Don't expect the same price change consideration with RCI as with Disney or Carnival

First time cruising on RCI as well, but TOTALLY different experience re: price drops.

We booked 4 cabins together for June, 2014 direct with RCI. Within 2 weeks the 3/4 free was announced. Two cabins were able to get their 3rd person adjusted to FREE - savings totaled over $2,000. The other two cabins were just 2 people, no savings for us. Watched fares right up to final payment, still no discount... Then a week after final, there was a huge price drop on the 2 person cabin rates ... Called RCI at 11 PM, asked if there were any options available, and they cancelled and re-booked in same cabin and - even with the penalties - we saved over $800 on the two cabins, we were happy when we booked, but saving over $2,800 for 10 people has made us all fans of RCI before we've even set foot on the ship.

And, by the way, I lived in Florida for 5 years. There's something called norovirus season - ON LAND - have personally been covered in projectile vomit holding an infected infant on the way to the ER to get him life saving fluids - with no cruise ship in sight. So your comment was completely out of line.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The best deals are booked after final payment date about 90% of the time. We've gotten some great deals by doing this.

@Saroyen80; you are correct, after final payment date you are out of luck on price with RC unless you want to try to upgrade your cabin. I'm sorry your first impression has been bad so far. I hope your cruise is great. My family and I truly love sailing on RC.

:)

Noro comment here. I visit facilities with my certified therapy dog every month. Twice in the last 2 years one of them has been under quarantine with noro--no visitors allowed. Hubby volunteers in the emergency room at a local hospital. Last week he mentioned the board indicated mostly noro symptoms. You have to work in these industries to know it is everywhere.

RCI first timers planning to go on Grandeur out of Baltimore in May.

once you are past final payment, you are locked in. no changes. it's been that way for a while now and quite frankly, has never been an issue for us.

we love GR but you have to understand she is one of the smallest ships int he Fleet and does not have a many bells and whistles. of course that is why she appeals to us so much.

I am the type of person who could care less what someone paid for the same type of cabin. I have a budget and if I am happy paying that price I don't get peeved over a reduction later on, just like I would not get peeved if I got charged a higher price if the cost went up. and on every cruise thus far, that is exactly what has happened, even after FP.

I don't nickel and dime them for every cent of OBC either. I don't NEED $500 in OBC. I am quite happy with half that and to pay the little bit over that on the bill at the end.

I just wanted to add a little non-USA flavour into the mix. If you live in Australia and book with RCI then the T&C says that they WILL NOT do anything or give you any credit if the price drops unless you cancel and rebook. As you lose your deposit well before the final payment date (151 days out and you lose your deposit if you cancel) options for getting making a saving once booked are minimal. I understand that RCI works in the same or similar way for a lot of countries.

On a personal note with all of this I periodically read posts here from people who were willing to pay a particular price for a cruise, booked it and then get further reductions and it all seems so surreal.

I'm in Australia and very oddly for our cruise last February that I booked through a ta I noticed the price had dropped at one point and somehow I received the drop.

I have another cruise for next February booked, this time direct with RCI, and the price has also dropped. Do you think I can get the drop? No way in the world even after five phone calls (if you get an answer you don't want from RCI the first time try again doesn't always work).

I've mentioned the price drop I got last time and no one can explain how it happened.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Forums mobile app

Noro comment here. I visit facilities with my certified therapy dog every month. Twice in the last 2 years one of them has been under quarantine with noro--no visitors allowed. Hubby volunteers in the emergency room at a local hospital. Last week he mentioned the board indicated mostly noro symptoms. You have to work in these industries to know it is everywhere.

I think it was a lot less scarey when we called it "the stomach flu" :)

I'm in Australia and very oddly for our cruise last February that I booked through a ta I noticed the price had dropped at one point and somehow I received the drop.

I have another cruise for next February booked, this time direct with RCI, and the price has also dropped. Do you think I can get the drop? No way in the world even after five phone calls (if you get an answer you don't want from RCI the first time try again doesn't always work).

I've mentioned the price drop I got last time and no one can explain how it happened.

For bookings made in Australia the RCI terms and conditions state that you will not be compensated for any price drops after booking but in some cases they may, when prodded, make an exception.

On a different topic I was actually on the Radiance for the cruise immediately before yours in February.

For bookings made in Australia the RCI terms and conditions state that you will not be compensated for any price drops after booking but in some cases they may, when prodded, make an exception.

On a different topic I was actually on the Radiance for the cruise immediately before yours in February.

You left it ship shape for us! Thank you very much.

I have to respond to this. I was supposed to be on the Disney Dream last week of August 2014 - booked January 2013. Six months later they chartered our ship and would not give us the same price for any other week in the summer no matter who we talked and who got involved - would only give us another week in September :mad: . I eventually told Disney where to go.

I am currently sailing on the Freedom the same week - it is a total of $800 more than the Dream but three days longer (there is four of us) and we would have spent twice that in the Park (it was going to be a land/sea vacation).

I can't wait till my week on the Freedom.

I'm not that familiar with RCCL, but as for upgrades, Carnival and Pricess do a good job of that, or have for me. I do book through a TA, but this time, there is NO upgrade. :( I was to get an OBC for bringing a friend on the ship, that had never cruised on RCCL. It seemed like forever, just trying to get an answer from my TA, or RCCL, for a measly $25. You would think I was robbing RCCL bank, after what we had to pay for our rooms. I know Carnival and Princess are much cheaper, so hopefully this cruise will pay off for what was paid.

Due to my naivety I had no idea about price drops until last December when I booked a short cruise in October and then shortly afterwards, a short cruise in May.

Like Lobstertan mentioned usually in the UK they do not offer price drops at all.

However, I have been one of the lucky few....

When I booked my inside cabin for a 4 night cruise on the Adventure I paid £1,100. Then AFTER FINAL PAYMENT I noticed that they were selling outside cabins for £600 and balcony cabins for £900. I called the upgrade fairy (Crown and Anchor) and simply, but politely, asked if there was anything she could do.

She kept going away and coming back and eventually she started mentioning lots of figures for either a balcony I could choose myself or for the guarantee balcony. I asked what the difference was and she simply said that the guarantee balcony was cheaper. As I was in no way expecting OBC or a refund, I asked what difference that made and was going to obviosuely choose the category that would allow me to choose my own cabin....but then the lady said that it would affect the amount refunded.

So I ended up being upgraded from an inside cabin to a guarantee balcony AND got nearly £200 refunded back to my card.

Shocked did not even cover how I felt, but you can imagine my amazement when I logged onto Crown and Anchor and saw that my balcony had been assigned and I have a HUGE aft balcony :eek:

So it can happen, however I do understand that this is not going to happen on every cruise and that I was very lucky :) Had I of been told that there was nothing they could do, I would still have been a little un happy that even balconies were being charged a huge amount less than my inside cabin....however this is how RCI make their money. I just can't wait until I have the luxury of flexibility and ability to book at short notice!!!

I have recently been promoted and did not want to take the same risk, so called and upgraded my aft balcony on the Independence in Oct to a Junior Suite aft balcony as a treat for my family (kids first cruise!).....and I am certain I won't get a call from the upgrade fairy!

RCI first timers planning to go on Grandeur out of Baltimore in May.

The prices for a room can fluctuate wildly, we understand that. But we have never gotten such staunch refusal of consideration of this from any other cruise line. Disney and Carnival bend over backwards to offer upgrades and credits to ensure you enjoy your stay without thinking of what you might have lost or saved. We had several hundreds of dollars in credits on our Disney honeymoon cruise because of price fluctuations and being sharp enough to catch them. We had excursions thrown in on Carnival. Nothing from RCI after a few calls. Can't do anything, sorry.

Definitely a bad first impression, at least to us. So the lesson to all of you other cost conscious cruisers out there, book late nothing outside of a month before or only when there are last minute sales with RCI or you might be sorry missing out on $500+ and still having to pay for the soft drink machine (and possibly getting Noro out of the whole mess. ok, low blow but I'm still a bit tweaked). OR book when you think the deal is good and never check again.

I've never tried a cruise agent but I've heard you need one for the good deals. What's your opinion value cruisers?

As others have said, as long as you are outside final payment, you can usually get price drops. I say usually because sometimes the price may be a very special price that allows no other discounts. On my upcoming Celebrity cruise (sister of Royal) my cabin dropped over $700 pp from when I first booked, and I was also able to pick up the 1-2-3 deal of the included drink package.

For the last week they had Cabins above mine for Several hundred less than what I paid. Even if I could have changed, I would have lost my drink package and Captains Club discount. Now those rooms have doubled in price again.

Overall, I am happy with the price I paid and what I got for that price.

As others have said, as long as you are outside final payment, you can usually get price drops. I say usually because sometimes the price may be a very special price that allows no other discounts. On my upcoming Celebrity cruise (sister of Royal) my cabin dropped over $700 pp from when I first booked, and I was also able to pick up the 1-2-3 deal of the included drink package.

For the last week they had Cabins above mine for Several hundred less than what I paid. Even if I could have changed, I would have lost my drink package and Captains Club discount. Now those rooms have doubled in price again.

Overall, I am happy with the price I paid and what I got for that price.

Was your Captain's Club discount something that was offered as a special deal or is it always available? We are sailing on the Jewel in a little over a week and I hope to book a Celebrity cruise while onboard. As RCI Diamonds I understand we would be Elite with Celebrity, but not sure about the discounts offered, if any.

Then AFTER FINAL PAYMENT I noticed that they were selling outside cabins for £600 and balcony cabins for £900. I called the upgrade fairy (Crown and Anchor) and simply, but politely, asked if there was anything she could do.

The magic words that a lot of individuals seem to lack... simply, and politely, asked if there was anything..... Amazing what a little honey in your voice can accomplish. Awesome it worked out for you!

I retired from a Service Industry, and the nice people easily got the perks, the jerks.. well not so much, or it took them a long time to get their satisfaction.

Edited by Valiamo

Before I got married I would book after final payment and would usually get a pretty decent price. Since getting married, my wife does not want to have a room under the pool where you get a lot of noise, or under the galley where she hears the banging of the food carts. She also does not want obstructed views or extreme bow of the ship. She also does not want a 1A room (or whatever it is) where there are bunk beds.

Now we cannot wait till the last minute because she wants a "good" room, not the leftovers. That is also why we do not book guarantee rooms. But you can roll the dice.

My wife is too picky to take a sub par room.

I've had 4 hours sleep in 36 hours so I literally don't have the energ to read the entire thread so maybe this will have been mentioned/explained already.

After final payment, there are no more price adjustments, credits, whatever. If, however, you find a cabin in higher category has dropped below what you paid for your cabin, you can move into that cabin with no changes/fees. You won't get a price difference credit, but you'll be in a better cabin. I know this for an absolute fact.

As it turns out, I am on Grandeur sailing out of Baltimore in May. It was a last minute change (due to a re-scheduled wedding) and we wound up with an Oceanview (which we can fit in). A month or so (pre-final payment), I saw a better Oceanview location open up and switched. About a week after final payment, there was a drop in balcony prices to the point where the balconiews were $75pp less than the Oceanview. Gave RCCL a call, got moved to the balcony. 2 days later, saw a hugely better balcony (same class...D1) location open up. Switched with no issue.

And, THEN (and this was a huge shock), yesterday I got an email that we had been upgraded to a JS....this was purely the upgrade gods and nothing to do with the OP's post except that the railing against the unfair practice of RCCL was proven wrong both factually and karmicly. :rolleyes: