WIFI - Email, etc

SEAEDP

Just because you paid for it does not mean you can use it.

My wife cant let go completely so she bought a data package.

The lady nect to her in the internet lounge was visably upset about her connection speed and issues. (she kept timeing out or internet was unavailable)

You may do better using wifi at iteneray stops...

Just because you paid for it does not mean you can use it.

My wife cant let go completely so she bought a data package.

The lady nect to her in the internet lounge was visably upset about her connection speed and issues. (she kept timeing out or internet was unavailable)

You may do better using wifi at iteneray stops...

Unless you absolutely have to check every day, you can get much better internet access in the ports. There are some good cruising websites (like cruise port insider) that tell you where to go for access, but an easier way is to just ask one of the crew members - they know where the best/cheapest/most convenient access is in virtually every port.

I just take my ipad when we get off the ship.

DaveOKC

It costs $3.75 to start an account, then the choices are

$0.75 per minute

100 minutes for $55

250 minutes for $100

500 minutes for $175

1000 minutes for $250

It is very slow and unreliable in northern latitudes like AK. Signal strength in your cabin will depend on how close you are to one of the hallway repeater points.

I suggest you take your iPad ashore to McDonalds, etc

Edited by catl331

Very true, Martin.... I was just thinking that from Sat afternoon until we get into Alaska on Monday, a LOT can happen at with my house-sitter and my 60 lb English Bulldog..lol. I just didn't want to be out of touch just in case of an emergency.

I buy the 100 minutes the first day of the cruise and get some bonus minutes. I manage to connect once a day most days and check my email just to make sure the house is still standing. The connection is slow but if you use your own device you can connect, collect your email, go off line, compose your email and then reconnect to send. I use a dedicated email address for vacations only. Don't be discouraged you can still check on your dog.

If you must use it, use a wiki hotspot in port. Also note, while you can use your cellphone/ipad (if equipped) for Internet access, make sure about your data plans, roaming plans with your carrier. Depending on what carrier you may have options that work, or obseane charges on your carrier's bill.

On a side note. One reason I go on cruises is so I can disconnect. Since 1996 I have been on call 24/7. Keeping a laptop and some form of wireless modem so I can have Internet access (starting with a 56k Ricochet Modem in '96). Heck my Palm V had it's own Omnisky modem at the time. Once I board the ship my iPhone is in airplane mode, my iPad is in airplane mode, my ATT and VZ MiFi's never see the light of day. It is even scary on how much tech I keep in my backpack. I just tell work, if they really want to get ahold of me, here is the ship's number and my cabin number. Never has work called, as I would submit an expense report for the cost of the call, cost of the internet (if needed), cost of my liquor bill, cost of the cruise and cost of any airfare.

I was just thinking that from Sat afternoon until we get into Alaska on Monday, a LOT can happen at with my house-sitter and my 60 lb English Bulldog..lol. I just didn't want to be out of touch just in case of an emergency.
If that's all that you're concerned about, you don't need email or Facebook. All you need is a phone that can receive a text. The phone will work almost all the time, and your housesitter can simply text you if anything dreadful happens during this critical 36 hours. Just remember to switch off any data services that the phone might try to use - all you need to leave active is the phone (or even just the text) function.

Keep in mind the internet is changing to a new system and many - including those who've sailed HAL as much as any other living soul - is likely stopping sailing with HAL because they can't connect anymore.

Keep in mind the internet is changing to a new system and many - including those who've sailed HAL as much as any other living soul - is likely stopping sailing with HAL because they can't connect anymore.

Are there any cruise ships/lines with better connections? I was just on Royal Princess and it was just as slow. I would think being in the middle if the ocean away from satellites would be standard for most lines. It's pax that can't stand to be disconnected. And when people use up bandwith to stream movies or skype it becomes even hard to get a connection. To say nothing of the poor crew!

What type of new system is HAL implementing?

I manage to connect once a day most days and check my email just to make sure the house is still standing. .

Why do you want to know? Remember - you are on a cruise and can deal w the problem when you get back. Why ruin the cruise w bad news about your house?

DON

A division of Harris Corp is replacing MTN:

http://harris.com/view_pressrelease.asp?act=lookup&pr_id=3641

Ironically, MTN was in the process of upgrading equipment which was improving speeds, while the initial installation of the Harris system (on the Amsterdam) is terrible so far.

Why do you want to know? Remember - you are on a cruise and can deal w the problem when you get back. Why ruin the cruise w bad news about your house?
Good news or bad, I sleep much better than when I'm still wondering.

Edited by jtl513

Are there any cruise ships/lines with better connections? I was just on Royal Princess and it was just as slow. I would think being in the middle if the ocean away from satellites would be standard for most lines. It's pax that can't stand to be disconnected. And when people use up bandwith to stream movies or skype it becomes even hard to get a connection. To say nothing of the poor crew!

It is never the bandwidth of the connection. But the latency of the connection. When you have to bounce a signal from sea level to a geostationary orbit and back, it will take time. About .5 second round trip per packet. Sad to say, it is the big downloads of data that are able to adapt to a high latency connection than other transmissions. I could go into TCP Sliding Windows and other tech mumbo jumbo.

There is a saying, "never underestimate the bandwidth of a Uhaul full of backup tapes." It will be the biggest bandwidth of data transfer you will ever see. But the latency sucks.

Let me be clear. I can take pictures with my phone, keep data turned off, then when in ports (Alaska) turn the data on and I can email and upload pictures to my kids? Just the same as if I was home?

Let me be clear. I can take pictures with my phone, keep data turned off, then when in ports (Alaska) turn the data on and I can email and upload pictures to my kids? Just the same as if I was home?

Yes. Just familiarize yourself with how to toggle data and data roaming on and off before you leave.

Also, when you are in Alaska, you will have a cellular signal much more often than when you are in the middle of the ocean.

DON

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

I dont want to know! I vacation to truly leave it all behind.

Hang Loose :cool:

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!

I dont want to know! I vacation to truly leave it all behind.

Hang Loose :cool:

Very nice to hang loose but we all have responsibilities that don't go away when we are on vacation. Some of us have dependent children, elderly parents, beloved pets, job responsibilities, etc. I chill better if I know all is OK at home.

Very nice to hang loose but we all have responsibilities that don't go away when we are on vacation. Some of us have dependent children, elderly parents, beloved pets, job responsibilities, etc. I chill better if I know all is OK at home.

AGREED! Its part of being an adult.

If something really goes wrong there is the emergency contact number for the ship. It is not as if you can really do anything for a minor crisis. If it is a major they can call the emergency contact number.

I suggest you call your cell phone carrier. I did. AT&T and almost had a heart attack when they told me the rates for using my phone whether text or voice. Even listening to messages. I figure if there is an emergency I can be reached thru the cruise line. I just have to remember to switch to airplane mode. Lol.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk