Just how bad are the vibrations in Aft rooms?

Dixie24

I have only cruised in forward or middle rooms, normally on higher decks. However, I will be on Main Deck Aft (cabin 2444) on Triumph later this month and am starting to worry about some of the horror stories I have read about people not being able to sleep because of the vibrations from the engines. Let me hear your experience staying low and aft on the ships.

I haven't really noticed any out of the ordinary problems on my cruises. I typically only cruise in the aft, but I've been on decks 7, 8, and 9 so maybe you don't notice it higher up? On princess I noticed our hangers were really rattling in the closet to the point that we put them on the floor at one point, because we hadn't gotten our luggage yet so we couldn't hang our clothes.

Honestly this is nothing that would prevent me from ever booking an aft cabin as the views you get from them far surpass any minor shaking. Now if you are in an inside, as it sounds like you may be, I would maybe think twice about it?

I would describe it as relatively minor, but it is a slightly erratic vibration rather than a smooth motion. I prefer smooth motion over erratic confused vibration. All in all it is not that big of deal, and of course it varies from ship to ship.

I love the aft but we can not ever do them when our 11 year old come with us. He gets so sick in the aft but is fine in the middle cabins. I notices a lot more movement in the back of the ship though

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I haven't really noticed any out of the ordinary problems on my cruises. I typically only cruise in the aft, but I've been on decks 7, 8, and 9 so maybe you don't notice it higher up? On princess I noticed our hangers were really rattling in the closet to the point that we put them on the floor at one point, because we hadn't gotten our luggage yet so we couldn't hang our clothes.

Honestly this is nothing that would prevent me from ever booking an aft cabin as the views you get from them far surpass any minor shaking. Now if you are in an inside, as it sounds like you may be, I would maybe think twice about it?

I'm in one of the rooms that has two OV windows, but is classified as a 1A.

On our Glory cruise we had the aft cabin on main deck, ocean view with the 2 windows.

I would book that cabin again because of the size.

The vibration is significant when leaving and pulling into ports. Again, my husband and I really enjoyed the extra large room, for the same price as a regular ocean view.

Edited by Cruzinbabe06

On our Glory cruise we had the aft cabin on main deck, ocean view with the 2 windows.

I would book that cabin again because of the size.

The vibration is significant when leaving and pulling into ports. Again, my husband and I really enjoyed the extra large room, for the same price as a regular ocean view.

How bad is it when you are just sailing on open water?

We have had an aft balcony for the past three years - the only time we really noticed the vibration was going in and out of ports otherwise very quiet. You may notice a bit more motion but I enjoy that. We were on the veranda all three times. I love these balconies:)

I have only cruised in forward or middle rooms, normally on higher decks. However, I will be on Main Deck Aft (cabin 2444) on Triumph later this month and am starting to worry about some of the horror stories I have read about people not being able to sleep because of the vibrations from the engines. Let me hear your experience staying low and aft on the ships.

How bad is it when you are just sailing on open water?

We had the cabin that would have been next to yours to the Aft but on the Valor

(don't even know if they are sisters ships, but looking at the deck plan they look a lot alike.)

Anyway, the only time we felt the vibrations were coming into and leaving port.

The rest of the time was Smooth sailing.

I can see if you like to sleep in on port days, you might not like it much. (only for about 10 mins though ,if that!)

Enjoy your cruise :)

Edited by Island Hopper58

Rivera deck, Aft on the Fantasy.

You know those cheap hotel vibrating beds you put a quarter in? Like that, but stronger, longer, and louder. ;)

Shush!

Don't tell them. If they find out we like that they'll start charging more for those cabins.;)

Been aft facing and past the aft elelvators on several of the Fantasy class ships, the Splendor and the Conquest.

The Conquest shook like a train, might have been the seas.

The Azipod-ed Fantasy ships shook when the ship was turning on low speeds. The other's didn't.

The Splendor was very smooth til we docked in Long Beach. I woke up thinking it was an earthquake. I almost always sleep through earthquakes. Sailed that ship several times and that was the only time we felt much of anything.

I sleep best on a ship.

Edited by SadieN

I'm in one of the rooms that has two OV windows, but is classified as a 1A.

Same here, in a couple of weeks.

I noticed vibration in an aft balcony on the Spirit. Very noticeable.

Realistically, it depends on the ship (shafted propellers or pods)(you're with pods), weather, and required speed for the itinerary. Also, ships of the same class can have very different vibration characteristics, as shipbuilding is still more art than science. If the ship needs to go full speed, or you are experiencing rough seas, the vibration will be quite significant. A lot of folks feel a "shimmy" in the aft most balcony cabins at sea. Then again, I've had folks ask me whether "the ship always moves this much" when we are tied to the pier. It's subjective.

DW and I had room 2477 on the Freedom for our first cruise. The only time it was "bad" was when we would pull in or out of port. The first morning we pulled into Ft. Lauderdale and we were woken up by the shaking of the ship. Other than that never really noticed it.

Please don't EVER book an aft balcony.... it is ssoo terrible that an aft balcony is my preferred location on the ship. If you don't book, then the rest of us will be able to get an aft any time we want. Please help us out. Terrible terrible location.

............ starting to worry about some of the horror stories I have read about people not being able to sleep because of the vibrations from the engines. Let me hear your experience staying .....aft on the ships.

Dixie24,

There is more vibration when maneuvering into and out of ports. Also when maneuvering around undersea obstacles prior to dropping anchor in ports like Belize and Half Moon Cay, there is more vibration. Sometimes the vibration is minimal and sometimes it's dramatic, but the more dramatic parts tend to be brief.

There's also a vibration when traveling at high speed; ships list their top or max speed, but sometimes they need to travel faster and when they do there is vibration (And yeah they do manage several knots faster than max when the need arises).

At no time would I describe it as 'horrible.' The second lowest we have been was deck four aft on Carnival Legend; which to date is our second roughest voyage ever, but was due to heavy seas as opposed to being low and aft. Incidentally our roughest voyage ever was also our first voyage back in 1989; We 'sailed around a hurricane.' After sailing around a hurricane I can assure you that I NEVER want to sail thru one based on how rough sailing around was.... Our cabin was on deck two forward which is our lowest ever. For us it's the lower the rougher and our highest have actually been our smoothest; deck 11 Forward on Destiny and deck 10 forward on Liberty, Glory, and Victory.

Most of our sailings are on deck 6 aft, but we've done all aft decks and the vibration is pretty consistent.

One thing you can count on is NOT oversleeping on port days; if the vibration doesn't wake you up then you need to sleep in anyhow. :)

All I can say is that I was in that cabin (2444 on the Triumph) in 2010. That was before the fire. Hopefully they have improved things. We cruised from New Orleans. It was very noisy and had a lot of vibration coming into and leaving ports. Everyone back there was commenting about it. All the way in on the Mississippi we heard loud booms, like someone was using a battering ram trying to open a huge door. What made it worse is it wasn't consistent. You could have several booms and then go for 5 minutes without one. Just when you thought it was over you'd get another boom. The rest of the time it wasn't bad.

Sharon

Shush!

Don't tell them. If they find out we like that they'll start charging more for those cabins.;)

Been aft facing and past the aft elelvators on several of the Fantasy class ships, the Splendor and the Conquest.

The Conquest shook like a train, might have been the seas.

The Azipod-ed Fantasy ships shook when the ship was turning on low speeds. The other's didn't.

The Splendor was very smooth til we docked in Long Beach. I woke up thinking it was an earthquake. I almost always sleep through earthquakes. Sailed that ship several times and that was the only time we felt much of anything.

I sleep best on a ship.

My son was at the very back of the main deck on conquest. They kept finding belongings they'd placed on their beds on the floor or eve under the other bed due to all the vibration... Didn't bother them other than that though...

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app