San Francisco hotel question

HMSDingy

Am I misreading or are the prices for hotels in Fishermans Wharf in the area of $500 to $700 per night??:eek: I'm looking fro a decent clean hotel for a 2 night pre-cruise stay that I don't need to take out a loan to pay for.

Edited by HMSDingy

Sorry I should of posted my sailing dates. We would be arriving September 28th and sailing out on October 1st.

Hmmmmm...

My first thought was Fleet Week...which is a MAJOR event in San Francisco...but that starts on October 9...

I'm not sure how big this one is, but it could be the cause:

http://www.oracle.com/openworld/location/index.html

Oracle is pretty big...and this event looks to be fairly large with people in from all over the world...

That is probably affecting your hotel rates...

You might consider widening your search to include smaller hotels that may not make the radar of the Oracle folks...

I'd make a reservation somewhere, then keep monitoring hotel rates to see if you can improve on it...

Edited by Bruin Steve

What other areas besides Fisherman's Wharf would any of you recommend. I found this

funky looking place in Castro, I believe, called Beck's moderately priced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What other areas besides Fisherman's Wharf would any of you recommend. I found this funky looking place in Castro, I believe, called Beck's moderately priced.

Union Square area is popular for its convenient location though the neighborhood may not be the best...but I doubt the prices there will show many bargains...

We've stayed at the Courtyard in SoMa--which is quite nice...but, being close to the Moscone Center, it seems that it, and any other hotels in that area are sold out...

I would suggest checking out the Marina District (The area between Fishermans Wharf and the Golden Gate Bridge) It's a fairly safe area (my daughter lives there)...There are a number of smaller hotels along Lombard Street...many from major motel chains--Super 8, Days Inn, HoJo, etc. Typically NOT first class hotels, but serviceable and definately at a lower price than the Wharf or the Financial District...The area is quite trendy--with all sorts of great restaurants and shopping along Chestnut St., one block north...It's a long walk...or a short bus ride (#30) to Fishermans Wharf...

Thanks I found 2 on Lombard St. that look good & one has excellent reviews on Tripadvisor. I might as well book to reserve & continue to shop around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We cruised out of SF last Sept. I found the Columbus Motor Inn on Columbus Ave. We were able to walk to the waterfront and the cable car was right around the corner. Bus stop is in front of the hotel.

We asked for a room in the back and it was quiet with a wonderful view. Our friends with us were on the Columbus Ave side. They had a small balcony and could see the ship when it pulled in.

Good luck.

We are cruising out of San Francisco in September 2014, and when I first started considering hotel rooms for a pre-cruise stay I looked at the Argonaut. We've stayed in the Argonaut before and love it, but I balked at the price (almost double what we paid several years before). One of our roll call members uses Priceline frequently, and was pretty sure she could identify a certain San Francisco hotel. She was correct in her hunch. So a number of us also used Priceline, and will be staying at the Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf for $85.00 per night.

The moral of the story is to check the roll call for your particular sailing.

The downside is you are fairly isolated from most of the "sights" and will need to take a city bus or cab to downtown shopping, Fisherman's Wharf, etc. One block over on Chestnut St. there are some nkce restaurants.

On the edge of downtown is the Tenderloin with tons of cheap hotels. Do not stay in that area.

Check out quikbook.com and jetsetter.com as we'll as groupon and other similar sites. Also, sites like priceline don't always show pricing for seniors, military, gov't workers - so look at the big chains' own sites.

We just did a jetsetter deal on the north coast of CA and got $300+ room for $109.

SF's hotels are not cheap particularly if you want to park a car.

If you've got hotel points or convertible airline points, now's the time to use them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also - one other thing that sometimes has worked for me: call the chamber of commerce or visitor's bureau and see if you can get a list of conference in town during your time frame. Then go to the organization or company's website to find out if you can get the hotel discount code without registering for the meeting itself.

Just got a "deal" offer from another site I watch (SweetJack.com)

http://www.sweetjack.com/travel/m/deal/national/san-francisco-819041?_wcsid=CA8031708C5897596DB61C0671E43458477F24FDCE85DE35&linksrc=details&utm_campaign=SweetJack_819041&utm_medium=MerchantAPI&utm_source=SweetJack

It says "2 nights at 4 star SF hotel". You'd need to act in the next 3 days. I went no further on a date search. But, I do believe it's worth a look even though I am convinced your hi-season dates would cost more than $249.

Seaside Inn. Price is reasonable & on Lombard. Anyone hear of this place?

I don't know it specifically, but it has very good reviews on TripAdvisor.Com.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60713-d3332070-Reviews-Seaside_Inn-San_Francisco_California.html

The location is pretty good as well...It's actually sort of in between the trendy part of the Marina District (between Filmore and Divisidero) and Fishermans Wharf...You'll walk the block down to Lombard and about 3-6 blocks west to the restaurants and shops of the Marina or zig and zag 3 blocks east to Van Ness, 4 blocks north to North Point and a block east to Ghirardelli Square and the start of the Fishermans Wharf area (or, possibly, take a short taxi ride)...And there are a few restaurants near the hotel along Lombard as well...

Edited by Bruin Steve

I would book your reservation. If you can get a reservation you can cancel. We went to SF during Fleet Week and I did not want to pay the $300-$400 per night. I kept checking and finally 2 weeks before departure I found a 4 star in the Financial District for $165 per night. It was very nice and we had a view of the bay. It was a blind bid on one of the sites where you can see the area but not the exact hotel or location. We lived in the city and know our way around by public transit so we were flexible on the hotel area.

SF has great public transit - many of the buses run frequently and until late at night. If you stay on Lombard - you can walk to Van Ness there are several buses available to get to North Beach, China Town, Union Sq and Fisherman's Wharf. Get a bus map - the many one way streets mean that the stops can be on different intersections. Also if you take the 30 or 45 be very careful - the very crowded buses often attract the pickpockets.

Bad news for you.

You will probably NOT be cut a break on a hotel room in San Francisco for the dates you have selected. You are in SF during Oracle Open World, which is one of the largest conventions here. Because it is a sell out date throughout the Bay Area, hotel prices go through the roof.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but it's just going to be expensive to be in SF that week.

Priceline has the Sheraton at $675 for October. Unfortunately for us October prices are through the roof. I'll search some more.

The person in post #11 of this thread referring to getting the Sheraton on Priceline for $85 was talking about their "name your own price" bidding product. What you're seeing for $675 is Priceline's retail product. Two entirely different animals, yet the same company!

What a wonderful wealth of info here. We are planning a cruise to Hawaii next April. Right now the hotels are not open to booking, but I do have Hilton points and dogging the Hilton Union Square Hotel. I will book for two days as travelling from the East Coast is long. :(

Could anyone recommend restaurants in that area? Also, as we will have one day to sightsee, any recommendations there also. I am hoping that the hotel will have tours and would love any suggestions you may have.:)

I think we are close to the "tenderloin" area that you all speak about. I get what the name means ;) so would want to stay away from there.

I believe we will sail from Pier 35 and would grab a cab from the hotel the day of sailing.

Does anyone know what may be "going on" during the week of April 27th, 2015? Conventions, etc.

Thanks in advance.:):)

What a wonderful wealth of info here. We are planning a cruise to Hawaii next April. Right now the hotels are not open to booking, but I do have Hilton points and dogging the Hilton Union Square Hotel. I will book for two days as travelling from the East Coast is long. :(

Could anyone recommend restaurants in that area? Also, as we will have one day to sightsee, any recommendations there also. I am hoping that the hotel will have tours and would love any suggestions you may have.:)

I think we are close to the "tenderloin" area that you all speak about. I get what the name means ;) so would want to stay away from there.

I believe we will sail from Pier 35 and would grab a cab from the hotel the day of sailing.

Does anyone know what may be "going on" during the week of April 27th, 2015? Conventions, etc.

Thanks in advance.:):)

I MUCH prefer THIS Hilton:

http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/california/hilton-san-francisco-financial-district-SFOFDHF/index.html

I've stayed there a few times...nice hotel, right next to Chinatown, very close to North Beach (great Italian restaurants)...closer to the pier and to Fishermans Wharf...

I believe, in the Hilton points system, it's the same number of points as the Union Square one...

Map of Tenderloin:

https://www.google.com/maps/vt/data=VLHX1wd2Cgu8wR6jwyh-km8JBWAkEzU4,o9HmkcXBHk75O-q-Xfg6_Bs0vPupEehWi9uW5AsO2-AuRnGINpNQzlr4LPKGlVT703vzZAyg7ZpS_8QEFNnD1PTgeQJ4MIe_KMRjPm8WqYmk6QqfM0oWLWje1rdBHRCa67AKnXsuToVox7rqmpdyx_Cd3RTGDEVTDaM-yfO-rXmmFs3dRj44YgeCRM_bIOvHDlxZnjeu

Edited by Bruin Steve