What is Dynamic Dining?

You do understand that the Quantum of the Seas will be based in Shanghai China? A bit of a trip to "try it out" I think...............the airfare will be a tad of a problem I think for most people like me and wife

It is just on the Quantum Class. I am excited to try it.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/quantumoftheseas/dining/

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

You do understand that the Quantum of the Seas will be based in Shanghai China? A bit of a trip to "try it out" I think...............the airfare will be a tad of a problem I think for most people like me and wife

And you do understand that it will be sailing from Bayonne, NJ, first!

And you do understand that it will be sailing from Bayonne, NJ, first!

Touche...............yes...........you are correct.

You and others had better be prepared to pay the cost for these first sailings...........it will probably be worth it for many as was the same cost on the Oasis when it first sailed..and the crew was relatively new and untrained. Wonderful 8 day itinerary too.................but then again the ship will really be the attraction so who cares where it goes, right?

Edited by OBX-Cruisers

...and to add, the MDR as a single large dining room will not exist, but will be replaced by four smaller dining rooms, each with a different menu. These will be American Icon Grill, Chic, The Grande, and Silk. They will in essence together be the MDR on Quantum / Anthem, and will remain as such at no charge.

What is going away is the fixed early / late seating times with an expanded full restaurant venue MTD, which will be known as Dynamic Dining.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

RCCL will have Dining Their Way. Not having an MDR that can accomodate large numbers of passengers means you hope to sail with people who like to dine early or late.

When I've sailed NCL with a medium sized MDR lots of people want a table for 2,you are handed a pager until it is available. It's usually a 10-15 min wait,not awful but so much easier to have no wait time with a larger room.

The charge for food restaurants have reservations, making your wait time minimal. Really attractive benefit.

I wonder if passengers were polled to see if no MDR was an attractive option for most people?

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the MDR with fixed seating times. I want to sit with the same people and have the same waitstaff for the week. I think that is part of the fun of cruising and I hope they don't do away with it on the older ships :(

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I love the MDR with fixed seating times. I want to sit with the same people and have the same waitstaff for the week. I think that is part of the fun of cruising and I hope they don't do away with it on the older ships :(

According to Adam Goldstein in his recent web discussion, the Dynamic Dining will be limited to Quantum and Anthem to fully evaluate and manage the program before any consideration for other ships is planned. And it would be most likely that if other ships are to be included, it would start with new builds (additional Oasis / Quantum). He indicated there are no plans at this time to roll it out fleet wide as there are issues is with the number of alternative restaurants and current large room configuration for the MDR on other ships.

With Dynamic Dining, while you may not be able to assure having the same wait staff, you can always elect to eat at the same time and the same dining rooms each night. The variety of venues - about 1/2 of which will still be at n/c - just provides options.

With Dynamic Dining, while you may not be able to assure having the same wait staff, you can always elect to eat at the same time and the same dining rooms each night. The variety of venues - about 1/2 of which will still be at n/c - just provides options.

-and you also will not have the opportunity to get to know new dining companions over the course of the cruise, and possibly build new friendships or at the least expand your horizons and have someone different to share your day's adventures with... one of the unique features of cruising

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

...and to add, the MDR as a single large dining room will not exist, but will be replaced by four smaller dining rooms, each with a different menu. These will be American Icon Grill, Chic, The Grande, and Silk. They will in essence together be the MDR on Quantum / Anthem, and will remain as such at no charge.

From what I understand, If you choose to dine in only the complimentary "dining rooms" the menus in each of them (although they differ in type and style of food) are static and do not change. If you are on a cruise of any length having only four menus to select from, unless you pay for specialty restaurants, might become tiresome.

Although I am excited to be on an upcoming Quantum cruise in February 2015, I am a little skeptical as to how it will all work out during our 11 night cruise?

bosco

Question what is dynamic dining?

ANSWER MAKE THEM PAY FOR DINER DINING. :) :) :D

Exactly...just a money grab. Either you wait at the FOUR replacement venues (because the fifth is only for JS or higher cabins), waste your time making reservations or pay extra. Also keep in mind that unless you want to "dress" for a "formal" dinner many times you really only have three options from the venues replacing the MDR.

From what I understand, If you choose to dine in only the complimentary "dining rooms" the menus in each of them (although they differ in type and style of food) are static and do not change. If you are on a cruise of any length having only four menus to select from, unless you pay for specialty restaurants, might become tiresome.

Although I am excited to be on an upcoming Quantum cruise in February 2015, I am a little skeptical as to how it will all work out during our 11 night cruise?

bosco

True, but - again per AG - each of the four restaurants will have an expanded menu with more choices than the current MDR menu.

Exactly...just a money grab. Either you wait at the FOUR replacement venues (because the fifth is only for JS or higher cabins), waste your time making reservations or pay extra. Also keep in mind that unless you want to "dress" for a "formal" dinner many times you really only have three options from the venues replacing the MDR.

Actually the 5th one you refer to is for GS and higher. :) And although many of the others are Windjammer, Sorento's, Park cafe, etc., out of the 18 total venues on board, I believe 10 total are n/c. And you are also correct about the one replacement dining room being formal each night.

-and you also will not have the opportunity to get to know new dining companions over the course of the cruise, and possibly build new friendships or at the least expand your horizons and have someone different to share your day's adventures with... one of the unique features of cruising

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Good point, but that too was addressed in the web discussion. They will take - and will work with you - on group reservations so that if there are others you want to dine with throughout the week they will put you together at a table in each selected venue. I think 12 was mentioned as the group amount.

It certainly won't be for everyone and will only be on Quantum and Anthem - at least for the forseeable future. Just have to wait and see how it all works out.

Question what is dynamic dining?

ANSWER MAKE THEM PAY FOR DINER DINING. :) :) :D

Only if "they" choose not to dine in one of the four (or five) complimentary dining venues, which is actually an improvement over your options on the other ships in the fleet which only offers on main dining room with a set menu which, while it changes nightly, also has a limited number of menu items. With Dynamic Dining it seems to me that you will actually have more menu choices not fewer. As most anyone can also attest, my time dining, unlike NCL's freestyle dining, doesn't include beepers or lengthy waits as part of their modus operandi, so comparing DD to Freestyle is really an unfair comparison. If you prefer traditional dining, there is nothing to prevent you from deciding to dine at the same time each evening, essentialy replicating what traditional dining offers.

A "for profit " company trying to maximize profits -- what a novel concept.

I guess I'll wait and see how it works and decide if I want to pay for the product or not.

I guess I'll wait and see how it works and decide if I want to pay for the product or not.

Believe me, I am all in favor of maximizing profits. Just be honest and say that is what you are doing. There is no need to spin it and say "we are trying to enhance the dining experience." I think everyone who cruises understands the lines must make money. They are just trying to find a way to get more passengers to pay extra so they can move from 2.5-3 star dining (5 point scale) to 3-3.5 dining...maybe, if you're lucky. I hope it works so they can hold the line on prices for the smaller ships. I can always avoid the ships that have Dollar-sign Dining.

I would recommend those who are concerned about static menus look at the menus for each of the four (or five) new restaurants available on the RCI website. Not only do they look enticing (my opinion of course) but there is a large variety in each menu which should allow a diverse enough experience for anyone over the span of a cruise.

Believe me, I am all in favor of maximizing profits. Just be honest and say that is what you are doing. There is no need to spin it and say "we are trying to enhance the dining experience." I think everyone who cruises understands the lines must make money. They are just trying to find a way to get more passengers to pay extra so they can move from 2.5-3 star dining (5 point scale) to 3-3.5 dining...maybe, if you're lucky. I hope it works so they can hold the line on prices for the smaller ships. I can always avoid the ships that have Dollar-sign Dining.

I think even the small ships have specialty venues now. I know that Splendour [smallest in the fleet] does.

You are making an assumption that the only motive behind "dynamic dining" is to push passengers to the specialties. Personally, while I have know way of knowing, I doubt that. Non-traditional dining is becoming pretty common in the industry. But even if it is true, I don't see how calling an effort to enhance the dining experience is any more or less "honest" than any advertising. The cruise line's motive is to maximize profits. With that in mind, the first hurdle is to get folks to book. It seems to me that the primary, included, dining options are essential to that objective. Once they are on board they can worry about spending money. Bottom line is cruises are one of the more efficient markets I know of. Just looking at how fare pricing varies in response to the ability to fully book a ship proves that point. If the market rejects any innovation, it will disappear soon enough. So don't blame the cruise line, blame the poor schlubs who buy the product and keep the ship full even with the innovations you don't like.

Wanting to pay for the product or not as you mention is the key as it remains your choice. RCI has increased the no charge options and menu selections with Quantum / Anthem with the new dining room choices as well as added other no charge venues.

They also have added surcharge options and menu selections as well, but they remain just that - options. IMO, with 10 of the 18 venues on board at no charge, the dining experiences included in the fare have been enhanced. And for those who want the option of surcharge restaurants, those have been enhanced as well.

The only real "cultural" change is with the elimination of the early / late fixed seating options. But you can still reserve those times as your choice at whatever venue you choose.

Here's my take on the five complimentary main restaurants: American Icon Grill, Chic, Silk, The Grande, and Coastal Kitchen. Working backwards, the “Coastal Kitchen is ... exclusive to suite guests.” Now we’re down to only four main restaurants for the rest of us.

Next, The Grande dress is Formal. Not sure what will be enforced as “Formal”. For me, it’s a nice black collared shirt with black pants. If a suit, jacket, or tux is required for men, then this is another complimentary restaurant I won’t be able to eat in.

Nothing against Asia, the Silk menu just does not appeal to me. While I’m at it, the Chic menu also doesn’t appeal to me.

Now I’m left with only the American Icon Grill. Not too crazy about the appetizers, but there’s one or two I would order. There are three entrees I would look forward to, but one of them is the Americana Burger, something I’d rather have for lunch. As for dessert, the Warm Skillet Cookie and a couple others I can’t wait to taste. This restaurant would be great if it were in addition to the MDR, but not to replace it outright.

As someone who usually sails solo, Dynamic Dining isn’t going to work for me as Tradition Dining works better. Traditional Dining is a great way to meet people, and it’s one of the things I look forward to on a cruise as I don’t get that from a land based trip.

And the reason for eliminating the MDR, to get more people to eat in the extra $$$ restaurants. Without the home base of an assigned table and time with tablemates and a different menu each night, Royal Caribbean is banking on more people spending extra to get a varied menu and dining experience as the complimentary dining venues will have the same menu each night.

The extra $$$ Specialty Restaurant menus don't impress me, so I hope they don't expand the Dynamic Dining concept fleetwide as Royal Caribbean has a history of doing that with some of their past concepts that get tried on a select ship or two first.

Edited by TM38Rob
Specialty Restaurants don't impress me