Cruising AOS with 5 yr old - kids club advice?

Hi all,

Going on 1st cruise in 1 month on Adventure, but with my 5yr old daughter (6 in June).

Anyone used the kids clubs at all, and what opinion did you and yours have of them?

Also leaning towards the 6-8 club over the 3-5 year olds, anyone used these specifically?

Do you need to book or just show up?

How would they contact you on the ship if there was an issue?

Thanks in advance,

Dalcross

Hi all,

Going on 1st cruise in 1 month on Adventure, but with my 5yr old daughter (6 in June).

Anyone used the kids clubs at all, and what opinion did you and yours have of them?

Also leaning towards the 6-8 club over the 3-5 year olds, anyone used these specifically?

Thanks in advance,

Dalcross

When you board the ship there will be someone there from the kids club (Adventure Ocean) to greet you and to tell you about the program. You will want to make sure that your daughter goes to the first session, that's when everyone gets to meet each other and friendships are formed. My kids started in the 9 - 12 age group so I can't speak about the younger ones but from what I have seen, all of the kids enjoy the program.

The 3-5 group parents get pagers for if you are needed. You can't just arbitrarily move her to the older group. You can ask and they can either say no or have her spend one session in her assigned group to assess her maturity level.

My daughter has been sailing RCCL since one year old and is now seven. Overall she likes the kids programs and we've never had any serious issues. Like others have said, in the younger age group you can request a phone so they can contact you if there's an issue. I've never seen any older than the youngest age group ask or get a phone.

The one thing I will say is that my now seven year old preferred the younger age group because there was more art, play time, reading, etc. She feels that the 6 - 8 age group is all sports, all the time and caters more to boys than girls.

We sailed on Adventure in March with my almost 4 year old. He loved Adventure Ocean and didn't want to spend any time with us. He kept begging to go back up there any time we tried to get him to come with us. We asked for a phone so they could get in touch with us but they told us they don't work very well so they never gave us one. On our sailing they actually combined a few of the groups a few of the days because the overall number of kids using Adventure Ocean was so small. My son went daily and there was normally only 2 other kids in his age group at most. So a few times they were in with the older kids.

Before you get on board the ship your daughter will receive a plastic bracelet that she will wear for the duration of the cruise. The bracelet identifies the location of her muster station (and yours) in the unlikely event of an emergency while she is in AO.

Agree with the pp that encouraged you to go to AO the first night. You and she can get a feel for the club, play some games, connect with other parents, and sign her up. AO times are 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10. You can leave her in AO after 10:00 for a nominal fee.

If you haven't already done so you might want to join the roll call. There is a good chance you can chat with other parents that will be on your sailing. Also, hop on over to the Family Boards, there is a lot of information over there as well. Welcome to CC!

Edited by Wilda

Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Dalcross

Hi we did the AO program 2 years ago with 5 year old twins and a 9 year old they absolutely loved it, The children were given a plastic bracelet in case of emergency and we were given a phone in case there was any issues not that there was any. They will do face painting, arts and crafts, games, story time and then watch videos towards the end of the night. The AO is very secure and you will have to register yourself and your child. They will have to take their shoes of when they go in so we found putting them in easy to put on shoes/trainers speeded dropping them off and picking them up. We used the slumber party twice as they begged to stay, they told us they were playing party games and dances, playing games with their new friends, playing on the computers and watching videos

When we went there were not a lot of children and they all received quite a bit of personal attention from the staff.

We did NCL the following year and the kids did not enjoy this as much as the activities where a lot more time structured and there was a lot more kids

We are trying Celebrity this year and hope it is more like Royal

The club activities are geared toward your child's age....if she's 5 (even going on 6!), the activities will suit her greatly! If they notice that your child is too advanced for the age group, they will ask if they can move her up.

• 2 weeks later...
We are on the July 6 sailing AOS with a 4 year old ... we've booked the Barbie Experience for her ... has anyone experienced this package?

You'll probably want to start a new thread for this.

We are on the July 6 sailing AOS with a 4 year old ... we've booked the Barbie Experience for her ... has anyone experienced this package?

Some threads on the subject:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1961399

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1915907

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1872015

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1951941