Southern Gentlemen

cruiser gilly

Just off the Carnival Magic out of Galveston and I must note here, on Cruise Critic, that I have never cruised with a friendlier bunch of people! The men would hold the doors of the elevators for the ladies and wait for them the exit. Doors held for ladies throughout the entire cruise. Nobody in a rush to be "first" anywhere. One vote here for "Southern Charm"! I will cruise from Texas more often!

I'll say thank you...it's a southern thing, but most certainly a Texan thing as well. And if you run across a man who doesn't do this, he certainly is not a native Texan lol.

We are from the Friendly State and I would be ashamed if we behaved any other way.

Manners, chivalry etc. is awesome!

Thanks for taking the time to acknowledge. Nothing aggravates me more than for my son to hold the door open and people walk in and not even say a thank you or a smile. He's a kid. I'm trying to teach him to be polite so I appreciate you acknowledging him.

Being from North Carolina, we thought we knew all about the "southern thing". We absolutely loved our Magic cruise from Galveston and hope to do it again someday. We have never seen more blue jeans and cowboy hats on a cruise and LOVED it!!! We may live in Texas some day - everyone was great!!!! Can't say the same for our LA cruise or the one from Charleston SC.

Being from the Great White North I have always opened and held the door for my wife and anyone that followed. I always acknowledge when someone does the same for us. Good manners do exist up north too :p

Being from the Great White North I have always opened and held the door for my wife and anyone that followed. I always acknowledge when someone does the same for us. Good manners do exist up north too :p

Good mamas produce sons with good manners.

My dad's a Yankee and I've never in my life seen him not hold the door for someone. He's got plenty of manners, even though he's not southern.

I live in the south now and the excessive politeness here often leads to something I call the 'elevator shuffle'. The men stand back and let all the ladies on first, but then when it's time to get off, the ladies are all in the back of the elevator, so the men have to shuffle to let them off first. It's like those little plastic puzzles with one piece missing that you have to get back in the right order.

I once witnessed a man actually step off the elevator to let the women off, then get back *on* and back off again, just so he wasn't getting off ahead of them. It's equal parts hilarious and ridiculous.

My dad's a Yankee and I've never in my life seen him not hold the door for someone. He's got plenty of manners, even though he's not southern.

I live in the south now and the excessive politeness here often leads to something I call the 'elevator shuffle'. The men stand back and let all the ladies on first, but then when it's time to get off, the ladies are all in the back of the elevator, so the men have to shuffle to let them off first. It's like those little plastic puzzles with one piece missing that you have to get back in the right order.

I once witnessed a man actually step off the elevator to let the women off, then get back *on* and back off again, just so he wasn't getting off ahead of them. It's equal parts hilarious and ridiculous.

I was taught that on an elevator, a gentleman get out first so he can "hold" the elevator door to keep it from closing on a lady. He then exits (if it is his floor) or gets back on. Getting on is the same. Put your hand on the door, let the lady in, then you get in.

Counting the seconds until some New Englander makes some snide comment about the stupidity of Texas men and their demeaning of a true independent Womyn by forcing them to be served by the heternormative patriarchal culture!

Thanks to you and the OP for the nice comments about us here in our great state. I am sure Texans are not the only ones who act this way, and no matter who it is, it makes such a difference when you are nice to people, kind of like going to the grocery store and pulling out a basket to offer it to the next lady coming along, puts a smile on both faces..:)

I've been saying this for years!! I live in Los Angeles, and Galveston is my favorite place to sail from, both because it is way closer to LA than Florida, but more so because Texans are THE BEST people to sail with!!!:D

I only wish that Oasis or Allure could fit in Texas!!!:eek:

I only wish that Oasis or Allure could fit in Texas!!!:eek:

It's in the works. In January, the Port of Galveston said it will be investing about $10 million to expand its second cruise terminal, which will help accommodate bigger ships and more passengers. The port also authorized up to $100,000 for Los Angeles-based architecture firm McTigue to develop a design for a third cruise terminal. The Port of Galveston ranks as the fourth busiest cruise port in the U.S.

Tim

We have cruised out of Galveston 3 times, and they were by far the most polite bunch and overall fun to be around! I think it is not only Texas but other Midwestern states. Cruising out of Miami, we have had the worst experiences, it seems as if some, not all foreigners are not nearly as polite and the manners are almost non existent. Again not all, but most.

Kudos to Texas for having good old southern charm, much like here in SW Va, and surrounding areas. I have met many northerners with the same manners and politeness, just not as many.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Counting the seconds until some New Englander makes some snide comment about the stupidity of Texas men and their demeaning of a true independent Womyn by forcing them to be served by the heternormative patriarchal culture!

Now is that a polite thing to say?

We are New Englanders. I've lived here since I was three and husband was born and raised here.

We taught our sons to hold doors for anyone older than them, man or lady. That was usually everyone when they were four and seven years old. They still do so today and they are 26 and 23. I also hold the door for anyone older than me, man or lady, as does hubby. (We are in our 50's so it's not that easy finding folks older than us anymore. :eek:)

I LOVE when a gentleman holds the door open for me. I ALWAYS say thank you, even to my husband every time he opens a door for me.

So not all New Englanders will make snide comments. Some of us are appreciative of good manners.