Pictures: Diamond Princess New Features for Japanese Market

Cruise Wonderland

Well, I've just been having a look and have found the menu - with charges... http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/KaiSushi_DI_SP_SampleMenu2014.pdf

With so many Japanese people onboard, I do wonder if there will be less expensive sushi available at the buffet, without the expensive fish on top.

Well, I've just been having a look and have found the menu - with charges... http://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/Onboard_Experience/KaiSushi_DI_SP_SampleMenu2014.pdf

With so many Japanese people onboard, I do wonder if there will be less expensive sushi available at the buffet, without the expensive fish on top.

The "crab margarita" is $9 on the Diamond but only $6 on the Royal. :eek: :confused:

• 2 weeks later...
Did they get rid of the Thermal Suites in the Spa? The hot stone beds were one of my favorites.

How much are the Japanese baths and does one go in the buff or with swimsuits?

Thermal suite in the Lotus spa is still there, as per usual. No changes - ceramic beds are still there (my home away from home :) )

Izumi (Japanese bath house) is $20 for 90mins. There is separate door/area on one side for women, and one side for men. These are alternated each day so you can experience both sides if you go back again. And yes - you are FORCED to be naked, as part of the Japanese experience. You are not allowed to wear bathers, unless going into the outside spa area under the pagoda.

The Japanese loved the spa and have no problems with nudity (at all). Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Very happy to be ignorant of some aspect of my fellow passengers. Not sure how the concept is going to take off when the Diamond repositions back to Australia in November.

I'd love it! I spent a two week vacation in Japan and enjoyed Japanese bath houses in several hotels, and even at specialized Onsen. Despite being a middle-aged overweight female, I really wasn't bothered about the nudity. It just seemed very natural. Japanese women don't stare at each other and so, although I stood out like a sore thumb with my blonde hair, it really wasn't a problem. The only person who made any comment to me was an American of Japanese heritage who seemed very surprised that I was comfortable in that environment.

I shall have to look out for some interesting Diamond Princess cruises ;)

However I suspect many Australians won't be all that comfortable with the concept.

Apparently Kai Sushi is on the Sun Princess as well, which I am cruising on at Christmas. I've heard reports that it isn't very popular with the Aussie cruising crowd, possibly due to the extra cost. I believe it's only open in the evenings which is a shame. I'd love to see it as an alternative lunch venue.

Apparently Kai Sushi is on the Sun Princess as well, which I am cruising on at Christmas. I've heard reports that it isn't very popular with the Aussie cruising crowd, possibly due to the extra cost. I believe it's only open in the evenings which is a shame. I'd love to see it as an alternative lunch venue.

I actually enjoyed the Kai sushi restaurant. The surchage isn't a set price for a set menu like the others, but pay for what you eat surchage (every menu item had a price). I'm not sure if its as popular with the Japanese either. We had the whole place to ourselves both times we where there. Generally saw it either empty or up to a third full towards the end of the cruise when we walked past.

I assume the Japanese weren't as willing to pay a surcharge for everyday type food(to them). Probably like going out for a burger a chips to us??

I did notice they were packing Sabatini's.

Probably not quite the outcome Princess "Powers that be" where hoping for....

Yes, sounds like the concept isn't working as Princess expected it to. Also sushi fish needs to be very, very fresh. Unless Princess are sourcing it at every port, it probably won't be as fresh as Japanese diners expect it to be.

I just looked at the prices on the Princess website. Not sure if they are in AUD or USD but they could be a little on the high side. I would pay that at my local Japanese restaurant. That may be a deterrent. For $25 at Sabatini's you get a multi-course meal. For $25 at Kai Sushi you'd get five pieces of sashimi and maybe four pieces of sushi, or one udon soup. I did notice the miso soup is free!

Thermal suite in the Lotus spa is still there, as per usual. No changes - ceramic beds are still there (my home away from home :) )

Izumi (Japanese bath house) is $20 for 90mins. There is separate door/area on one side for women, and one side for men. These are alternated each day so you can experience both sides if you go back again. And yes - you are FORCED to be naked, as part of the Japanese experience. You are not allowed to wear bathers, unless going into the outside spa area under the pagoda.

The Japanese loved the spa and have no problems with nudity (at all). Not my cup of tea I'm afraid. Very happy to be ignorant of some aspect of my fellow passengers. Not sure how the concept is going to take off when the Diamond repositions back to Australia in November.

Lanwood - Thank you so very much for your reply. I am so happy to hear that the

Thermal Suites are still there. How much are they charging now to use it. If one becomes a member of the Sanctuary, can one use it for free?

As to the Japanese bath house, I suspected that swimsuits would not be allowed. the whole Japanese bath routine is very relaxing and clean. Swimsuits are unsanitary, even small clean towels are not allowed to be dipped into the bath water. But I can see how confusing it will get, with having to wear swimsuits outside and not inside. Plus considering that most of the ports have Hot springs, I think that 20 dollars might be a bit expensive to pay for normal bath water.

I am booked on a cruise in Mid-August and would prefer to go to the Hot Springs and real sushi places in the ports.

Am glad that I booked a room near the lifts that are close to the Lotus Spa.

Please enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Lanwood - Thank you so very much for your reply. I am so happy to hear that the

Thermal Suites are still there. How much are they charging now to use it. If one becomes a member of the Sanctuary, can one use it for free?

The Sanctuary is a separate charge not affiliated with the Thermal suite in the Lotus spa. The thermal suite is a must for us whenever we cruise Princess. A VIP pass to the thermal suite will vary in price depending on the number of cruise days etc. Our 9 day cruise cost $139pp on embarkation day. I also have a spa brochure our TA got for us on her tour of Diamond several months earlier that says the 7 day Sydney to Perth was $129pp and 12 days Perth to Singapore was $159pp.

There is limited VIP bookings allowed per cruise, and there is a free gift (normally a body scrub of your choice to use in the steam rooms) if you book on embarkation day.

The Sanctuary is a separate charge not affiliated with the Thermal suite in the Lotus spa. The thermal suite is a must for us whenever we cruise Princess. A VIP pass to the thermal suite will vary in price depending on the number of cruise days etc. Our 9 day cruise cost $139pp on embarkation day. I also have a spa brochure our TA got for us on her tour of Diamond several months earlier that says the 7 day Sydney to Perth was $129pp and 12 days Perth to Singapore was $159pp.

There is limited VIP bookings allowed per cruise, and there is a free gift (normally a body scrub of your choice to use in the steam rooms) if you book on embarkation day.

Lanwood - Once again, thank you for your reply. I also always join the spas as soon as I board any ship. I will make sure that, that is what I will do as soon as I get on.

I just looked at the prices on the Princess website. Not sure if they are in AUD or USD but they could be a little on the high side. I would pay that at my local Japanese restaurant. That may be a deterrent. For $25 at Sabatini's you get a multi-course meal. For $25 at Kai Sushi you'd get five pieces of sashimi and maybe four pieces of sushi, or one udon soup. I did notice the miso soup is free!

Oh, but don't forget, you also get a free desert of green tea ice cream with some sort of baked beans poured on top....I know, sounds a bit exotic to us, but it's a hit with the locals.....:rolleyes:

So it looks like the westerners will go to the old spa rather than the Japanese one, perhaps! Shame about the price of sushi, we like it as a mid-afternoon snack, rather than a full meal. We can get good sushi here in Birmingham (UK) at the same price or even less, so doubt we'll be partaking of nude bathing or overpriced sushi!

Oh, but don't forget, you also get a free desert of green tea ice cream with some sort of baked beans poured on top....I know, sounds a bit exotic to us, but it's a hit with the locals.....:rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I missed the free dessert. ;)

I like red bean paste but I'm a bit over green tea ice-cream, it's boring.

I'd love it! I spent a two week vacation in Japan and enjoyed Japanese bath houses in several hotels, and even at specialized Onsen. Despite being a middle-aged overweight female, I really wasn't bothered about the nudity. It just seemed very natural. Japanese women don't stare at each other and so, although I stood out like a sore thumb with my blonde hair, it really wasn't a problem. The only person who made any comment to me was an American of Japanese heritage who seemed very surprised that I was comfortable in that environment.

One of my favorite memories of Japan -- being in the bath house with a stunning view over a valley! So glad the price is reasonable as I think I will be visiting a few times. I'm now a greying older overweight female!

• 3 weeks later...

To me the IZUMI JAPANESE BATH is a complete waste of money. What Princess spent on the baths and only the baths areas should have been put into refurbishing and upgrading the staterooms. The other upgrades I think are really good . . . they cater for all activities not just one particular activity.

To me the IZUMI JAPANESE BATH is a complete waste of money. What Princess spent on the baths and only the baths areas should have been put into refurbishing and upgrading the staterooms. The other upgrades I think are really good . . . they cater for all activities not just one particular activity.

I assume you are not of Japanese origin, John.

Princess didn't put the Japanese Baths in for Australians, they put them to attract Japanese cruisers.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

I think Princess have spent the money wisely. The ship refurbishments looked great (and our stateroom still looked brand new). I've read from another poster that the Izumi spa will revert to a Thermal type suite arrangement while in Australia. So that's going to be a double joy - as we always book VIP passes to the suite - we will be spoilt for choice on Diamond during Aussie seasons. So for me it's money well spent (I think it was for the Japanese to).

What a beautiful job on the refurbishment! A few things come to mind:

- The HC looks identical to the way it was on April 3rd (when I got off it) as far as the set up of the food stations but the chairs look SO much more comfortable!!!! The tables look nice too.

- Calypso Cove looks almost identical - very few changes but streamlined with a new desk and flooring maybe?

- The ship looks beautiful over all.

OP-Thank you for sharing the pictures!

Edited by DrivesLikeMario