What would you have wanted to know prior to your 1st cruise?

nrthrngal

Bermuda is a little different .

No ship excursions needed .

With three days to get back to the ship a rookie can do it .:D

Great point! Missed the bermuda part in my reply :) I was thinking it was only one day in port where sometimes you have a tight turnaround.

I wish someone had told me to bring about twice as much money as we thought we'd need. It was amazing how fast our onboard account blew up that first cruise. Now we know better, plan better, budget more wisely, and pay better attention throughout the cruise. It can add up fast!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Actually I've been somewhat worried about that. We've got the UBP and the UDP and paid my fees etc ahead of time (did it online and it actually charged us in Canadian which was a huge advantage. May have been a mistake but they can't take it back now😋). I'm have no clue how much actual cash to being and I'm assuming they'll accept American money in Bermuda, hope so anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by nrthrngal

My first. The Norway. 1986.

I wish someone had warned me about how tiny the rooms were. I literally thought I was being pranked.

HA! I'm prepared for it, I used to be a flight attendant so was trapped in a metal tube at 41,000ft a lot of the time, definitely don't have a problem, with small spaces.

May I ask what Platinum means and what it has to do with laundry? I'm sure this is a stupid question? If so, sorry!

Edited by nrthrngal

HA! I'm prepared for it, I used to be a flight attendant so was trapped in a metal tube at 41,000ft a lot of the time, definitely don't have a problem, with small spaces.

May I ask what Platinum means and what it has to do with laundry? I'm sure this is a stupid question? If so, sorry!

After your first cruise you are a bronze in the " latitudes" which is the liyalty program at NCL. As you cruise more you move up the ranks to silver, gold, and then platinum. Each level has perks. When you become platinum you are entitled to one free bag of laundry per cruise. You can also buy this I think it's about $27.99 right now. If you roll and stuff your clothes into the bag you can get quite a bit in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As stated earlier, don't overpack. On our first cruise I had two outfits for every day including matching shoes. One for the day and one for dinner. Way, way to much. For a sunny warm cruise I now pack one pair of tennis shoes and a pair of black and a pair of brown sandals. I pack one pair of black pants that can be worn with the tops I am wearing during the day. Very often the black pants never get worn. If it's a cold weather cruise I just swap the black and brown sandals for a pair of each color in a comfortable walking shoe. The thing I love about NCL is that if I want to I can wear what I had on earlier in the day to dinner.

I did the same on our first NCL cruise! :rolleyes:

Now: a few pairs of white capris and several tops, some dressy and others plain coloured. One swimsuit and cover-up. 3 pairs of really comfy shoes - 2 sandals (Grandco sandals - look it up) and one covered. No high heels!! (too much walking on ship).

Not to waste money on ship excursions...you can do your own or through a local company for a fraction of the cost and they often end up better!

I have compared costs on the types of excursions we like and never seen an appreciable difference, plus it was easy and I didn't have to keep my eye on a clock..

Oh sorry, just saw it was Bermuda. Yes, you have 3 days. We did a tour someone on our Roll Call organized and walked around the other days...

Edited by Medtech2

We would have liked to have known that at the time when we were 40/44 respectively and booked a cruise on HAL's MS Maasdam that we would be one of the youngest couples on the ship! :eek:

Oh MY! We are 34 & 38, I figure we'll be in the middle somewhere..;)

Have never used the duct tape but those clips you can get at a dollar store are handy for keeping your towel attached to a beach chair and I have discreetly clipped an item of clothing to my balcony chair while underway if I had to wash something in the sink that would not dry quickly.

I also did not pack a belt on our Epic cruise, which I would count as our first cruise on a modern big ship. I was so active I actually lost a little weight and since I pack light I would wear pants more than once. The darn waists got loose and as I was dancing on deck my pants would start to sag. I wish I'd thought to bring a belt. I had planned on gaining so had packed for that possibility. Obviously I am way more active on a ship than going to work and home, another plus for me to cruise more often!

Bring a small umbrella. I not only used it for rain but for sightseeing in the sun. Shaded my eyes and did not have to worry so much about sunburn.

If you plan on buying alcohol or even a painting from Park West to bring back be mindful of overweight baggage. We were so shocked we did not think to empty and redistribute our bags and had to pay overweight fees, but then again we don't normally fly...

Explore the entire ship the first day. Invariably we find some gem of a space the last day, like a quiet spot to relax...

As someone above pointed out, you may want to bring a power strip as outlets in the cabins are very limited. Depending on the type of cabin we get sometimes I bring a clear plastic over the door shoe organizer. It's not just good for shoes but for all the little stuff you have with you (toiletries, jewelry, tickets etc...).

The one thing I really wish I knew before I went is how addictive it is ;)

You'll love it!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

That you can ask for seconds in the MDR or order two apps, etc.

I thought it was only one app, one entree, one dessert, etc.

Harriet

But - do not try to eat everything on the ship the first day. Your digestive system will need to adjust - belly ache on board is not welcome (take indigestion tablets with you).

Take half the clothes and twice the money.

Pack a sense of humour.

Expect small glitches and go with the flow.

If in doubt - ask - the staff are there to try to give you the best holiday possible and are always willing to help.

I did the same on our first NCL cruise! :rolleyes:

Now: a few pairs of white capris and several tops, some dressy and others plain coloured. One swimsuit and cover-up. 3 pairs of really comfy shoes - 2 sandals (Grandco sandals - look it up) and one covered. No high heels!! (too much walking on ship).

We are different here. I only brought one bathing suit my first cruise, and that was a HUGE mistake. I spend the vast majority of every day in a bathing suit. I now pack 3 for a week-long cruise.

Actually I've been somewhat worried about that. We've got the UBP and the UDP and paid my fees etc ahead of time (did it online and it actually charged us in Canadian which was a huge advantage. May have been a mistake but they can't take it back now). I'm have no clue how much actual cash to being and I'm assuming they'll accept American money in Bermuda, hope so anyways!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, they accept American money in Bermuda. Bring enough for souveniers you might want, tips for porters, cabbies, and guides on any excursions you might take.

Many people give extra tips to cabin stewards, bar tenders, and waiters who give great service, even though they are covered by the DSC. If you use the services of a butler, concierge, or children's staff, they are not covered by the DSC. Tips would be appropriate for them. We brought more cash than we thought we'd need, and were able to bring the remainder home. $100.00 per day might be a good figure, although you might not need that much. It depends upon how much you plan to buy off of the ship, or extra tipping you care to do.

Have never used the duct tape but those clips you can get at a dollar store are handy for keeping your towel attached to a beach chair and I have discreetly clipped an item of clothing to my balcony chair while underway if I had to wash something in the sink that would not dry quickly.

I also did not pack a belt on our Epic cruise, which I would count as our first cruise on a modern big ship. I was so active I actually lost a little weight and since I pack light I would wear pants more than once. The darn waists got loose and as I was dancing on deck my pants would start to sag. I wish I'd thought to bring a belt. I had planned on gaining so had packed for that possibility. Obviously I am way more active on a ship than going to work and home, another plus for me to cruise more often!

Bring a small umbrella. I not only used it for rain but for sightseeing in the sun. Shaded my eyes and did not have to worry so much about sunburn.

If you plan on buying alcohol or even a painting from Park West to bring back be mindful of overweight baggage. We were so shocked we did not think to empty and redistribute our bags and had to pay overweight fees, but then again we don't normally fly...

Explore the entire ship the first day. Invariably we find some gem of a space the last day, like a quiet spot to relax...

That's amazing! If this happens I can guarantee I'll become a cruise junkie!

Yes, they accept American money in Bermuda. Bring enough for souveniers you might want, tips for porters, cabbies, and guides on any excursions you might take.

Many people give extra tips to cabin stewards, bar tenders, and waiters who give great service, even though they are covered by the DSC. If you use the services of a butler, concierge, or children's staff, they are not covered by the DSC. Tips would be appropriate for them. We brought more cash than we thought we'd need, and were able to bring the remainder home. $100.00 per day might be a good figure, although you might not need that much. It depends upon how much you plan to buy off of the ship, or extra tipping you care to do.

Thank you, off to the bank!

First cruise 2010 Carnival Miracle (loved it!), but...I was so focused on making sure to have enough bathing suits and dresses for dinner; clothing that I really don't use much in my everyday life, that I totally did not bring enough regular clothes. I guess I was thinking I'd be at the pool all day until it was time for dinner...? That never happened, and as a result I didn't have enough "roam around the ship" stuff..like t'shirts and shorts. I ended up having to do laundry by midweek. Everyone always talks about over-packing...I completely under packed for sure. Second cruise I did much better :)

Our first cruise was on the Jade and the both of us wish we knew about about the gratuities. I thought one had pre-paid them but I was wrong when I got the bill at the end of the cruise. I did not make that mistake on our second cruise.

Try to participate in the group activities events that will be listed in the Freestyle Daily. We have been cruising for over 20 years and DH and I ignored all of the what to us seemed "silly" stuff that they had going on each day. About 6 years ago we started attending some of these and were totally surprised at how much fun they were, how many laughs we had, and how many new friendships were gained interacting with our fellow passengers. For instance, golf putting competition, bean bag tossing, martini and other liquor tastings, trivia, Dancing with the .... whatever ship you are on name.... Stars, Not so Newlywed Game, etc. etc.

Hi All,

I have cruised with Princess, P&O and Royal Caribbean in the past and loved them all.

Considering Norwegian Getaway in November but have two quick questions:

Do Norwegian offer a drinks package? I am particularly keen on the Princess Ultimate Kids Package as I do not drink alcohol and wondered if there is any equivalent on Norwegian?

Also - Can gratuities be removed as with other lines?

Thanks for your help!

Hi All,

Do Norwegian offer a drinks package? I am particularly keen on the Princess Ultimate Kids Package as I do not drink alcohol and wondered if there is any equivalent on Norwegian?

Thanks for your help!

NCL dose have soda pkgs. Not sure what an Ultimate Kids Package is.

Just curious as to why you're asking about having the 'gratuities', DSC removed.

Harriet

Hi All,

I have cruised with Princess, P&O and Royal Caribbean in the past and loved them all.

Considering Norwegian Getaway in November but have two quick questions:

Thanks for your help!

NCL do a soda package I think. Others may be able to add detail to that. I don't drink soda unless it is diluted with alcohol.:rolleyes:

The Service Charge can be adjusted if you have a service issue which cannot be resolved on board.

TOP TIP - do not remove the Service Charge if you think that tips you give to staff are theirs to keep. If you remove the Service Charge then they need to turn in any tips to the pool, so you achieve nothing. There is a mega-thread about this from a few days back :eek: - you probably do not want to go there unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

BTW this is a VERY hot topic here and you probably want to put on your flameproof suit now as the hawks are probably circling already.