Best Specialty Resteraunt on Freedom ?

Hey there,

Well since we are Embarking the day of our 19th wedding Anniversary I want to have a nice dinner one of the nights in one of the specialty resteraunts onboard Freedom. Also,since we have never been on this ship is why I am asking others that have what resteraunt would be a good one to have our Anniv dinner at ?Thanks for the help and recommendations, see you onboard :)

Actually booked Portofino for our 25th anniversary dinner and then cancelled it once we looked at the menu. Have Chops booked later in the week...seems like too much of a hassle to change things now...but wish I had booked Chops for that evening...

I myself enjoy eating steak over chicken but hubby loves chicken, so for these resteraunts what are the food choices like ? Price?

Prices seem to be changing and people are reporting varying prices. Portofino is $20 or $25 per person. Chops is $30 or $35 per person.

Chops: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/chops.pdf

Portofino: http://media.royalcaribbean.com/content/shared_assets/pdf/menus/portofino.pdf

Note that the first half of the Portofino menu is lunch and the second half is dinner.

Edited by clarea

Hey there,

Well since we are Embarking the day of our 19th wedding Anniversary I want to have a nice dinner one of the nights in one of the specialty resteraunts onboard Freedom. Also,since we have never been on this ship is why I am asking others that have what resteraunt would be a good one to have our Anniv dinner at ?Thanks for the help and recommendations, see you onboard :)

Its all depending on tastes and styles. We went in Chops last September and had a great meal. Best steak for a long while (10oz Fillet) but I saw reviews that criticised it??

Its down to your own personal tastes. Chops is $35 per head extra, but in my mind, was worth it. :)

Specifically to Freedom, I've only been on Chops. I love the view up there and that would be great for an anniversary dinner. Does Portofino's have a similar view?

Yes, same view, just on the opposite side of the ship.

I have been on the FOS and LOS (sister ships) many times, and I have to say this is a very easy question, the answer is definitely Portofino!

We found Chops declining the past two plus years from what it used to be, they even have a new updated Chops menu aboard some of the ships (I believe only the Navigator right now) which they took away the large Filet mignon, the porterhouse, NY Strip and a few other items including sides and replaced it with more costly saving food items such as the macaroni and cheese, gator tots, french fries and a steak burger! You still can get the NY Strip, large Filet Mignon and Porterhouse but have to pay a fee over 18.00 more on top of the fee you paid to get in!

Most ships remain to have the older menu but we found the quality is not like it used to be years ago.

We ALWAYS prefer Portofinio's and always have a perfect meal overall. Portofino's also has a very good steak (such as beef tenderloin or T-Bone steak) so if you opt for steak you can get a really good one there, I know because I had the steak there two years ago and it was better than Chops!

You have got to try the sampler dessert platter in Portofino's one of the best I ever had and there are so many appetizers to choose from oh my gosh I starving!

Just got off the Freedom and as the previous poster said, Portifino's is the better choice.

We did both restaurants and had a better meal at Portifino's. At Chops we had a rather tasteless petite filet. At Portifino DH had Ossobucco and I had lamb chops. Both meals were delicious.

Don't know if this would be the same on other ships but this is what we found on the Freedom.

Edited by jebl

We actually enjoyed both. The filet I had in Chops was outstanding and the seafood skewer I had in Portifino was very good! Everybody can give an opinion on what they like better, but I would suggest taking a look at both menus and then make a decision based on what you see see that you like. As I said we enjoyed both and would do both and would do both again if we are on a cruise that has both, but unfortunately our next cruise which is on Adventure has neither! :(

Food is a subjective thing.

But, on the Liberty (same class as Freedom), we tried both Chops and Portofinos in March.

Hands down: Chops is a much better meal for us. Especially for the desserts - in our opinion, chops had a more appealing selection - ended up getting the Red Velvet Cake - and it was great!

In fact, I would not eat at Portofinos again. But, everyone is different.

Both Chops and Portofino are very good. I give the edge to Portofino because I like the menu better, but I think you will enjoy either one. If you can only go to one, pick the menu you like best. Enjoy!!!:)

We went to Chops last week on the Freedom and all had an excellent meal. I had the filet, my daughter had the baked Alaskan halibat and my parents had the NY strip. The sides were great as well, we ordered a BUNCH of them ;) and enjoyed everyone one. I didn't love the caesar salad, but the other appetizers were all really good, and dessert was wonderful. We had table 41, and the view was lovely, we watched the sun set, and the service was good. I'd recommend it for sure.