LAX 12 HR Layover, can we do this?

debshomespun

We will be arriving on United to LAX on Jan. 22, 2015 (Thursday) at 10:30AM. Flying on to Australia on Qantas, and our flight is not until 10:20PM. (I set it up this way, as we are leaving from Cleveland in the middle of the winter). From some info I have quickly read, since we have a good 8 hours (almost 12 total time at LAX as long as flights are on time, LOL!), we were thinking we might like to hop over to Hollywood for a few hours, and see the Stars Walk of Fame, and grab a bite to eat. We only have to deal with our carry on bag (which will be only 15 lbs for Qantas! :eek:). Wanting to know how easy this would be on the bus system that is there between the Airport and Hollywood. I know it will take time to get there (probably an hour anyways), but we should still have time to do this. Any of you have some input on this?

I have also posted on the California boards.

Edited by debshomespun

I would rent a car, better use of your time.

Absolutely, then when you've enjoyed (?) Hollywood, head back toward the beach and have an early dinner at Manhattan Beach, just south of the airport. Walk out the pier, fill up on oxygen, watch the sun set over the Pacific. Where you're going it'll be rising over the Pacific instead.

Give yourself plenty of time getting back! Traffic in California is really horrible and I say that as an east coast big city driver! Sometimes the car goes sometimes it just sits. Why not check out a tour or private tour. Thought I saw one. Taxi is a possible to -- those folks know how to drive in the crazy patterns that a non Californian would not even imagine. :D

I would rent a car to, but if you don't want to, you can actually in this case rely on the transit system to get you to Hollywood.

Take the LAX FlyAway to Union Station - it leaves LAX every 30 minutes without fail and will be at Union Station in about 30 minutes. Union Station is where you can catch the Red Line subway to Hollywood & Highland - operates every 6-12 minutes and is extremely reliable, takes about 20 minutes, gets you to Hollywood.

The Flyaway is $7/each way, the subway is $1.50/trip.

Depending on traffic, it actually could be faster to travel by this method than driving. The FlyAway uses all carpool or express (45 MPH guaranteed regardless of traffic) lanes getting to downtown.

I would rent a car to, but if you don't want to, you can actually in this case rely on the transit system to get you to Hollywood.

Take the LAX FlyAway to Union Station - it leaves LAX every 30 minutes without fail and will be at Union Station in about 30 minutes. Union Station is where you can catch the Red Line subway to Hollywood & Highland - operates every 6-12 minutes and is extremely reliable, takes about 20 minutes, gets you to Hollywood.

Depending on traffic, it actually could be faster to travel by this method than driving. The FlyAway uses all carpool or express (45 MPH guaranteed regardless of traffic) lanes getting to downtown.

Thank you!! This is exactly what I was looking for. I don't want to book a tour, in case our flights are late getting in. Also, depending on the weather and all those other variables. I will make my notes and research this alternative. We have been to the Long Beach area and Anaheim many years ago. I would not want to rent a car for the day and have all that stress with driving in the LA traffic!! Especially to start our trip! I'll have enough stress just making sure I don't forget anything for this long trip!! Thank you again!

The Metro is $1.50 per segment not per trip. ;).

To get to Hollywood from Union Station you'd need to take the Red Line. The cost is $1.50one way + $1 for the reloadable Tap card.

Only consistent bathrooms are in Union Station.

There are senior rates available but you need to apply for the senior card. Took Mom 6 weeks to get her card.

More info can be found at

metro.net

Personally I find the area around Union Station to be nicer than Hollywood. Olvera Street (birthplace of Los Angeles, China Town and Phillipe's French Dip for lunch.

Thanks for this information. I will think about using it in Feb./March when we have (by choice) long (30 hours) overnight stops on an Asian cruise. We stay at the Airport Marriott which is fine but rather boring -- not much around that location but other hotels. Could you please suggest other "tours" you could take using the public transportation system or combination or taxi and public transportation. Been to Hollywood in the last 2 years. Thanks!

Thanks for this information. I will think about using it in Feb./March when we have (by choice) long (30 hours) overnight stops on an Asian cruise. We stay at the Airport Marriott which is fine but rather boring -- not much around that location but other hotels. Could you please suggest other "tours" you could take using the public transportation system or combination or taxi and public transportation. Been to Hollywood in the last 2 years. Thanks!

We are are also overnighting before and after Asia flights. We will be staying at the Embassy Suites North that I understand is served by a shuttle to Manhattan Beach --lovely sunsets.

Where do you pick-up the FlyAway at LAX? Thanks.

Just outside each terminal luggage area..cross the street and stand under the blue sign that will be above each area..the buses are large city type that will have "FlyAway" displayed on them..just make sure you don't get on the one going to Van Nuys...and get on the Union Station one...they will be clearly marked..and driver will load your luggage.

Hi Neighbor to our West (deb),

We did this Jan 2013 but we stayed overnight! We rented a car from Enterprise(highly recommend them at the LAX location) and drove to our hotel up near UCLA. Very late arrival so our timing would be similar to yours. Our flight to NZ required us to be to airport around 5:30 pm. With recommendations from this board we visited the Getty Museum--fantastic. It was recommended to us by several Californians. We had considered going to Hollywood but opted to go to the a Getty which is free! Beautiful day with sunshine--something those of us from the East do not get in January. We then went to Santa Monica. We wanted to walk on the beach but we circled several times and could not find parking. We continued to Venice Beach for lunch at an Italian restaurant a half block from the beach. We also walked on the boardwalk. We then proceeded to the airport. Easy peasy. We did the furthest from the airport and worked our way back to the airport. It was good to break up that loooong flight.

You will love your cruise!

Pearl, just over the PA border!

The Metro system (city buses, Metrorail subways, and Metrolink regional trains) has a $10 pass good on Saturday or Sunday. It used to be good all weekend but is now only good for 1 day. I realize OP will be here on a Thursday but it may help others.

Traveling around on MTA transit is best with little or no luggage. Note that the pass is *not* good on Flyaway, the Big Blue Bus (Santa Monica Transit), etc.

The Metro system (city buses, Metrorail subways, and Metrolink regional trains) has a $10 pass good on Saturday or Sunday. It used to be good all weekend but is now only good for 1 day. I realize OP will be here on a Thursday but it may help others.

Traveling around on MTA transit is best with little or no luggage. Note that the pass is *not* good on Flyaway, the Big Blue Bus (Santa Monica Transit), etc.

MetroRail has a $5 day pass, good any day and will get you around many parts of LA

MetroLink is is good for visiting the outer reaches of the greater LA area- Orange County, San Bernardino and the valley areas. It costs about $10/trip but it does include MetroRail and other lines.

There's a lot too see in LA. Not just Hollywood. Renting a car is the best option. You might consider a visit to Santa Monica which has the pier, good shopping and restaurants. It's about 10 mins from LAX.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

MetroRail has a $5 day pass, good any day and will get you around many parts of LA

MetroLink is is good for visiting the outer reaches of the greater LA area- Orange County, San Bernardino and the valley areas. It costs about $10/trip but it does include MetroRail and other lines.

Thanks for the added info. I live in the "outer reaches" so the $10 pass is all I know!