not showing up for cruise

Biffer1997

What is the key phrase to say if a passenger is unable to sail so the person in the cabin doesn't get hit with a fee/extra charge?

If its a last minute cancellation the person already paid for their half of the room anyway and the cruise line couldn't care less whether they actually cruise only whether they pay. You should actually talk to the cruise line though because that person's taxes and port charges may be able to be refunded.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Edited by Jana60

If its a last minute cancellation the person already paid for their half of the room anyway and the cruise line couldn't care less whether they actually cruise only whether they pay. You should actually talk to the cruise line though because that person's taxes and port charges may be able to be refunded.

The taxes and port charges will be refunded, regardless. If you call the cruise line, the cruise fare for the first passenger may increase to match the current fare for that stateroom. Also, the guest cancelling may be forced to pay the early saver penalty.

It shouldn't be a cancellation, because if the other person cancelled, the remaining person will get hit with the missing person's fare. If it's a no show, no new cost, just a tax/port refund.

The taxes and port charges will be refunded, regardless. If you call the cruise line, the cruise fare for the first passenger may increase to match the current fare for that stateroom. Also, the guest cancelling may be forced to pay the early saver penalty.

They won't make him pay for a room that's already paid for. the only way you'd have to pay for the other half of the room is if the no showing occupant got their money back, which isn't going to happen last minute.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Forums mobile app

They won't make him pay for a room that's already paid for. the only way you'd have to pay for the other half of the room is if the no showing occupant got their money back, which isn't going to happen last minute.

Oh but they will. The other person's fare will be taken as " penalty " , leaving the room half unoccupied. Just let it be a no show. Never call in advance to cancel.

Oh but they will. The other person's fare will be taken as " penalty " , leaving the room half unoccupied. Just let it be a no show. Never call in advance to cancel.

I've never heard anyone else say that! I would be tempted to call them without revealing name and ask what the policy is in that regard.

Just say "I don't know exactly where he/she is" It's the truth, you don't know EXACTLY where the person is.

But I would probably wait until I was on board and then go to guest services and tell them the person isn't going to make it. That way they won't be holding back on turning in the manifest, which could cause a bit of a delay.

I've never heard anyone else say that! I would be tempted to call them without revealing name and ask what the policy is in that regard.

It's been discussed at length here. Your assumption makes total sense. But it's more in the way their policy works. If a person cancels they lose whatever amount of money they are supposed to lose. Assume it's 100% that they lose. The assumption is that the cabin is paid for. But then the system sees only 1 person booked in a cabin and charges that person the single person rate. The system doesn't care that someone else lost their money.

That is the reason you hear everyone saying it's better to be a no-show.

That is the reason you hear everyone saying it's better to be a no-show.

That's just plain unfair but yeah, I would definitely just let him be a no show if that's the case.

What if the person has insurance .... They get back 75%, but the person going still has to then pay the solo charge?

I might have this situation ... My dad and son are sharing a room, but my son is thinking he can't afford it now and might cancel ... Was going to get insurance on him to recoupe the 75% (I was going to pay for the cruise and he was going to make payments to me) .... I was under the impression that my dad's cabin and rate wouldn't change .... Now I'm really confused and concerned