Passports or birth certificates?

jdragr

We have our correct Govt issued birth certificates and photo driver licenses and I can bring my marriage license just in case.

My question is, somehow my husbands Birth Certificate and Driver License don't have the same name. The Driver License is missing his middle name/initial completely but all other information is the same.

Is this going to be a problem?

While it shouldn't be, perhaps it would be better to err on the side of caution and assume that yes, it is. Sure would be disappointing to be denied flight and/or cruise because of that and your only come-back is: "Well, 'someone' on the Internet said it wouldn't be a problem, or, that I wouldn't need a passport.

Plus, if (God forbid) something happens and you have to fly back from overseas (anywhere outside the United States), you CAN'T DO IT without a passport.

Just go ahead and get the passports . . .

Edited by Calgon1
'cause I can't spell . . .

We have our correct Govt issued birth certificates and photo driver licenses and I can bring my marriage license just in case.

My question is, somehow my husbands Birth Certificate and Driver License don't have the same name. The Driver License is missing his middle name/initial completely but all other information is the same.

No problem. They don't care about the middle name on your drivers license.

And don't let other posters try to bully you into getting a passport. As long as you realize there is a minor risk associated with not having a passport (you can't take an international flight if the need arose) and are willing to accept that small risk, then your official government-issued BC and drivers license are perfectly acceptable under Department of Homeland Security regulations as well as NCL's own requirements. (there are some cruise lines that require a passport for a closed loop cruise, but not the mass market lines like NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival.)

Edited by njhorseman

No problem. They don't care about the middle name on your drivers license.

And don't let other posters try to bully you into getting a passport. As long as you realize there is a minor risk associated with not having a passport (you can't take an international flight if the need arose) and are willing to accept that small risk, then your official government-issued BC and drivers license are perfectly acceptable under Department of Homeland Security regulations as well as NCL's own requirements. (there are some cruise lines that require a passport for a closed loop cruise, but not the mass market lines like NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival.)

This. My birth certificate has my full middle name and my drivers license only had the initial (and even my Enhanced Drivers License only has an initial, now that I've looked at it).

Please know that, regardless of your itinerary (e.g., closed loop from a US port), some cruise lines (i.e., Oceania, Regent, et al. require a passport for ALL passengers on ALL itineraries). Check with your travel agent regarding what your cruise line requires and s/he should be able to answer your original question as well as the passport issue. Remember that the cruise line's rules may differ from the rules of any government officials you may encounter from country to country.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please know that, regardless of your itinerary (e.g., closed loop from a US port), some cruise lines (i.e., Oceania, Regent, et al. require a passport for ALL passengers on ALL itineraries). Check with your travel agent regarding what your cruise line requires and s/he should be able to answer your original question as well as the passport issue. Remember that the cruise line's rules may differ from the rules of any government officials you may encounter from country to country.

The poster who posed this question stated they are on NCL, which follows normal CBP protocol for proof of citizenship and identity. Hence the BC and drivers license are sufficient for their closed loop cruise. Further, their signature block shows they are cruising on the Norwegian Sky, which means the only foreign country on their itinerary is the Bahamas. The Bahamas accepts the US rules for cruise passengers and requires no additional documentation. My answer reflected those facts (NCL and the Bahamas).

Edited by njhorseman

The poster who posed this question stated they are on NCL, which follows normal CBP protocol for proof of citizenship and identity. Hence the BC and drivers license are sufficient for their closed loop cruise. Further, their signature block shows they are cruising on the Norwegian Sky, which means the only foreign country on their itinerary is the Bahamas. The Bahamas accepts the US rules for cruise passengers and requires no additional documentation. My answer reflected those facts (NCL and the Bahamas).

And your response also included the information that some cruise lines require a passport for even closed loop cruises (you just didn't mention them by name).

We are traveling on a 7 day western Caribbean from New Orleans on June 29th. None of us have passports. Can we just use our birth certificates?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Make sure you have all the up to date documents, call your TA

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here!

My drivers license did not have my full first name (i.e. Tom vs Thomas or Greg vs Gregory, Jon vs Jonathan). RCI said they could not accept. They did check and call me back and said they made notification to their Port Supervisor so it would be allowed. Not taking a chance I had my drivers license updated. I was told by RCI that they can accept 1 letter being off (misspelling) and they don't care about if one document has a middle name and the other doesn't. With that said and what other's have said I would not take what is listed on a board as gospel, especially with govt/cruise line requirements.

I had applied for a Passport but my Birth Certificate (City issued not Hospital) did not have my parents listed and it was rejected. I'm glad I tried because I'm not sure if if I took license and BC on cruise if they would accept it without parents names. I have since ordered a certified "long form" Birth certificate issued. Back 40+ years I guess in some areas the short form was common. My wife had the same issue.

We have "re" submitted our Birth Certificates and I should have Passport in the next few days (expedited service).

As noted I am a novice and look forward to learning and enjoying the site.

Hi cdrj, and welcome to Cruise Critic!

A "long form" BC listing parents names is required for a passport but not for cruising.

Unless, of course, a particular cruise line requires a passport of all passengers on all itineraries.

No no problem at all and not silly. Just had to go and figure out how to do it. Yes surprise for hubby. He has 5 boxes wrapped one inside the other. All are clues for the trip. Biggest box flip flops and another wrapped box. Next box is swim trunks and another wrapped box. Next box is sunscreen and another wrapped box. Next box is a toy train since we are going to take Amtrak and another wrapped box. Last box is a toy cruise ship.

He hates the beach but I am hoping he will like cruising. I know he would have loved an Alaskan cruise but just couldn't afford it right now.

I would rather have my toenails pulled out with pliers than spend an hour on the beach. We're just about to go on our 20th cruise, and several of them have been Caribbean cruises. So hating the beach and loving cruising are perfectly compatible! I hope you and your hubby have a wonderful time.

I talked to more than one TA including one suggested by a forum member. I'm not stupid. I am a professional and own my own business. I thought the first time cruiser forum was just that a place for new cruisers to ask questions. If you think my questions are foolish you don't have to comment on them.

I thought that was a little rude myself, I am a totally unaware person in regards to cruising as this is my first so the passport question was on my mind too. My girlfriends who I am cruising with strongly suggested I get one in case of the need to fly home.

I am glad I went to apply as my birth certificate was not satisfactory it did not have official state seal, it was old and the only copy I have ever had. I applied for new certificate and passport so all should be good. My point is if you are planning to travel with bc and license please double check that bc is acceptable.

:)

First time poster.

We're looking at taking a cruise in Spring 2015. Caribbean, closed loop, so technically we don't need passports.

My husband and I both have passports dating back to 2007, so we're good to go.

My youngest daughter (age 26) got her passport in 2008. She has since married, and she is now using her married name. Meaning, her passport is invalid, right?

My granddaughter (will be six by the cruise) has her mother's maiden name as her last name. Her stepfather is looking to adopt her. After adoption, she will use his last name. However, final adoption won't be until after the cruise. We don't want to get a passport just for this one trip, then have that passport invalidated by the name change. Can she get by with just her birth certificate? Should we get her a state issued ID? (I do remember getting her mother a state issued ID when we went on our last cruise when she was 15).

If it means anything, stepfather won't be making the trip (he gets sick easily and hates crowds). Her natural father signed over parental rights earlier this year.

Thanks in advance. :)

First time poster.

We're looking at taking a cruise in Spring 2015. Caribbean, closed loop, so technically we don't need passports.

My youngest daughter (age 26) got her passport in 2008. She has since married, and she is now using her married name. Meaning, her passport is invalid, right?

My granddaughter (will be six by the cruise) has her mother's maiden name as her last name. Her stepfather is looking to adopt her. After adoption, she will use his last name. However, final adoption won't be until after the cruise. We don't want to get a passport just for this one trip, then have that passport invalidated by the name change. Can she get by with just her birth certificate? Should we get her a state issued ID? (I do remember getting her mother a state issued ID when we went on our last cruise when she was 15).

If it means anything, stepfather won't be making the trip (he gets sick easily and hates crowds). Her natural father signed over parental rights earlier this year.

Whether or not you require a passport for the closed loop Caribbean cruise does not depend solely on government regulations. Several cruise lines require a passport of ALL passengers on ALL itineraries. Check with your TA and/or cruise line directly.

First time poster.

1. Changing your name does not invalidate the previous passport. Just make sure the booking is in the name on the passport.

2. You can change the name on a passport for free if done within one year of issue.

Lady BeBop. It sounds as if you have several adults traveling with one child? That matters on some cruiselines as to whether your granddaughter needs a passport. If you want specific answers, tell us which cruiseline and your itinerary to get the most complete answers for your situation.

Lady BeBop. It sounds as if you have several adults traveling with one child? That matters on some cruiselines as to whether your granddaughter needs a passport. If you want specific answers, tell us which cruiseline and your itinerary to get the most complete answers for your situation.

I suspect you're thinking of the rule Princess has, but you've got it backwards. Princess requires everyone to have a passport when minors are traveling with only one adult age 21 or older. In the case we're discussing here there are multiple adults traveling with one child, not one adult traveling with minors (or one minor).

Edited by njhorseman

Whether or not you require a passport for the closed loop Caribbean cruise does not depend solely on government regulations. Several cruise lines require a passport of ALL passengers on ALL itineraries. Check with your TA and/or cruise line directly.

1. Changing your name does not invalidate the previous passport. Just make sure the booking is in the name on the passport.

2. You can change the name on a passport for free if done within one year of issue.

These answers are correct.

Further, the six year old does not need an ID if no passport is required. An official government agency-issued birth certificate will be sufficient.

Edited by njhorseman

Thanks for all of the responses.

Everything is still up in the air and not 100% guaranteed. But it will probably be a RCCL cruise. Unsure if Eastern or Western Caribbean.

There will be a total of five adults and the six-year old. Unsure of the sleeping arraigments, but if we go with two cabins sleeping 3 and 3, my granddaughter will be with my husband and me, and her mother will be with my other daughter and her husband. Will we need notarized travel documents if my daughter and granddaughter are on the same ship but separate rooms?

Also, if my daughter uses her maiden name when booking the cruise, she can use her old passport. I guess that makes sense. Her drivers license shows her married name. Will it be a problem if she uses her drivers license to buy drinks on board ship? At 26, she looks young enough that she could possibly be carded. She won't get a drink package.

And my granddaughter can get by with just her birth certificate? No other ID?

Everything is still up in the air and not 100% guaranteed. But it will probably be a RCCL cruise. Unsure if Eastern or Western Caribbean.

There will be a total of five adults and the six-year old. Unsure of the sleeping arraigments, but if we go with two cabins sleeping 3 and 3, my granddaughter will be with my husband and me, and her mother will be with my other daughter and her husband. Will we need notarized travel documents if my daughter and granddaughter are on the same ship but separate rooms?

Also, if my daughter uses her maiden name when booking the cruise, she can use her old passport. I guess that makes sense. Her drivers license shows her married name. Will it be a problem if she uses her drivers license to buy drinks on board ship? At 26, she looks young enough that she could possibly be carded. She won't get a drink package.

Your daughter's ID would need to match the name on her sail and sign account or I would expect that could cause problems. Your daughter may book the cruise in her married name and bring her marriage license as a bridge document between the passport and drivers license (they may or may not ask for it as her picture is on both documents). Your granddaughter is under 16 and only needs her government issued birth certificate. I wouldn't expect that you would need a notarized travel document but if you book your daughter and granddaugther in the same cabin you may change it once you are onboard.

Do they look at ID when signing?

They might (and I would think that they would be required to match the name on the ID with the name on the S&S card). Of course if they don't card her there wouldn't be an issue.

You daughter won't get "carded" on the ship. When you check in anyone under 21 is issued a "sign and sail card" that is specifically marked (it's marked in different ways on different cruise lines) so that they are not served alcoholic beverages. All you do to make any purchase on the ship (beverages or anything else) is present your sign and sail card...no drivers license or other form of ID is needed. Your daughter, being over age 21 will have an adult's card.

Your granddaughter only needs an official government-issued birth certificate. Photo ID is only required for passengers age 16 and older.

Edited by njhorseman

They might (and I would think that they would be required to match the name on the ID with the name on the S&S card). Of course if they don't card her there wouldn't be an issue.

Your sign and sail card identifies whether you are an adult or a minor. No other ID is needed on board. If there is a question the card is linked to your on board account which includes your picture, so it will be clear by looking at the picture that the person presenting the card is the person who was issued the card.