What is Dynamic Dining?

Only if "they" choose not to dine in one of the four (or five) complimentary dining venues, which is actually an improvement over your options on the other ships in the fleet which only offers on main dining room with a set menu which, while it changes nightly, also has a limited number of menu items. With Dynamic Dining it seems to me that you will actually have more menu choices not fewer. As most anyone can also attest, my time dining, unlike NCL's freestyle dining, doesn't include beepers or lengthy waits as part of their modus operandi, so comparing DD to Freestyle is really an unfair comparison. If you prefer traditional dining, there is nothing to prevent you from deciding to dine at the same time each evening, essentialy replicating what traditional dining offers.

The current MTD often doesn't have long waits for tables because it is capacity controlled and presumably some forethought has gone into the logistics. DD will be VERY much like Freestyle because everyone on the ship will be free to eat whenever and whereever they choose - impossible to accurately predict and/or control demand. There will be no way to avoid wait times and beepers for popular venues during peak-demand times. DD is essentially a carbon-copy of Freestyle Dining - how could it possibly be considered anything else?

Edited by ronandannette

. . . Actually the 5th one you refer to is for GS and higher. :) . . . .

The website information says JS and above. Personally, I do not like this aspect of the dynamic dining concept. I can see giving the suite guests a credit at specialty venues or something like that but to shut out us unwashed masses from a dining venue I don't like.

This is a concept in progress. I am relatively certain there will be some tweaking as things progress. What do you want to bet that:

!. The wait staff will be able and willing get you something from another complimentary venue; and/or,

2. There will be standard items available at every venue just like there are certain standard items available every day in the MDR.

With all due respect to those who disagree, on a "big deal," "little deal" or "no deal" scale, this is maybe somewhere between little deal and no deal. I understand it is different and will take some getting used to. I also can see it will make things a bit more awkward for the solo travelers. But if the majority of travelers who book the ships don't like it, I am sure it will die a quick death.

Edited by mjldvlks

The current MTD often doesn't have long waits for tables because it is capacity controlled and presumably some forethought has gone into the logistics. DD will be VERY much like Freestyle because everyone on the ship will be free to eat whenever and whereever they choose - impossible to accurately predict and/or control demand. There will be no way to avoid wait times and beepers for popular venues during peak-demand times. DD is essentially a carbon-copy of Freestyle Dining - how could it possibly be considered anything else?

They will control capacity and demand because you still have to make a reservation for each night. They are seating in 15 minute increments...you can change your reservation once you board and during the cruise. I will be very pissed if I show up at 6:25 for my 6:30 reservation and the guy that just walked up and got in line ahead of me gets the last seat. Yes, I was pre-selected to book, everyone else can start booking May 15, and yes, they are saving time slots for those who have to wait until May 15 or who wait until they board.

Great point!

The website information says JS and above. Personally, I do not like this aspect of the dynamic dining concept. I can see giving the suite guests a credit at specialty venues or something like that but to shut out us unwashed masses from a dining venue I don't like.

The PDF I have only says it is for suites, which I interpreted as GS and higher, consistent with the other suite benefits typical with RCI. Certainly you may be correct and my understanding wrong - I appreciate you pointing out your information as I was not aware of that.

I guess their thinking may be similar to the concept of the Concierge Lounge in creating a select venue for the suite guests.

As I read these response I see a one thing -

"The world is ending" mentality I see from some people is the exact same thing that was said when MTD was rolled out fleet wide. While some people don't like it, the world clearly hasn't ended.

I personally want to see how it works before I make an opinion, however there are several people that are in the "world is ending" thinking. I have faith that Royal has done their homework on this, and after working out a few kinks DD will be a success just like MTD is today.

I personally want to see how it works before I make an opinion, .

That would be the logical thing to do!

Same type mentality seen here when Oasis was built. Bunch of people whining over something they have never even tried :rolleyes: LOL! Got to love Cruise Critic! :o The place where you can critique stuff not even in existance yet! :p

"The world is ending" mentality I see from some people is the exact same thing that was said when MTD was rolled out fleet wide. While some people don't like it, the world clearly hasn't ended.

I personally want to see how it works before I make an opinion, however there are several people that are in the "world is ending" thinking. I have faith that Royal has done their homework on this, and after working out a few kinks DD will be a success just like MTD is today.

While i certainly don't think the world is coming to an end, I do see a difference between this and when MTD was rolled out. This is completely getting rid of the MDR all together, not just adding another option to it. I personally just really enjoy the idea of the same tablemates and same waitstaff each night. Its not about eating at the exact same time each night, its about the experience of dining with new people (more than one night so you really have the opportunity to really get to know them). I'm not a very outgoing person and so it forces me (in a good way :) ) to branch out and meet people. That being said, the world will go on :p

I am probably one of the ones you feel has "world is ending" thinking. While it is not the case, I do not like the idea for a few reasons;

1) By far the most important...one of the things we like about cruising the most is the MDR concept. We absolutely love getting to know the people with whom we share a table and having the same wait staff every night.

2) No matter how the suits at RCI try to spin it, this approach makes getting to know people at dinner impossible. The only way that can happen is to have booking linked (which means I know them already) or convince them to join me in scrambling for reservations once we board.

3) If I do not take time to make reservations in advance I have absolutely no chance of eating at the same time each night. While that may seem like nothing to you it is something we like (see #1 above). Additionally, unless you happen to book at the very first opportunity you may have dining times all over the time spectrum because others beat you to the reservation process.

4) The hit-and-miss probability of dining times will probably (though this is not definite) mean getting to shows may be difficult. I can easily see that forcing people to each much earlier or later than they would like.

The positive in this is that, at least for now, I can avoid the ships that have Dynamic (Dollar-sign) Dining. If it is rolled out fleet wide (and I think it will the next time the ships go in for revitalizaiton) I will either decide to put up with it, change lines or take different vacations.

Edited by TC1957

Believe me, I am all in favor of maximizing profits. Just be honest and say that is what you are doing. There is no need to spin it and say "we are trying to enhance the dining experience." I think everyone who cruises understands the lines must make money. They are just trying to find a way to get more passengers to pay extra so they can move from 2.5-3 star dining (5 point scale) to 3-3.5 dining...maybe, if you're lucky. I hope it works so they can hold the line on prices for the smaller ships. I can always avoid the ships that have Dollar-sign Dining.

What would you have them say? "In order to maximize profits, we now offer Dynamic Dining." :D:D:D

I like the concept of Dynamic Dining. We were talking to my dad and his girlfriend and my aunt and uncle this weekend. All are seasoned cruisers, and all are ADAMANT that they will not pay for specialty dining. DH and I have on every cruise we have been on where it has been available to us. Why? because we like the smaller venue and don't mind paying for better food and service (which is subjective anyway)

While I have no plans to sail Quantum or Anthem anytime soon, Dynamic Dining would not be the reason I didn't sail them. It would probably be one of the reasons I actually would.

Just my 2 cents.:cool:

You and others had better be prepared to pay the cost for these first sailings...........it will probably be worth it for many as was the same cost on the Oasis when it first sailed..and the crew was relatively new and untrained.

That statement could not be more wrong. We sailed on the Oasis inaugural and found the service to be outstanding. It seemed very clear to us that Royal had likely handpicked the cream of the crop for many positions.

Dynamic dining takes the traditional dining room and divides it into several Chinese restaurants.

Several Chinese restaurants? No. Silk has a pan-Asian menu, the others have their own unique offerings. Here and there you might find a lone Asian style item in one of the others, but it is most certainly NOT "several Chinese restaurants."

With Dynamic Dining... you also will not have the opportunity to get to know new dining companions over the course of the cruise, and possibly build new friendships or at the least expand your horizons and have someone different to share your day's adventures with... one of the unique features of cruising

Wrong. When I called to make our reservations a few days ago for our party of 4, I was specifically asked if we wanted to be seated with other people we were not traveling with, or have a four-top just to ourselves.

Actually the 5th one you refer to is for GS and higher. :)

Also wrong. It states explicitly that it is complimentary for guests in Junior suites and above. :)

Believe me, I am all in favor of maximizing profits. Just be honest and say that is what you are doing. There is no need to spin it and say "we are trying to enhance the dining experience."

Wow, it would seem Royal just can't win. Add some specialty restaurants for an added fee, and people on these boards gripe and gripe because "it's just not fair that if I want to dine in some different restaurants I have to pay a fee, OMG that just isn't fair." So in trying to find some sort of happy medium, Royal rolls our Dynamic Dining. Now EVERYONE can choose from multiple restaurants without paying an added fee, and people just want to gripe about how the choices are too limited. Really??

And the formal restaurants are killing me. Until very recently, the boards were full of thread after thread where people complained because too many other people just didn't bother to dress up, their dining experience was ruined because someone 3 tables over dared to wear jeans, and so on. So now they introduce ONE restaurant to be formal all the time, thus giving people the opportunity to dress up OR NOT however many nights they choose and what do people do? Whine and complain because how dare Royal insist that you dress up to eat there. Geez....

"The world is ending" mentality

Yep. The world is ending and the sky is falling LOL

Wrong. When I called to make our reservations a few days ago for our party of 4, I was specifically asked if we wanted to be seated with other people we were not traveling with, or have a four-top just to ourselves.

It's not the same. If you requested this option (sitting with other people you are not traveling with), what are the chances you'd be seated with the same "other people" every night, as you would be with the current method?

Edited by time4u2go

It's not the same. If you requested this option (sitting with other people you are not traveling with), what are the chances you'd be seated with the same "other people" every night, as you would be with the current method?

Chances are quite good, if you all enjoyed each others company and asked to be seated together every night from that night on. The staff seems to go out of their way to please their guests and honor their requests. Why do you think otherwise?

We are looking forward to being able to sit alone, but if one does find new people that you become closer with, there is always the opportunity to coordinate schedules and change your reservations to dine again, even coordinating the attending of entertainment and shows. Thus being able to forge stronger friendships than a regular meeting at a specific time, and actually doing more together than just talking about your grandson or cats between courses, but actually doing things together. I am tired of table mates wanting to be your "friend" and out side of the dining room barely recognize you, and never reply to emails or hellos back on land. it was all just small talk to be polite and waste time while waiting for food. I would want to meet real people who actually want to be friends.

And DD isn't capacity controlled and they haven't given some forethought into the logistics?:confused: Seems you are making some serious assumptions that aren't based on any specific evidence. Taking reservations should take some of the uncertainty out of the equation and just as a good restaurant pretty much knows from experience which menu items will be the most frequently ordered, experience should allow them to pretty much forecast the demand that each venue will draw. If it works fairly well with today's specialty restaurants, it should transfer to the DD venues in a similar manner.

Instead of predicting that the system will fail, perhaps everyone should wait a few months and see how things actually work out.

Chances are quite good, if you all enjoyed each others company and asked to be seated together every night from that night on. The staff seems to go out of their way to please their guests and honor their requests. Why do you think otherwise?

I think otherwise because it's a totally different system, with a totally different selection of eating venues.

Think of it this way. With the current system, all one has to do is choose a dining time and a table size, and more than likely, you'll be seated with other people, if that's what you want. And you will most likely dine with those same people every night, or nearly every night.

With the new system, how would you do that? Assuming you are seated with other people the first night as per your request, what do you then do about the second night? If neither your group nor the other people want to pay for an extra-charge restaurant, then you would choose from one of the included restaurants. But then are you able to make a reservation (are there any left at your preferred time)? Do you just show up and hope to get in in a reasonable amount of time? Maybe all these things work out, but it just seems to add a level of complication to what has been a very simple system.

We are looking forward to being able to sit alone, but if one does find new people that you become closer with, there is always the opportunity to coordinate schedules and change your reservations to dine again, even coordinating the attending of entertainment and shows. Thus being able to forge stronger friendships than a regular meeting at a specific time, and actually doing more together than just talking about your grandson or cats between courses, but actually doing things together. I am tired of table mates wanting to be your "friend" and out side of the dining room barely recognize you, and never reply to emails or hellos back on land. it was all just small talk to be polite and waste time while waiting for food. I would want to meet real people who actually want to be friends.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to have to coordinate schedules and change my reservations just to eat with the same people every night. I guess I want things to be simple on a cruise.

I am with those who do not look forward to this concept. I like getting to really know tables mates and not having to go over the same stuff every night....where are you from, what do you do....you get to really know someone when you eat with them multiple nights and we have made lifelong friends this way.

I also like formal nights universally..weird I know, but I like seeing a ship full of really nicely dressed passengers. And I agree that eating off the same few menus might be a bore...unless you chose to pay the up charges for other restaurants.

Mostly, I think this will be a big old hassle! On NCL, it was a huge pain to try to get reservations at the correct time to see shows etc....if you did it ahead, you couldn't see the daily planner to schedule properly. If you wait until onboard, we got stuck with 6:00 pm (way too early for us) or 9:30 /10:00.

In fact, I just went online to book specialty restaurants for our upcoming July cruise. Believe it or not, I had a hard time finding days where 8:30 pm was open! Many days, Chops and Giovanni's were already booked at 8:30 .... Over 2 months out. On our last cruise (albeit Celebrity) we waited to book specialty restaurants until onboard. They were sold out by 2:00 pm day of embarkation....we finally got one reservation, last day of cruise, 9:30 pm. We missed the rest of the specialty restaurants.

I just think popular times at the free non-formal venues will book incredibly fast and (like booking a Disney Princess breakfast) you will need to literally be online at midnight the day they open up to get a normal dining time....or enjoy the windjammer!! Of course, time will tell!!

We are looking forward to being able to sit alone, but if one does find new people that you become closer with, there is always the opportunity to coordinate schedules and change your reservations to dine again, even coordinating the attending of entertainment and shows. Thus being able to forge stronger friendships than a regular meeting at a specific time ... I would want to meet real people who actually want to be friends.

You make a really good point! I have done this on most of my cruises over the past few years. I meet people on a cruise and invite them to dine with me. In all cases we continue to keep up on land.

I don't mind having strictly tablemates. I find it nice to catch up with people towards the end of the day. But the real friendships come from those I meet and want to spend time with.

And coordinating schedules is easy. Just walk to the Maitre d' and tell them you'd like to dine together. Or give your new friends your name and cabin number and have them call the restaurant. Let's not make this into a big deal.

Wow, it would seem Royal just can't win. Add some specialty restaurants for an added fee, and people on these boards gripe and gripe because "it's just not fair that if I want to dine in some different restaurants I have to pay a fee, OMG that just isn't fair." So in trying to find some sort of happy medium, Royal rolls our Dynamic Dining. Now EVERYONE can choose from multiple restaurants without paying an added fee, and people just want to gripe about how the choices are too limited. Really??

You didn't see me complain about the specialty restaurants. I have no objection to them, in fact we have OBC on our upcoming cruise and if the spousal unit decides not to visit the spa we will probably use the credit at Chops. I won't spend MY money there, but since the OBC is free money and can only be used on the ship it cost me nothing.

But like I said...I'll just avoid ships with this concept.

And in response to the question would I prefer RCI just say that they are rolling it out in an effort to maximize profits...yes, I would. Recently Steve Nash was asked if he was considering retirement becuase of injuries. He said no and gave two reasons...he thinks he can still contribute to a championship team and "I have $10 million guaranteed coming next year". You know what, nobody blinked. For the most part people prefer honesty over spin.