NCL cancelling Roatan (MERGED THREADS)

swedish weave

They do check all bags going into all the parks. They have HIGH security there, you just don't see it.

I would agree.... more crime here in the states. We are just used to it.

Very true about Disney security. Years ago my son dropped his Key to the World card as he was entering the turnstile. I didn't see it happen but someone grabbed it and left in the crowd. He freaked and was crying. He said someone stole his card. As soon as he said that there was a very big athletic guy asking us what happened. That was when I noticed the ear piece he had and he was instantly communicating to others about the stolen card. He brought us to the ticket counter and they replaced my son's card in about 3 minutes.

A couple of CC members have reported from their ships:

"Cruisecrazy" currently on Dawn says the Captain cancelled Roatan today so they well have an At Sea day instead.

"jayclancy" currently on Jewel says the Captain sent a letter to the cabins saying Roatan was cancelled for Thursday and would be replaced by a Sea Day.

LuLu

~~~

It gets me when stories like this come out and everyone jumps up in arms because it happened in a tourist area......

But it is a good reminder to all of us that just because we are on vacation not to let our common sense go on vacation too.

Remember, there's a big difference between what goes on on Roatan Island vs. mainland Honduras. It's not like crime is evenly distributed throughout the country; I would hesitate to many any conclusions of Roatan island based on mainland data.

Remember, there's a big difference between what goes on on Roatan Island vs. mainland Honduras. It's not like crime is evenly distributed throughout the country; I would hesitate to many any conclusions of Roatan island based on mainland data.

While that's true, this past week a cook on an NCL ship was murdered while standing in front of the mini mart across from Coxen Hole using their wifi. The guy who shot him was after the cook's tablet. Now NCL ships are canceling their cruises to Roatan.

Armed guards at every location is common in Central America. I go to El Salvador every summer and every hotel, gas station our store had then by the doors. No big deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Armed guards at every location is common in Central America. I go to El Salvador every summer and every hotel, gas station our store had then by the doors. No big deal.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Guessing it was a big deal to the NCL employee who was murdered...I have been all over the place also but I always felt safe there. Belize is one place that tends to make me a little more jittery...

I read all the comments and I haven't seen this distinction made yet, but the article states that Honduras has the highest murder rate. That may be true, but that's the whole country, and Roatan is an island off the coast of the mainland. Things are much different (worse) on the mainland. That's not to say everything is rosy in Roatan, just something to keep in mind.

This is why I don't really like the western routes. Beautiful locations, but I really don't like walking through the pretty little port areas, past the double razor wire lined fences into abject poverty with people begging for money or children trying to sell you chiclets. I know things are tough for them but.. I don't know, it's a bit off-putting. Same goes for Belize, where they tell you not to leave the port area unless you're going on a tour.

Edited by mferris77

I feel horrible for the family of the NCL worker. Unfortunately the people being punished for the this terrible crime are the people of Roatan who rely on the Cruise Ship Industry for the living. We were in Roatan in October on the Jewel and had a wonderful private island tour with Theris Dixon of Theris Dixon Tours. She and her husband were the owners of this tour company that she has been growing through the years. They rely on the cruise ships for a large part of their income. Her family has lived in Roatan for 5 generations and she was a wealth of information, giving us a view of the island we would have never gotten on a ship organized tour. Every where we went people knew her and they were all friendly and helpful and waving to her as we past them. Not only do I feel bad for the NCL worker and his family....I feel bad for the people of Roatan who will suffer from this needless tragedy.

So does the State Department have travel advisories to Disney World. LOL

Crime on tourists in the disney areas of orlando/kissimmee is actually high but it doesn't stop people from coming here.

The theme parks have security everywhere. Most people just don't notice them.

Guessing it was a big deal to the NCL employee who was murdered...I have been all over the place also but I always felt safe there. Belize is one place that tends to make me a little more jittery...

That is a stupid comment to make. Did anyone say that it is ok for someone to be murdered? No.

Point being if you walk around afraid you may as well never leave your house. In the last six months someone was shot and killed in their home only two blocks from me. They never found out who did it. Should I lock myself inside?

I spent ten days in Costa Rica, including several days in San Jose. Never felt unsafe.

After the news of the recent murder of the innocent NCL crew member I have strong reservations about visiting Roatan next month via the RCI Vision of the Seas. Unfortunately it's too late to get my money back.

So, my question is this… Do my wife and I just stay onboard the ship?

I was planning on doing an excursion to West Bay or LFK.

How can I guarantee that my wife and I are safe and secure on a private excursion? A murder in the plain day light over a tablet is quite brazen.

Are excursions safer if done directly through the cruise line?

I don't want to be walking through Coxen Hole looking for the private transport to LFK or West Bay and get heckled/robbed/shot along the way.

My thoughts are with the family of the innocent crew member.

After the news of the recent murder of the innocent NCL crew member I have strong reservations about visiting Roatan next month via the RCI Vision of the Seas. Unfortunately it's too late to get my money back.

How can I guarantee that my wife and I are safe and secure on a private excursion? A murder in the plain day light over a tablet is quite brazen.

I don't want to be walking through Coxen Hole looking for the private transport to LFK or West Bay and get heckled/robbed/shot along the way.

Pre-book with a reputable company such as Victor Boden. We were there end of February did his Zip and Dip and never felt threatened. Victor is a family run local business and well respected in Roatan.

Safety is not guaranteed anywhere.

My advice is to not be flashing anything if value, this way to are less likely to be a target. For some reason electronics are a high value item. This is not the 1st incident with a hand held device though it is the 1st one I have heard of in day light.

I have wandered Coxen Hole for supplies repeatedly for the past 14 years.. not so much as a whisper of a problem. I don't find the area to be the least be unsafe.

Thank you for the response.

If I book through a third party through Bodden, do I walk farther looking for the local tour guide?

Asked in another way, by booking through RCI will the tour pick us up directly from the boat as opposed to walking outside of the secure port looking for the local tour guide?

If you book LFK off their website, they'll come get you. No need to wander outside the port compound.

If you head to West Bay or LFK on a ship excursion, you'll be with a lot of other people. If you set up with a West Bay resort like Bananarama, in advance, they'll come pick you up.

If you set up with a West End resort like Half Moon Bay, catch a taxi inside the cruise port. Either have the same taxi come pick you up at the resort or ask the resort to call you a taxi when you're ready to leave.

If you want to go walking around Coxen Hole and see some of their smaller. local shops, do it in a group, not by yourself. And don't flaunt cameras, iphones, or tablets.

If you book through Bodden, that is it. His driver will pick you up very near the ship. I know things happen, but we just got back from Roatan, our 4th trip. My wife and I went way off on the more untraveled side by ourselves. I would not hesitate to go back, even after this news, in fact, we will be back in November and will go to West End this time..In our experience there we have not once felt threatened or even nervous, not saying it cannot happen, but I would go and enjoy Roatan..

Thank you for the response.

If I book through a third party through Bodden, do I walk farther looking for the local tour guide?

Asked in another way, by booking through RCI will the tour pick us up directly from the boat as opposed to walking outside of the secure port looking for the local tour guide?

If you book through Bodden, that is it. His driver will pick you up very near the ship. I know things happen, but we just got back from Roatan, our 4th trip. My wife and I went way off on the more untraveled side by ourselves. I would not hesitate to go back, even after this news, in fact, we will be back in November and will go to West End this time..In our experience there we have not once felt threatened or even nervous, not saying it cannot happen, but I would go and enjoy Roatan..

Thanks for the response. However after the recent news I do not want to take any chances. I'm not the only one either. Hopefully the Roatan locals will heed the warning of NCL and fight for better security on their island. Otherwise I'm afraid many other tourists like myself will be leery of traveling there.

If I do decide to leave the ship, I will probably do an excursion through RCI as it seems like it will be more secure. I am willing to pay more for an excursion that will be more secure.

If I was in the States, I would be packing heat. But obviously that isn't allowed here.

Edited by dukebball5249