Beds on Carnival Ships

dyoung1550

We first sailed with Carnival on January 2009. We traveled tothe MR on the Pride. The beds were wonderful. We traveled again in August 2009 on the Splendor. the beds were worn out with the center sagging with any support. We traveled in 2012 again on the Splendor and found the bed OK with no complaints. We then did the MR on the Miracle during March of 2014. These beds were like rocks. We did not rest or sleep well on this cruise. We love everything else about Carnival but if the beds are like rocks, we will be looking at other cruise lines on our next cruise. Carnival use to pride themselves on how good their bed were to the point of selling mattresses on their cruises.... To me a good rest and a good bed is the key to being the best. I hope Carnival will pride themselves once again to insure their bedding is the best.

The beds are now so hard! I just refer to them as rocks. My first experience with these rocks was also on the Miracle 3 years ago. I actually blamed that ship for it, thinking it was unique to that ship. But in my following cruises, I have found that they have been in the process of switching over to rocks fleetwide. It might not be complete yet, but the comfy beds will be few & far between. And once comfy bed doesn't mean the whole ship has comfy beds, as they don't switch out all of them at once.

The previous poster is correct that the mattresses do wear out quickly. But the problem is that Carnival is not replacing them with their classic soft comfy mattresses anymore. They're replacing them with rocks. The sofa beds are even worse, by the way. My first sofa bed was as comfy as any bed can be. Not anymore. They are now even harder than rocks. I now sleep on top of the comforter to add some padding. Otherwise, I would sleep horribly. I didn't figure out that trick on the Miracle, and I was desperate to get off the ship so that I could get some good sleep. I also hope that Carnival will change their minds about going the cheap route with bedding and the entertainment.

Edited by k2excursion

I am a little worried about this I thought the beds on rcl and carnival were comfortable. The beds on our only princess cruise were horrible. We will be on the miracle in august so I am concerned.

Why didn't you request a Foam Mattress Topper? I know other cruiselines offer them. All you have to do is ask & they will accomodate you. The most comfortable bed we every slept in was on the Epic in the Haven Suite. I was like sleeping on a Cloud.

We were just on the Carnival Fantasy and at our advancing ages (50), mattresses, pillows and shower water pressure are becoming more and more important to us. Our group of 18 year old girls made no mention of any of that, only boys registered on their scale of concern.

We were thrilled with all three. The mattress seemed new and proved you don't need a box spring to make a bed really comfortable. Best night sleep we've had in a long time. We wrote down the name off the pillows hoping to buy some at home and the water pressure was better than any hotel we've stayed at in a long time and that includes expensive places like the W, etc.

We had foam mattress topper on top of our Splendor mattress, and slept like babies despite the rocking of the ship, and the comforter/sheets were soft & fresh smelling - and, must confess - they're better than those on NCL, which we are fairly loyal with. One of our SIL was in the sofa bed and she had no issues sleeping for 8 nights.

If the bedding is too hard or uncomfortable, speak with the steward and if not resolved, call or go to Guest Services and escalate the concern for a resolution.

Edited by mking8288

Did we request a foam topper for our beds? Yes we did on the second day of the cruise. How do this foam toppers work? They are not as long as the bed, which means your feet are not supported by them. The beds on the Miracle became a daily topic during dinner at our table for eight, all of us strangers until this cruise. This was our 5th cruise with Carnival.....not our first... Have we noticed the changes in mattresses? Yes... in just 5 years.... I've slept on carpet on a floor that was more comfortable. That was the opinion of the others during dinner. By the third night the topic changed to the too short foam toppers....I don't have any other complaints about Carnival except you need to rest on a cruise by being able to sleep....

I did think our bed on the Liberty was a bit hard, but usually I just think it's me being picky. We have a really nice mattress at home so when we go places that the mattresses aren't as nice I tend to not sleep as well. I just assumed it was that. But I do have to agree.

We loved the beds on the Dream and Breeze. We slept so well on those cruises. Our son was not really a fan of the sofa beds, they were pretty hard and I did agree with him. I like a firm mattress but that was a bit much even for me. We did put an extra comforter under him for a little more softness and he was happy.

We cruised on the Splendor last Sept. The bed in our cabin was really sunken in and you just stayed in that one spot on your back all night. Told the steward about it and he gave us a mattress topper, that didn't help at all because of how bad the 2 indentations in the mattress were. We couldn't wait for that cruise to end! I should have gone to guest services to see what they could do, too late now. :mad:

It's temporary bedding so whatever its condition, we accept it for duration of the cruise. We liked the pillows so well, we purchased them from Carnival after one of our previous cruises...still using them--they have never flattened as some we've purchased from local stores.

The beds are now so hard! I just refer to them as rocks. My first experience with these rocks was also on the Miracle 3 years ago. I actually blamed that ship for it, thinking it was unique to that ship. But in my following cruises, I have found that they have been in the process of switching over to rocks fleetwide. It might not be complete yet, but the comfy beds will be few & far between. And once comfy bed doesn't mean the whole ship has comfy beds, as they don't switch out all of them at once.

The previous poster is correct that the mattresses do wear out quickly. But the problem is that Carnival is not replacing them with their classic soft comfy mattresses anymore. They're replacing them with rocks. The sofa beds are even worse, by the way. My first sofa bed was as comfy as any bed can be. Not anymore. They are now even harder than rocks. I now sleep on top of the comforter to add some padding. Otherwise, I would sleep horribly. I didn't figure out that trick on the Miracle, and I was desperate to get off the ship so that I could get some good sleep. I also hope that Carnival will change their minds about going the cheap route with bedding and the entertainment.

Does anyone remember when Carnival used to provide a flyer in your cabin trying to sell you the mattress sets they use? They had some name for them like "Cloud" something or other. Not any more! Having cruised with Carnival 26 times, over 14 years, I can assure you these are not the same mattresses. Like many other items they became victims of cost reduction. I read something about 3-4 years ago which contained a statement from Carnival they were still buying mattresses from the same supplier they had been buying from for years and that there was no change in the quality of the bedding. I envisioned a bit of "nose growth" with that one!!!

We've never noticed any issues with the beds...but then by the time we get to bed each night we're so exhausted that we don't care what the beds are like. We just want to sleep.

Both cruises, DH and DS shared the bed and I slept on a trundle on the floor. DS was supposed to sleep on the trundle but he threw such a fit about it I was like, "Whatever." The trundle was suprisingly comfortable. Or maybe it was just because I was so exhausted. DH and DS would turn in around 10 pm or so while I danced the night away or hung out in the piano bar until around 2 am.

Did we request a foam topper for our beds? Yes we did on the second day of the cruise. How do this foam toppers work? They are not as long as the bed, which means your feet are not supported by them. The beds on the Miracle became a daily topic during dinner at our table for eight, all of us strangers until this cruise. This was our 5th cruise with Carnival.....not our first... Have we noticed the changes in mattresses? Yes... in just 5 years.... I've slept on carpet on a floor that was more comfortable. That was the opinion of the others during dinner. By the third night the topic changed to the too short foam toppers....I don't have any other complaints about Carnival except you need to rest on a cruise by being able to sleep....

my foam topper for my bed doesn't fit either. but its just my feet...don't really care. I like a mattress a bit more firm. I've never found the mattress on carnival "rock" hard like you mention. Ive slept in hotels around the world....its a cloud compared to some of the hotel beds ive been in. I have always slept like a baby on my cruises

Edited by cruise_girl2002

Does anyone remember when Carnival used to provide a flyer in your cabin trying to sell you the mattress sets they use? They had some name for them like "Cloud" something or other. Not any more! ...

Surely, we have flyers in our cabins last September on the Splendor - you can order mattresses (assorted sizes) and comforters, sheets & pillows/cases, even towels & robes, etc. at a special rate from CCL's official vendor/supplier as I recall. Probably still in our packets - my recollection is that they are quite pricey too.

Over time, wear-n-tear happened to our own matttresses & beddings at home - and the ones on CCL are slept on, jumped on, and sat upon more on a daily basis, 365 days year-round. If they are as bad as they felt, I would go all the way up the chains of command to the ship's hotel director, and document it with a followup to corporate afterward if not resolved to our satisfaction during the cruise - they surely have spare ones on deck 0 or 00 (and, full disclosure: we owned CCL stocks too)

Edited by mking8288