First solo cruise. Fixed or Anytime dining??

Travelbug 2

I am taking my first solo cruise in June and am wait-listed for fixed early dining (table for 6). I am not sure that is the right move. Maybe anytime would be better. I do not want to feel like the "odd man out" at a table of couples. Any suggestions from other solo cruisers who have experienced this situation?

I intend to enjoy the cruise come what may but want to be comfortable at mealtimes. Any input would be appreciated. :)

I am usually a solo cruiser. I take anytime dining if it is available simply because I want to meet a larger number of folks. Often I have found a couple people I really hit it off with and then we arrange to eat together many evenings. But, when I have been at assigned seating, it has worked out ... I just prefer flexibility.

Susan

I have been a solo cruiser for 16 years now. I always request table of 8 at fixed late. Sometimes it works and other times not so much. It is very easy to get moved and change to any time. Never felt like a 5th wheel. However once I felt very out of place because the 6 other people were all friends of Bill W. so I was the only one drinking wine. I got moved from there PDQ.

If you decide on fixed time dining and you end up w a compatible group, you will be ahead and the fact that you are a single will not matter. If you end up w an incompatible group, you will have to make other arrangements. Most groups are compatible but you will not be able to tell until after the first or 2nd night's dinner.

It is a crapshoot.

DON

I always travel solo and prefer the anytime dining. When dining in the MDR I just ask to be added to the next available shared table. I have met some very nice and interesting people that way. You may not get to know them as well as the people with fixed dining seating, but you do get to meet a larger variety of people, and I have found that most of them to be very friendly, outgoing, and welcoming.

I have been a solo cruiser for 16 years now. I always request table of 8 at fixed late. Sometimes it works and other times not so much. It is very easy to get moved and change to any time. Never felt like a 5th wheel. However once I felt very out of place because the 6 other people were all friends of Bill W. so I was the only one drinking wine. I got moved from there PDQ.

1st who is this Bill W?

OP - I am a first time cruiser, going with a friend who likes fixed dining, so I'm willing to give it a try. If I hate it and she likes it somehow there will be a compromise. I like the idea of anytime because I expect to meet people that I might want to have dinner with....but I will try fixed and change if needed.

I've been solo on HAL twice and both times had good tables in late seating. I think HAL does a good job of matching people up at tables. My second solo HAL cruise was the best table I've had on any cruise, we started out with 8, they moved us to a bigger table and added a couple of more people and we had a great time. In fact, I've gotten together with some of the people from that table over the years.

I have requested a large table for my upcoming cruise, and late seating. The only times I have had a problem with tablemates on HAL is when I've been seated with people during other times like a big tea in the MDR (one man wouldn't stop talking politics even though I refused to engage, it was very uncomfortable, he kept battering me with questions).

I am taking my first solo cruise in June and am wait-listed for fixed early dining (table for 6). I am not sure that is the right move. Maybe anytime would be better. I do not want to feel like the "odd man out" at a table of couples. Any suggestions from other solo cruisers who have experienced this situation?

I intend to enjoy the cruise come what may but want to be comfortable at mealtimes. Any input would be appreciated. :)

FYI, onboard HAL, 'anytime' (dining), is referred to as 'Open Dining'. :) And, in my view, 'Open Dining' is the (only) way to dine, (as long as it's not in the MDR)! :eek:

1st who is this Bill W?

OP - I am a first time cruiser, going with a friend who likes fixed dining, so I'm willing to give it a try. If I hate it and she likes it somehow there will be a compromise. I like the idea of anytime because I expect to meet people that I might want to have dinner with....but I will try fixed and change if needed.

Bill W. is the codeword for the Alcoholic's Anon. group. There is another codeword for the Gay/Lesbian group onboard, as well. Don't feel bad....I was on many cruises before I figured it out!

Bill W. is the codeword for the Alcoholic's Anon. group. There is another codeword for the Gay/Lesbian group onboard, as well. Don't feel bad....I was on many cruises before I figured it out!

On Holland America they come right out and state it as "LGBT Gathering"; however, the codeword you're probably referring to is "Friends of Dorothy".

thanks - there are so many acronyms and special words to a newbie

FYI, onboard HAL, 'anytime' (dining), is referred to as 'Open Dining'. :) And, in my view, 'Open Dining' is the (only) way to dine, (as long as it's not in the MDR)! :eek:

Excuse my ignorance re the "correct phrasing" for alternate dining on HAL. :o

In future I will try to "be correct". Strange other posters did not rail me for that?? :eek:

What is so bad about the MDR? :confused:

Edited by Travelbug 2

Excuse my ignorance re the "correct phrasing" for alternate dining on HAL. :o

In future I will try to "be correct". Strange other posters did not rail me for that?? :eek:

What is so bad about the MDR? :confused:

MDR varies from ship to ship depending on who is in charge. It's never been awful. On some ships it's been terrific.

I do think all that was meant is that if you see that phrase it's the same as "open dining."

Or you can do what I do and call it "any 'dam time dining."

Hi

My last three cruises I have eaten in the MDR and food was excellent. Last cruise I ate in the Pinnacle and the service was horrible and food was terrible. I had to pay for it also. I doubt I will ever eat there again. the food on the Zuiderdam was exceelent to wonderful. As was the service

Mary

I've taken over 10 solo cruises, and have done both fixed and anytime dining. It's been a mixed bag of experiences. Now that I'm an experienced solo cruiser and comfortable with cruising in general, I'm kind of leaning more towards the anytime dining. More flexibility, I meet more people, and if the table is a bunch of boors, I only have to put up with them for an hour or two. :D

Roz