Boarding in Vancouver

Arizona Cruisin

Our first cruise, in 1997, was out of Vancouver. We haven't boarded in Vancouver since. I remember a long line to check in and a long line to board the ship with the back and forth incline. We're sailing out of Vancouver on May 9 (Zaandam) and am wondering if the boarding process has changed. I cannot walk long distances and not on an incline. Should I rent a wheelchair? Or has the port been upgraded to walk directly onto the ship?

Thanks for your replies

Our first cruise, in 1997, was out of Vancouver. We haven't boarded in Vancouver since. I remember a long line to check in and a long line to board the ship with the back and forth incline. We're sailing out of Vancouver on May 9 (Zaandam) and am wondering if the boarding process has changed. I cannot walk long distances and not on an incline. Should I rent a wheelchair? Or has the port been upgraded to walk directly onto the ship?

Thanks for your replies

The line up to check in and through security isn't too bad. Once you get to there you go to HAL counter to check in and then sit in a waiting room to board. Boarding usually starts around 11:30 AM. When you check in at HAL tell them you would like wheel chair assistance to board and it will save you walking up a slanted gangway. Some times it is steep, depending on the tide. I'd plan to be at Canada Place at 10:30 regardless what anyone else tells you. I sailed from there twice last year & will again a week after you to go on the Oosterdam. Enjoy your cruise on the beautiful Zaandam. Love that ship.:)

I agree with Gail and KK. Plan on getting to the port by 10:30 as that is when they start processing passengers in Vancouver (the doorman of the PanPacific told us this and it was true) and then they will have chairs for you to wait or order a wheelchair as this is your vacation and you don't want to start out by stressing yourself.

Enjoy every minute!!

Once you are at the terminal, request a wheelchair. They will provide a wheelchair with driver :-) for you to navigate the check-in lines. I had been injured in New Zealand and couldn't stand for a long time so my husband asked a HAL rep if he could get a wheelchair for me for awhile…soon a HAL employee arrived and shepherded me all the way to the cabin. What a HUGE help!

Isn't the Pan Pacific the hotel attached to the cruise terminal? Mom-in-law came with us a few years back and she was wheeled right down the elevators from the hotel directly to an area where lovely attendants were waiting with wheelchairs to help her on-board. I hope it's the same for you!

The line up to check in and through security isn't too bad. Once you get to there you go to HAL counter to check in and then sit in a waiting room to board. Boarding usually starts around 11:30 AM. When you check in at HAL tell them you would like wheel chair assistance to board and it will save you walking up a slanted gangway. Some times it is steep, depending on the tide. I'd plan to be at Canada Place at 10:30 regardless what anyone else tells you. I sailed from there twice last year & will again a week after you to go on the Oosterdam. Enjoy your cruise on the beautiful Zaandam. Love that ship.:)

If you require wheelchair assistance, plan on arriving at Canada Place no earlier than 11am. While it is true that passenger processing through security and customs begins earlier, around 10:30, the Holland America staff assigned to wheelchair assistance have other duties onboard the ship (helping get the cabins ready) prior to 11am.

Thank you all for your great answers. We are staying at the Pan Pacific and planned to go to the terminal about 10:30 after a room service breakfast.

Take the elevator down to reception level, then the other designated elevator down to cruise ship level.

Have a fabulous cruise.

Edited by erewhon

The times I've taken the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver it has gone very well, on board in 20 to 30 minutes. The worst boarding experience I've ever gone through was in Vancouver boarding the Zaandam. Now most of the fault does not lie with the ship. We arrived at 11:30am. There were 2 other ships in port and the Zaandam got stuck with the lower level boarding, one flight down from where the ships normally board. This was a first for me but maybe the Zaandam always get that no matter if they're the only ship or if others are in port. The line up for passengers to go through security snaked down the sidewalk of the underground parking. After standing in line for close to 30 minutes we got out of the underground parking and inside where you walk through the metal detector and your bags go through the screener. Mabe 15 more minutes once we got out of the parcade and through security. Now they send you to another line for US customs. My father was in a wheelchair - uses it for distances, and in this case handy cause he had somewhere to sit due to the lines - and normally persons with limited mobility go through another line up that is usually shorter. In this case I've never seen so many walkers, wheelchairs, scooters, and canes on any other cruise. The fully mobile people had a shorter line up but they wouldn't let us get in line there. We finally get through customs and into the section where we're checked onto the cruise. Again we're shuffled into the handicapped line but it wasn't going any faster than the fully mobile persons line up. The reason had to do with HAL's computer system that was extremely slow. All the staff were complaining. It must have been very frustrating for them. It took us over 2 hours to get on board the Zaandam. So yes I'd definitely say if you aren't up to standing for a long time get a wheelchair. You never know when the computers are acting up and slowing down the boarding process. Hopefully you'll get lucky and you'll be boarding upstairs where it's a lot larger and nicer and faster.

Thank you all for your great answers. We are staying at the Pan Pacific and planned to go to the terminal about 10:30 after a room service breakfast.

Great choice (though not huge rooms) because they take your luggage directly to the ship for you!

The times I've taken the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver it has gone very well, on board in 20 to 30 minutes. The worst boarding experience I've ever gone through was in Vancouver boarding the Zaandam. Now most of the fault does not lie with the ship. We arrived at 11:30am. There were 2 other ships in port and the Zaandam got stuck with the lower level boarding, one flight down from where the ships normally board. This was a first for me but maybe the Zaandam always get that no matter if they're the only ship or if others are in port.

I've only ever boarded the Zaandam in Vancouver on the upper level, and in quick time with no problems, so the Zaandam does not always get stuck boarding on the lower level.

KK

Great choice (though not huge rooms) because they take your luggage directly to the ship for you!

You will leave your luggage in the room, report to the HAL rep sitting in the hotel lobby across from the Reception desk, and the Bell Captain will ensure that it gets on the ship. It is an elevator ride down to the cruise terminal.

When we boarded the ship at 11:30, our luggage was already in our room.

Edited by Crew News

You will leave your luggage in the room, report to the HAL rep sitting in the hotel lobby across from the Reception desk, and the Bell Captain will ensure that it gets on the ship. It is an elevator ride down to the cruise terminal.

Is the process the same if we've booked the Pan Pacific on our own, not as HAL's pre cruise package?

Is the process the same if we've booked the Pan Pacific on our own, not as HAL's pre cruise package?

I cannot answer that one. Ours was included in a HAL package. The hotel folks deliver the luggage to the HAL porters so I would assume that anybody staying at the hotel could use the same service for a fee.

I cannot answer that one. Ours was included in a HAL package. The hotel folks deliver the luggage to the HAL porters so I would assume that anybody staying at the hotel could use the same service for a fee.

It works the same except you call the concierge or bellman when you have your bags ready.

I believe so - I was looking at the Pan Pacific for our cruise. It seems to be a part of the benefit of booking there from what I could make out and from what I saw on the website.

My problem is that we are disembarking there - so I am wondering if it works in reverse for the luggage to the hotel ;)

I think I had best email them to see if there are any arrangements possible. Nice to know in advance - especially for us planners:p

edited to say - I will ask if it works both ways if you like and if there is a charge - happy to post here with my findings :)

Edited by kazu

It works the same except you call the concierge or bellman when you have your bags ready.

Thanks!

So are we expected to report to the HAL desk? Or does that part not apply because we didn't book the hotel through HAL? Just trying to make sure I have the info that applies to us. Thanks in advance.

Thanks!

So are we expected to report to the HAL desk? Or does that part not apply because we didn't book the hotel through HAL? Just trying to make sure I have the info that applies to us. Thanks in advance.

You will have to ask at the Hotel Reception Desk.

When I checked in at the Pan Pacific (room booked on my own) last week, I mentioned that I was boarding a cruise the next day. The clerk asked if I would like my luggage delivered to the ship. Easy, peasy.

How easy boarding at Canada Place will be, that is another matter. I normally travel with DH who has mobility problems, so I was paying attention. It was about 11:15 when I started, there were two ships boarding that day.

If you have your own wheelchair or rent one (there was a place to do this before going through security), it will be a lot easier. I noticed a number of passengers struggling to walk as we wound through the looooooong line at security. I saw no accommodation for those with mobility problems. Once through security you are on to US Immigration. There was a 'red coat' at the entrance directing passengers to the lines. There was a line for those in wheelchairs. I did notice one couple there without a wheelchair, so I'd suggest speaking up if you have mobility problems.

For boarding with mobility problems, we've found Ft. Lauderdale to be much easier. You are dealing with HAL right away there. At Canada Place you are dealing with their people until you get past security and immigration. From our experiences there, to put it politely, Canada Place sucks - unless you have your own wheelchair. We've boarded/disembarked with a rollator, it still sucks. That is why DH decided not to go with me this time.

Roger, I know things have changed since you stayed there. Last year I stayed there and I had to take my luggage to a designated spot on the lobby level of the hotel. The next time I saw it, it was in my room.:)

Roger, I know things have changed since you stayed there. Last year I stayed there and I had to take my luggage to a designated spot on the lobby level of the hotel. The next time I saw it, it was in my room.:)

That is a bummer. We will be going out on the Noordam next year and we hope it is back to the old way by then.

It sounds like the Bell Captains were not getting the prepaid tips.

In another post you said:

report to the HAL rep sitting in the hotel lobby across from the Reception desk,

>SNIP<

You will have to ask at the Hotel Reception Desk.

My last question was specifically about reporting to the HAL rep. I don't understand why I'd need to ask at the Hotel Reception Desk.

We have made independent arrangements for this hotel (not with HAL). Does the HAL rep care or not that we will be boarding the ship? I'm pretty certain the Hotel Reception Desk will not care.

So does anyone know if we do or do not need to visit the HAL rep once we are ready to leave the hotel?

I the past the lower level boarding is only used if there are 3 ships in. It happened to my mom when she went through. Recently they have being using the convention centre for the check in hall as it would have enough room for all 3 ships to have a check in and waiting room. then passengers will clear security and customs in waves to minimize standing in line on the boarding level. They will have signs directing you to the check in hall at the Convention Centre. Bag drop is also at the same spot. as the checkin the convention centre is on the same level where you would enter the hotel from the street. Looking at the schedule for Friday they will not need to use the convention centre as there are only 2 ships at Canada Place. the 3rd one will dack at Ballentyne pier on friday