interested in doing Canada/New England as we can drive to Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown or Bar Harbor in less than a day.

sapper,

Very strange...it was originally listed as a 7 day cruise to Bermuda. I had a notice from cruise fish dot com about this "new" 14 day cruise that includes Canada/New England.

We, too, are looking at June 6 - and are not interested in Canada/New England as we can - and do - drive to those ports.

Whichever it is - I would jump at it if I lived on that side of the country' date=' and didn't have to fly. It looks like a great itinerary.[/quote']

It is a great itinerary. We did the Veendam to Bermuda in '12 and loved it. The ship docks in Hamilton which is great. I'd do the full 14 days but could never get DH to agree to that. He'd tell me we can drive or go in our boat!

My goodness, there is no mystery here. Do not compare a "marketing" campaign to actual reality. The Veendam's schedule in June is listed as a series of 7 days cruises with alternating itineraries. Anyone can simply book a 7 day, a 14 day (which is two back to back 7 days), a 21 day (3 back to back 7 days), etc. And there are many differences on back to back 7 day cruises as compared to a true 14 day. A majority of the crusiers will be 7 day bookers which generally means a younger crowd with more children. It is also likely that most of the entertainment will be repetitive as will the dinner menus.

Since the "turn around day" is in Boston this also causes somewhat of a hassle. As a rule the ship will have to be "zeroed out" before proceeding on its next leg which means everyone will be required to disembark in the morning and go through immigration before anyone is allowed to reboard.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

My goodness, there is no mystery here. Do not compare a "marketing" campaign to actual reality. The Veendam's schedule in June is listed as a series of 7 days cruises with alternating itineraries. Anyone can simply book a 7 day, a 14 day (which is two back to back 7 days), a 21 day (3 back to back 7 days), etc. And there are many differences on back to back 7 day cruises as compared to a true 14 day. A majority of the crusiers will be 7 day bookers which generally means a younger crowd with more children. It is also likely that most of the entertainment will be repetitive as will the dinner menus.

Since the "turn around day" is in Boston this also causes somewhat of a hassle. As a rule the ship will have to be "zeroed out" before proceeding on its next leg which means everyone will be required to disembark in the morning and go through immigration before anyone is allowed to reboard.

Hank

When I checked a few days ago the June 6 departure was only available as a 14 day cruise. I checked just now and the website has been updated so it can be booked as seven days only. That is what I was hoping for.

However the June 27 departure from Boston to Bermuda is not bookable as seven days. You have to take 14 days from Quebec on June 20.

Edited by sapper1

I have dates spread all over my desk trying to do Boston-Bermuda-Boston-Quebec-Boston ... or Boston-Quebec-Boston-Bermuda-Boston. My problem is I would rather be on the Maasdam for the New England/Canada portion of the trip. It will be 2015 before I figure this all out. :eek:

Edited by Linda&Vern

I have dates spread all over my desk trying to do Boston-Bermuda-Boston-Quebec-Boston ... or Boston-Quebec-Boston-Bermuda-Boston. My problem is I would rather be on the Maasdam for the Canada portion of the trip. It will be 2015 before I figure this all out. :eek:

We live outside of Boston so, for us, that would be a great itinerary. We will probably do just the 7 though as we can drive to Maine. We have a Roadtrek (RV) and a C-Dory boat so it's silly to do otherwise for the Maine coast.

Having said that, we loved the Veendam when we were on her to Bermuda from NYC in '12. Docking in Hamilton is a dream...and we actually spent very little time on the ship. It was like our own hotel on Front Street...where all the action is.

There's nothing quite like sailing out of New York and taking in the New York skyline, Trade Center, Lady Liberty, etc. But, Boston is only 18 miles from home, so that's a no brainer!

We could take the commuter train a half mile from our house to South Station and embark.

May 9, 2015

June 6, 2015

July 4, 2015

Yes it does sound like a winner. Just added this to our bucket list. :D Thanks for sharing!

When I checked a few days ago the June 6 departure was only available as a 14 day cruise. I checked just now and the website has been updated so it can be booked as seven days only. That is what I was hoping for.

However the June 27 departure from Boston to Bermuda is not bookable as seven days. You have to take 14 days from Quebec on June 20.

That is just not true! We just looked on two different Cruise Agency web sites (where you can do quick online bookings) and they show availability for the June 27, 2015 Veendam cruise booked as a 7 day. I see availability for most types of cabins and the Cruise Agencies will even sweeten the offers with several hundred dollars of on board credits (the amount depends on cabin category). I also see plenty of availability on the HAL web site booking engine.

Guess you might want to look again :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

That is just not true! We just looked on two different Cruise Agency web sites (where you can do quick online bookings) and they show availability for the June 27, 2015 Veendam cruise booked as a 7 day. I see availability for most types of cabins and the Cruise Agencies will even sweeten the offers with several hundred dollars of on board credits (the amount depends on cabin category). I also see plenty of availability on the HAL web site booking engine.

Guess you might want to look again :)

Hank

I looked at the HAL website which is the only place I ever look. What I said is true of the HAL website. I don't dispute what you may have found. I can stop looking anyway because the date I want is available as a seven day on the HAL website.

I book through a local TA and don't bother looking anywhere else.

Hi

I will be in Alaska for this cruise. wow not to have to fly across the US would be perfect. I also live just outside Boston. Mybe in the fall or next year. How I wish money grew on treess.. I might be doing Europe next year A few of my friend want to visit Paris agaiin and there are places I want to see and revisit

I would love to visit Halifax. I am a bigTiatinic fan and would would love to visit the meusem. Plus Halifax is a sister sister to Boston when I grew up and they send us a Christmas tree every year.

Mary

My point being that there could potentially be large groups on or both of the 7 day cruises - something that would be considerably less likely if it's a true 14 day cruise.

We have sailed Boston to Montreal to Boston on Maasdam many times and each segment is seven days. We have only once encountered a group that was 'noticeable' to us and it was under 50 people. The only reason we noticed was because they booked almost all of the '(then named) deluxe verandah suites. There were only a few left that group did not book and we had one of them.

A large group is not likely given our personal experience.