Death of 45-year old Man on Valor .March 30th sailing...

Charleyann

Woke up to Star Bright A few doors down fom my cabin . Running , crying and commotion . a 45 year old man died the morning of St Kitts . Got off the ship and on came crime inspectors and coroner. At that point , no one else was able to get off for a while ....

Some people were confined to their rooms with norovirus and security posted outside their doors ....

The smell of sewage was unimaginable at times but it was the Funship and it was beautiful!

Woke up to Star Bright A few doors down fom my cabin . Running , crying and commotion . a 45 year old man died the morning of St Kitts . Got off the ship and on came crime inspectors and coroner. At that point , no one else was able to get off for a while ....

Some people were confined to their rooms with norovirus and security posted outside their doors ....

The smell of sewage was unimaginable at times but it was the Funship and it was beautiful!

Ok so 3 fairly common things happened on your cruise

Noro is not uncommon

Sewage smell has been known to happen

And all ships have a morgue

While it is tragic to die on vacation or get noro or have a smelly hallway

I would guess all 3 have happened more often than you know

On which decks did you notice the sewage smell? Wonder if it is an inherent problem with the ship's plumbing, or some idiots overflowed the toilet doing something stupid.

Edited by PCHENG

I was on that cruise and didn't see anything about norovirus nor did I smell anything bad. What deck was this?

I did hear a brightstar announcement, but didn't know anyone had passed.

How horrible, hope it didn't ruin your cruise and condolences to the loved ones of the poor man who passed away.

I was on this boat too. The reason they wouldn't let us off the boat was because of the Princess ship that was docking. It was a safety precaution.

I did hear the bright star announcement around 6 something in the morning and wondered what it was. How sad to lose a young family member and on a vacation where that is the last thing on your mind.

As for the sewage smell, it was all over the boat. If we left our toilet seat up you could smell a strong pee stench. At first we thought our steward didn't clean our bathroom, but soon figured out the culprit.

All three on the 6 deck. The young man died of disbetic shock. There were two cabins of family . It was very sad . Delay getting off the ship was two things . The ship docking and police and medical examiner . Security told me to hurry and get off . I had my sooter a d I usually exited vs crew door ....

None of this dampened my mood or spoiled my cruise , although the young mans family were not far from my thoughts :(

I felt horrible for my room steward . He said this was his second death in two years. The first a woman of 59 years old ....

They put security at the doors of folks that were sick? Seriously? Has anyone ever heard of that happening? Do they really have enough security folks to waste them standing at the doors of sick folks instead of real security type things?

Just wondering as I have never heard of that happening when there is noro.

I was on that cruise and did not notice any odors whatsoever where I was located. We were on Deck 7, midship.

My teen was friends with the family who experienced the death. The teen in that family said Carnival was treating them well, and they were dealing with it in San Juan, and the deceased had a pre-existing health condition.

As for illness... well, I ended up with some sort of bug. It was NOT Norovirus as I was not sick enough. Had I been terribly sick I would have gone to the medical center and ended up under quarantine. My family was not impacted. I picked it up on the afternoon/evening of my St Lucia day. Only thing I had on the ship was oatmeal around 7:30am and a sandwich from the deli around 3:30pm; I had no lunch except for a fresh banana in St Lucia on a tour. By 7pm my stomach was rolling and by 10pm I was sick. (Actually left the show to go back to my room.) Needless to say I didn't pick up any weight on this trip but its probably due more to the 'eh' food rather than being sick and not wanting to eat for 3 days. I've been on 23 cruises and this is the first time I've had a bug, so I guess that isn't too bad of odds. It was going to happen eventually.