Passports or birth certificates?

jdragr

I had my marriage license fedex overnight. Good to go!

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

You do know that now that you went to all that trouble to get it, no one will ask for it! But if you didn't have it .... Well you know the story ;)

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, of course. A passport trumps all other kinds of ID. :) However, there are many, many threads here with people who, for whatever reason - usually financial - do not choose to get a passport and do travel successfully. Would I do it? No way. Would you? Doesn't appear so. But we can only guide someone and give our best advice, right?

The threads I like are ones like this one (the first part of it) where OP comes back and says, YES we're getting passports (post #38). Hurray! The entire big, beautiful world just opened up to them. :)

The threads that I like are where people make an informed decision after considering all of their options and their own travel needs. I personally don't care what travel documentation someone chooses to use because it doesn't affect me one bit.

I had my marriage license fedex overnight. Good to go!

Sent from my SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

When we sailed on the Pride the check in person asked if we had our marriage license but didn't want to see it and said that if we had said no it wouldn't have impacted anything. We've always brought it and never needed it. This time out we are using Enhanced Driver's Licenses so there's no need to bring it.

The threads that I like are where people make an informed decision after considering all of their options and their own travel needs...

Well yes, I maintain this is one of those threads, as I mentioned. OP took the advice given and is getting passports for the fam. :)

Well yes, I maintain this is one of those threads, as I mentioned. OP took the advice given and is getting passports for the fam. :)

And it would still be one of those threads if they had decided to use an alternative form of travel documentation.

Three pages on this thread alone plus all the many other previous threads regarding identification - all with different interpretations about what is needed and/or what may work and how that changes based on emergencies, marital status, citizenship, itinerary, etc. At the bottom line, only one document works for all circumstances: a passport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Though this topic has been done to death, I'm going to use the opportunity of receiving our most recent upcoming cruise docs to drive home the point that, no matter what you read here (even when the posting person quotes valid government regulations and the practices of the cruise line they frequent), you may be SOL without a passport in YOUR particular case.

"........ (cruise line) requires all travelers to have a valid passport. All itineraries require that passports are valid for (6) months beyond the completion of your travel."

And what Cruiseline and itinerary is this for???

It would be very helpful to put your comment in context....

I personally would never travel without a passport.

Edited by nana541

Please reread the quote: "ALL itineraries." Cruise line is not a "mass market" line but does do some similar mass market itineraries including Caribbean and Alaska. Some quick research will find multiple cruise lines with this same requirement.

Sorry for the mystery about which line I'm quoting. But I try to limit broadcasting specifics about my travel plans until after it's done. I'm sure your TA could supply the names.

It would be very helpful to put your comment in context....

I personally would never travel without a passport.

It's always important to check your cruise line's requirements as they may be stringent than government regulations.To give you two examples (and there are others) Regent Seven Seas and Azamara require passports for all itineraries, even closed loop Western Hemisphere cruises where government regulations permit US citizens to use other documentation, such as a birth certificate and drivers license.

Edited by njhorseman

Please reread the quote: "ALL itineraries." Cruise line is not a "mass market" line but does do some similar mass market itineraries including Caribbean and Alaska. Some quick research will find multiple cruise lines with this same requirement.

Sorry for the mystery about which line I'm quoting. But I try to limit broadcasting specifics about my travel plans until after it's done. I'm sure your TA could supply the names.

Why the mystery? Knowing the line and itinerary (not the date) really helps put especially a "closed loop" cruise into this conversation where it belongs.

I don't know who you are, nor do I care... It does not help a new cruiser one bit to quote a "vague" reference to a cruise some where on some ship.

JMHO

Edited by nana541

It's always important to check your cruise line's requirements as they may be stringent than government regulations.To give you two examples (and there are others) Regent Seven Seas and Azamara require passports for all itineraries, even closed loop Western Hemisphere cruises where government regulations permit US citizens to use other documentation, such as a birth certificate and drivers license.

Thank you, as a Regent past cruiser I was aware of their requirement.

While I agree that one should always check the requirements of each line on which one is traveling, it should be noted that Royal Caribbean does not require passports of US citizens on all itineraries, http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=329&faqSubjectName=Cruise+Documents&faqId=2814

Nor Carnival, http://www.carnival.com/Core/FAQ.aspx?faq=travel+documentation

Nor NCL, http://www.ncl.com/about/required-travel-documentation

Nor Princess, Holland America, or Celebrity. In other words, a significant number of mass market lines do not require that US citizens travel with passports on closed-loop cruises.

Though this topic has been done to death, I'm going to use the opportunity of receiving our most recent upcoming cruise docs to drive home the point that, no matter what you read here (even when the posting person quotes valid government regulations and the practices of the cruise line they frequent), you may be SOL without a passport in YOUR particular case.

"........ (cruise line) requires all travelers to have a valid passport. All itineraries require that passports are valid for (6) months beyond the completion of your travel."

Cruise lines may have stricter requirements than established by DHS and part of performing due diligence is ascertaining if the cruise line one happens to be sailing with does have stricter requirements.

Thank you, as a Regent past cruiser I was aware of their requirement.

Interesting that Oceania - a sister company to Regent does not seem to have this restriction, at least I could not find it (as Regent can be found). Very odd that companies so close would have rules seemingly so different.

Flatbush Flyer you of course are entitled to your privacy but CC is a pretty public place for that!

Edited by nana541

Interesting that Oceania - a sister company to Regent does not seem to have this restriction, at least I could not find it (as Regent can be found). Very odd that companies so close would have rules seemingly so different.

Flatbush Flyer you of course are entitled to your privacy but CC is a pretty public place for that!

Carnival Corp owns CCL, Princess, HAL, Seabourn and Costa among others and each of them is a distinct entity with different policies.

Carnival Corp owns CCL, Princess, HAL, Seabourn and Costa among others and each of them is a distinct entity with different policies.

Point noted... Just seemed odd and I had never given it any thought!

And Azamara is part of the Royal Caribbean group, but neither Royal Caribbean nor Celebrity requires a passport for closed loop itineraries where government regulations allow use of a birth certificate and photo ID.

As sparks1093 said, each line has its own policies.

And Azamara is part of the Royal Caribbean group, but neither Royal Caribbean nor Celebrity requires a passport for closed loop itineraries where government regulations allow use of a birth certificate and photo ID.

As sparks1093 said, each line has its own policies.

Very weird... But traveling without a passport is a really bad idea, IMO

Actually, Oceania does require that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries must have a passport. It is clearly stated in the first paragraph of page 1 of their final cruise documents as well as in the "terms and conditions" of the original booking contract (guest statement).

Again, my point (over several posts in this thread) is that well-meaning individuals on Cruise Critic often provide erroneous or incomplete information. This is not unique to Cruise Critic. Many Internet forums take folks down wrong paths or misinform or mislead (though not necessarily intentionally) "newbies."

Actually, Oceania does require that ALL passengers on ALL itineraries must have a passport. It is clearly stated in the first paragraph of page 1 of their final cruise documents as well as in the "terms and conditions" of the original booking contract (guest statement).

Again, my point (over several posts in this thread) is that well-meaning individuals on Cruise Critic often provide erroneous or incomplete information. This is not unique to Cruise Critic. Many Internet forums take folks down wrong paths or misinform or mislead (though not necessarily intentionally) "newbies."

From Oceania website: FAQ

Without a passenger contract this was all it found but I certainly don't doubt that as Regent and Oceania both use pretty much the exact same contract....

Certainly not clear and of course asking your cruise line is always the best method, ALONG WITH A VALID PASSPORT OF COURSE!

Q: Do I need a Passport or Visa?

A: Passport and Visa requirements, and regulations in regards to vaccination certificates and other health requirements vary by destination. It is the sole responsibility of each guest to obtain and have available appropriate valid travel and health documents for their chosen itinerary. Any guest traveling without the proper documentation will not be allowed to board the vesseland no refund of cruise fare or any other travel components purchased from Oceania Cruises will be issued. Passports must be valid six months from the date of trip completion. Due to airline security measures, your Passport name must match your airline ticket name or you may be denied boarding. Oceania Cruises accepts no responsibility for obtaining required visas nor for advising guests of visa or other immigration requirements beyond the guidelines indicated.

SAVE THE HASSLE OF BEING WITHOUT PROPER DOCUMENTATION AND BEING DENIED BOARDING.... Bring your PASSPORT!!!!!

Edited by nana541

Very weird... But traveling without a passport is a really bad idea, IMO

Not weird at all. The upscale and luxury lines appeal largely to a vastly different market than the mass market lines. Passengers on the upscale and luxury lines almost certainly have already traveled internationally and have passports. If they don't already have a passport, getting one adds only a small percentage to the total cost of their cruise.

All the cruise lines prefer that you have a passport, but the mass market lines realize that if they required one when regulations do not a percentage of their potential customers would not cruise with them.

Edited by njhorseman

Does NCL stamp your passport when entering different ports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No cruise line stamps your passport...immigration officials from the countries you're entering stamp your passport.

It's relatively rare for cruise passengers' passports to get stamped. A few countries do.

If you're going on a cruise to the Caribbean or Mexico your passport won't get stamped.

Edited by njhorseman

• 1 month later...

We have our correct Govt issued birth certificates and photo driver licenses and I can bring my marriage license just in case.

My question is, somehow my husbands Birth Certificate and Driver License don't have the same name. The Driver License is missing his middle name/initial completely but all other information is the same.

Is this going to be a problem?