Wife Cant Go With Me In Our Junior Suite...Now What?

They have not hit final payment date for this cruise. It is still 6 mos out. So, they could get their cruise money back. [with or without insurance]

However, the lost money for flights for the 2 of them may not be that much more than keeping the booking and doing a solo cruise.

As Dragon OTS said, you are not close to your final payment date. You should be able to get all of your cruise fare refunded, or all except the mandatory deposit.

The sticky part will be getting airfare back. You might be able to change the flights to another time (or place) when you 2 can travel together, minus about $150 each.

I have been there, too. Just have your wife be a no show. No increase in cruise fare, and they will likely refund her taxes and port fees. That is what they did in our case.

Enjoy your solo cruise.

Edited by lazydayz

You are far enough out to get a full refund for the cruise. I'd call the airline and see if you can get some type of credit for the unused airfare. Sometimes you have to pay a penalty but you have a year to use the credit. It is worth the phone call. Or... have your wife talk to her new employer and see if she can take unpaid leave... Or if you like... sail alone... I hope you find a solution!!

I have been there, too. Just have your wife be a no show. No increase in cruise fare, and they will likely refund her taxes and port fees. That is what they did in our case.

Enjoy your solo cruise.

Exactly this! When you board, tell them she is coming on a later flight or arriving later. Then, when she's a no show, you will get a refund of her taxes and port fees with no increase in your fare.

Enjoy your "me myself and I" cruise! I do that every once in awhile....and it is so rejuvenating!!!! Don't listen to the people who say to cancel and reschedule, especially if your wife is on board with this.

First, I'm happily maried for 25 years and we love spending time together. That being said we love camping together but I also love camping solo which very few people will ever do.

While my wife would never enjoy a trip by herself I'm perfecfly fine with alone time. She is adventurious and loves socializing with groups of friends. I love this too but only for a fixed period of time. Alone time for me is the best way for me to recharge and she totally gets me in that regards.

Some asked whay I dont just change the booking to when she can go? We'll just book another cruise for a time that works for her in the future. Her new job does not provide her enough vacation time for a cruise this year. Thats a bummer no doubt but we will be in a suite ASAP.

My 2 kids are grown but single. We took them on a cruise last year but they are at that point in their lives where nailing them down for a vacation is like trying to nail jello to the wall. My wife and I choose to seize this time in our life to enjoy each others company until grand kids come into the picture...then I hear life changes again?

well, then enjoy the solo cruise.

Did you hear back from your TA? This far out and so far before final payment, I think your TA should be able to get the rate adjusted fairly. But fairly means paying the solo supplement, and on most cruises that seems to be 200%.

If you think there is a real chance you may in the end invite somebody else (for example if you hope one of your kids vacation schedules works out), you may want to leave it as a double booking, so you can just do a name change later. If you are sure you are going solo, hopefully the TA has (or will soon) have an answer for you.

First, I'm happily maried for 25 years and we love spending time together. That being said we love camping together but I also love camping solo which very few people will ever do.

While my wife would never enjoy a trip by herself I'm perfecfly fine with alone time. She is adventurious and loves socializing with groups of friends. I love this too but only for a fixed period of time. Alone time for me is the best way for me to recharge and she totally gets me in that regards.

Some asked whay I dont just change the booking to when she can go? We'll just book another cruise for a time that works for her in the future. Her new job does not provide her enough vacation time for a cruise this year. Thats a bummer no doubt but we will be in a suite ASAP.

My 2 kids are grown but single. We took them on a cruise last year but they are at that point in their lives where nailing them down for a vacation is like trying to nail jello to the wall. My wife and I choose to seize this time in our life to enjoy each others company until grand kids come into the picture...then I hear life changes again?

That's why I always negotiate vacation before salary when changing jobs. I never would change if I did not get at least 5 weeks at this point in my career.

Upcoming booking in a JS for DW & myself in Nov. She's not going to ne able to go but I still will sail. Airfaire and ground trans already paid for, cruise not PIF yet. I know we can get back the ground trans fee for her, loose $ for airfaire.

My question is, how much of her cruise faire will be refunded & how much do I have to pay as a solo cruiser? Lastly, I belive I will get triple C&A points...right?

Bummer my wife cant make this trip and no, we never buy cruise insurance. This is first time in 15 years our travel plans have been interrupted so we are ok w/o insurance and are still ahead overall.

Go on the cruise as planned, she will be listed as no show...

FWIW ... We had someone that didn't show up a couple years ago and did NOT receive the port fees and taxes. We were told that if we had notified them they would have credited but since we didn't, it was a wash. I would notify them that she won't be coming so you can get something back. Enjoy your solo cruise!!

"All guests listed on the SetSail Pass must be present to board".

This is a direct quote from RCCL. If your wife is still listed as a passenger on the reservation, her name will still be included on the SetSail Pass.

I wouldn't chance not being allowed to board. Maybe honesty is the best policy. Just sayin'.

"All guests listed on the SetSail Pass must be present to board".

This is a direct quote from RCCL. If your wife is still listed as a passenger on the reservation, her name will still be included on the SetSail Pass.

I wouldn't chance not being allowed to board. Maybe honesty is the best policy. Just sayin'.

Each pax does the online check-in process separately. You have the OPTION of including other(s) when printing the Pass. People who share a cabin do not always arrive at the port at the same time (e.g. different flights).

First - Thanks everyone for your input. Here is how we plan to

proceed with the help and advice of our TA.

We will drop my wife from the booking and get back her port fees/taxes/ground transportation.

Her airfaire will remain as a credit for one year but will be subject to a $200 change fee when used in connection with future flight reservation. Of course the original ticket for us was just $247 each so it may still be a bit of a loss but no biggie.

I will earn triple C&A points on cruise in Jr. Suite and pay suplemental rate.

My final question is now this - my C&A points will now be greater than my wifes. When I hit Diamond and she doesnt does that mess us up from use of concierge services and Diamond events in future cruises as a couple?

My final question is now this - my C&A points will now be greater than my wifes. When I hit Diamond and she doesnt does that mess us up from use of concierge services and Diamond events in future cruises as a couple?

She will automatically be moved up to your level.

Why the need to be judgmental?!? Many happily married couples enjoy solo travel. In my case, my husband prefers work over travel, while I travel as often as I can :). My solo travel rejuvenates our marriage- time apart can be a very good thing, and being able to travel makes me very happy (we've been happily married for almost 40 years, and I've been traveling solo for most of them) :D

I've met (and travelled with) many happily married people who frequently travel sans spouse. Don't knock it until you try it!

(I actually feel sorry for couples who need to be together every moment. What's up with that?! LOL)

I agree. Although travel together is great, there have been times, for various reasons, that I did not travel with her and vice versa. Never on a cruise, but it could happen some day.

This is how ours worked, as well. I have several less points than my wife. I get her level.

Actually, when I view my husband's account, he has the same amount of points that I do, too, even though I usually put him in the other (non-suite) cabin (we travel with 3 kids ).

Is there a way your wife can speak with her boss to say that this was a pre-planned trip under her old job. I mean it would be somewhat of a financial burden with the booked airfare etc. She could offer to work extra time etc.

I know when you apply for jobs they ask if you have any pre-existing obligations such as vacations weddings etc. I mean what if your son was getting married on the ship your boss can't say no. See if your wife can tell your boss that this is an important trip while not trying to make it some grandiose lie.

See if your wife can negotiate with her boss. Yes I know its a new job however your wife knew about this trip before she took on the new job.

Edited by travelplus

I would wait till the last possible minute to think about canceling her. What if her reason for not going changes? It the rate is about the same, have her be a no show, and file for the tax refund later. November is a long ways away....I would wait for now.

I wouldn't cancel her non refundable tickets until the last moment also.

Just my opinion, but something to think about

Why the need to be judgmental?!? Many happily married couples enjoy solo travel. In my case, my husband prefers work over travel, while I travel as often as I can :). My solo travel rejuvenates our marriage- time apart can be a very good thing, and being able to travel makes me very happy (we've been happily married for almost 40 years, and I've been traveling solo for most of them) :D

I've met (and travelled with) many happily married people who frequently travel sans spouse. Don't knock it until you try it!

(I actually feel sorry for couples who need to be together every moment. What's up with that?! LOL)

Another very happy-to-travel-solo married cruiser here, too!

Another very happy-to-travel-solo married cruiser here, too!

Me too! It can only be a great experience if both spouses trust each other. That's why it works for us (20 years together). We go on trips alone all the time AND together!

Similar situation happened to me a few years ago on Mariner. My wife got stuck with work but I opted to go solo anyway. Had a great trip. Met some people, on the ship, that included me in their group and had a fantastic time.

Sometimes going outside the norm turns out to be a great adventure.:)

My wife was very happy to share good news with me.

She mentioned to her supervisor that we had a cruise booked prior to her starting her new job but was resigned to the fact she could not go. Much to her suprise her supervisor said she will check bit felt sure that they could excuse her for the trip.

We will keep you posted with any updates.

Again, thanks to so many of you for your input.

My wife was very happy to share good news with me.

She mentioned to her supervisor that we had a cruise booked prior to her starting her new job but was resigned to the fact she could not go. Much to her suprise her supervisor said she will check bit felt sure that they could excuse her for the trip.

We will keep you posted with any updates.

Again, thanks to so many of you for your input.

Glad it worked out. That would be the best possible outcome!:)

Edited by clarea