MSC Unlimited drink packages - Who is receiving the gratuity?

cruiselover87

I recently came back from a 7 night cruise on the MSC Divina, April 19th-26th, 2014.

My girlfriend and I purchased the Allegrissimo Classic drink package, $318 Per Person. There is a 15% gratuity that is supposedly built in if you purchase prior to sailing, if purchased while on the ship you pay $318 + 15% or $365 per person.

Even though the gratuity is supposedly included in the drink package, the bartenders do not receive a dime of it, so my question for MSC is why are we paying the gratuity for the drink package and if the hard working bartenders are not receiving it who is?

If you purchase a drink package on carnival, Norwegian or RCL every drink you purchase has a gratuity on the bottom of the bill, a set amount that each bartender receives, however, on MSC there is no such gratuity on the bill.

So I asked at least 10 bartenders if they receive any of the gratuity from the drink package and every one of them emphatically stated "no". Most of the responses were prefaced by a smirk or a laugh. Some of the responses I received when asking if they receive tips from the unlimited drink packgaes were:

"There is a reason they are referred to as the "Mafia Shipping Company""

"I dont know who is receiving the gratuity but we dont see a time of it"

I recently came back from a 7 night cruise on the MSC Divina, April 19th-26th, 2014.

My girlfriend and I purchased the Allegrissimo Classic drink package, $318 Per Person. There is a 15% gratuity that is supposedly built in if you purchase prior to sailing, if purchased while on the ship you pay $318 + 15% or $365 per person.

Even though the gratuity is supposedly included in the drink package, the bartenders do not receive a dime of it, so my question for MSC is why are we paying the gratuity for the drink package and if the hard working bartenders are not receiving it who is?

If you purchase a drink package on carnival, Norwegian or RCL every drink you purchase has a gratuity on the bottom of the bill, a set amount that each bartender receives, however, on MSC there is no such gratuity on the bill.

So I asked at least 10 bartenders if they receive any of the gratuity from the drink package and every one of them emphatically stated "no". Most of the responses were prefaced by a smirk or a laugh. Some of the responses I received when asking if they receive tips from the unlimited drink packgaes were:

First, let's dispense with the naivety. 'Tips', 'gratuities', etc., pay the wages. If there is any excess the staff receive it and if there is a shortfall the company makes it up. This is the cruise industry norm.

From my many discussions on this point on multiple MSC ships, there is no difference in a drinks order financially to a member of staff between a pay-as-you-go guest and an all-included guest.

To think that this is this is the full 15% is again naive.

Whatever incentive there is to serve a drink is just the same regardless of whether a guest is on a drinks package or not. If anything, those on all-inclusive get better service because they are 'soft targets'.

So the response is "do you get paid?"

They do.

Edited by Skipper Tim

I wonder if that came from the same person who said the same to me albeit on a different ship!

I heard it from two different people, I think its their recurring joke!

We heard a variety of answers from a variety of different bartenders. Some said they receive a portion while others said they receive nothing. Does MSC call the 15% a service charge or a gratuity?

We heard a variety of answers from a variety of different bartenders. Some said they receive a portion while others said they receive nothing. Does MSC call the 15% a service charge or a gratuity?

In English, MSC call it a 'service charge'. But then you would not find the word 'gratuity' used in English English. To my ears it sounds like a crime. I can imagine "gratuitous agrevation' - e.g. offering a tip/bribe - adding at least ten years to any sentence

Edited by Skipper Tim

If you are so worried about bartenders why you did not tip extra? :rolleyes:

I'm just curious as to why someone is worried about whether or not the bartenders are getting a cut of the action? i pay what I am asked to pay and MSC can figure out who gets what (if anything).

Agreed - I just know what I overheard in the lounges - it was such a popular topic for people to ask. I find it really weird, tbh, to ask anyone what their salary is - including tips. I would not like it if someone was asking me such a personal question.

I do think though - that for the most part - people just want to know if they should be tipping, tipping more/less etc and they think by asking that question they will figure out an answer. I don't think people want to be seen as cheap - and also since most people assume the service charge is being given to employees they feel cheated if it is not.

I paid a $12 day service charge, plus 15% on any drinks I purchased - I honestly did not worry about who that went to because I figured I would tip people who exceeded my expectation or provided superior service - whether or not they were getting part of either service charge. This is my way of thinking on MSC and to each their own of course

Edited by Help@

MSC have a strict policy of discouraging personal tipping.

1) MSC are Italian and have mostly European guests who do not tip except for exceptional, beyond the call of duty, service.

2) MSC want to extract the 'daily hotel charge' from as many guests as possible.

3) Personal tips will on average equate to less an automatic service charge.

As with most cruise lines, the service charge pays the wages. If the staff do better than expected, they receive the benefit, otherwise the company makes it up to their contractual wages.

That is how it is.

Edited by Skipper Tim

MSC have a strict policy of discouraging personal tipping.

1) MSC are Italian and have mostly European guests who do not tip except for exceptional, beyond the call of duty, service.

2) MSC want to extract the 'daily hotel charge' from as many guests as possible.

3) Personal tips will on average equate to less an automatic service charge.

As with most cruise lines, the service charge pays the wages. If they staff do better than expected, they receive the benefit, otherwise the company makes it up to their contractual wages.

That is how it is.

It is discouraged you are correct. There is no where to write an extra tip on your drink slips, for example.

It has been stated somewhere that the positions we in the US would normally view as tipped are hourly roles on these cruise lines. For instance, a server on land (using Florida as an example), gets $4.91 minimum wage, as opposed to the $7.75 a non-tipped role would get.

So aboard ship, the salaries are probably similar for a bartender as compared to say, a member of the excursions desk team.

It doesn't stop me from tipping bar staff, but I realize it's not the only way they make their living. (cannot undo growing up in a restaurant business family, they get tips)

In our travels through Europe over the years, tipping was rare by Europeans!

I've seen servers puzzled by my leaving extra for them!

The Divina is advertised as a European Style Cruise, but you may tip in cash for service you appreciate! We will!

I would suggest that if you want American style service(crew acting like they are your friend), you might want to tip early in your cruise, because European style service is not in your face, they don't push you to buy, and they are not part of your cruise family, they are there to work(acting like they are your friend is not in their job description), which many Americans view as poor service!

It may be service you don't like, but it isn't poor service(in the rest of the world), and it is appreciated by many who like the European Style of service which separates crew from passengers! Mingling with passengers(socially) is usually limited to Officers!

That's not to say you won't find crew who have a friendly personality, and at least you'll know its real, not a put on for tips!

Edited by American Bear

In our travels through Europe over the years, tipping was rare by Europeans!

I've seen servers puzzled by my leaving extra for them!

The Divina is advertised as a European Style Cruise, but you may tip in cash for service you appreciate! We will!

I would suggest that if you want American style service(crew acting like they are your friend), you might want to tip early in your cruise, because European style service is not in your face, they don't push you to buy, and they are not part of your cruise family, they are there to work(acting like they are your friend is not in their job description), which many Americans view as poor service!

It may be service you don't like, but it isn't poor service(in the rest of the world), and it is appreciated by many who like the European Style of service which separates crew from passengers! Mingling with passengers(socially) is usually limited to Officers!

That's not to say you won't find crew who have a friendly personality, and at least you'll know its real, not a put on for tips!

American Bear, I agree exactly with what you say.

However, I suspect either you or your audience think this behaviour of MSC staff is wrong. I think it is totally correct. Then I am English.

I have seen guests who don't know how to use a knife and fork and find that reprehensible. Each to their own.

American Bear, I agree exactly with what you say.

However, I suspect either you or your audience think this behavior of MSC staff is wrong. I think it is totally correct. Then I am English.

I have seen guests who don't know how to use a knife and fork and find that reprehensible. Each to their own.

We actually enjoy the more laid back approach of European service!

We view the service as respect rather then poor service!

This was my first cruise. Here on CC, many others were complaining about the service in the MDRs, but husband and I loved how no one hovered over us. As a result of enjoying this type of service so much, we're now a bit leery of cruising on other lines. I believe in being friendly to those who help us, but I don't want them to pretend to be my friend.

Once we found our preferred drink (language barrier, I suppose, first two days we couldn't find Southern Comfort), the bartender took note. Mind you, he was in the Sports Bar serving us the drink of the day at the time. Later that night, he saw us in La Luna and came over and said "I have your drink!". From then on, the servers and that wonderful bartender just kept supplying our SoCo and ginger ale.

I've heard of people on another cruise line asking for the same servers over and over, then sending FB friend requests to them. That's kind of strange to me. I will seek out the team at La Luna (and the Sports Bar) early on if we're on the Divina for the next CTTE, though.

Agreed - I just know what I overheard in the lounges - it was such a popular topic for people to ask. I find it really weird, tbh, to ask anyone what their salary is - including tips. I would not like it if someone was asking me such a personal question.

I do think though - that for the most part - people just want to know if they should be tipping, tipping more/less etc and they think by asking that question they will figure out an answer. I don't think people want to be seen as cheap - and also since most people assume the service charge is being given to employees they feel cheated if it is not.

I paid a $12 day service charge, plus 15% on any drinks I purchased - I honestly did not worry about who that went to because I figured I would tip people who exceeded my expectation or provided superior service - whether or not they were getting part of either service charge. This is my way of thinking on MSC and to each their own of course

I Began to inquire about the tips after some of the bartenders seemed to act a tad rude towards me, or generally unfriendly. You didn't experience this because you didn't have the drink package and the bartenders were receiving 15% gratuity on every drink you purchased. It started to feel like I was a bother to them whenever I placed my drink order and in return I was tipping , making the $316 drink package, with gratuity included, much more expensive then I had anticipated.

But back to the subject at hand, does anyone know if the 15% is a “gratuity” or “service charge” and if the bartenders as I suspect aren’t receiving the 15% who is?

I Began to inquire about the tips after some of the bartenders seemed to act a tad rude towards me, or generally unfriendly. You didn't experience this because you didn't have the drink package and the bartenders were receiving 15% gratuity on every drink you purchased. It started to feel like I was a bother to them whenever I placed my drink order and in return I was tipping , making the $316 drink package, with gratuity included, much more expensive then I had anticipated.

But back to the subject at hand, does anyone know if the 15% is a “gratuity” or “service charge” and if the bartenders as I suspect aren’t receiving the 15% who is?

I have to ask. How is it in any way your business what someone else earns?

The service charge is included in the drinks package if you buy it pre cruise. If you buy it on board it is added to the total price. If you don't have a drinks package then each individual purchase is subject to a 15% service charge.

There is also a daily hotel charge. It doesn't take a genius to figure that "service charge" is for the staff of the ship that serve people and the "hotel charge" is for staff that run the hotel/ship (cabin attendants etc)

If you think they deserve individual recognition then by all means provide it. But demanding to know where the money you pay goes is, IMHO, crass. I have interacted with many MSC employees, some who I've tipped and some who I haven't. All of them have given excellent levels of service irrespective of if I was on a drinks package or not. So being on the drinks package is not the reason you were getting what you thought was rude service.

You were more likely getting the correct service for the environment you were in but not what you expected. You do not get the faux chummy "Hey you guys" OMG you're so funny, smiley service on MSC. You get professional courteous and friendly service. Not auditions to be your new friend.

I have to ask. How is it in any way your business what someone else earns?

The service charge is included in the drinks package if you buy it pre cruise. If you buy it on board it is added to the total price. If you don't have a drinks package then each individual purchase is subject to a 15% service charge.

There is also a daily hotel charge. It doesn't take a genius to figure that "service charge" is for the staff of the ship that serve people and the "hotel charge" is for staff that run the hotel/ship (cabin attendants etc)

If you think they deserve individual recognition then by all means provide it. But demanding to know where the money you pay goes is, IMHO, crass. I have interacted with many MSC employees, some who I've tipped and some who I haven't. All of them have given excellent levels of service irrespective of if I was on a drinks package or not. So being on the drinks package is not the reason you were getting what you thought was rude service.

You were more likely getting the correct service for the environment you were in but not what you expected. You do not get the faux chummy "Hey you guys" OMG you're so funny, smiley service on MSC. You get professional courteous and friendly service. Not auditions to be your new friend.

MooMoo, I am proud of you. I totally agree in every detail and sentiment. I also commend your honest, Northern bluntness. Let's have more of it on this forum and we will soon kick it into shape.

P.S. Good luck on the Divina :) .

Edited by Skipper Tim

MooMoo, I am proud of you. I totally agree in every detail and sentiment. I also commend your honest, Northern bluntness. Let's have more of it on this forum and we will soon kick it into shape.

Agreed! I can't wait till when she next holds auditions to be her new friend! I'll be there with bells on, and a chummy smile. I'm even going to learn how to make towel animals beforehand!

P.S. Good luck on the Divina :) .

Thanks Tim. :)

I'm sure Mr Moo and I will fare well on the Divina. Mainly because:

A) We've been on the Preziosa (identical ship)

B) We've cruised with MSC before

C) We've done a "Grand Voyage" with MSC before

D) We've met and interacted with people from all five continents so won't be amazed and astounded that people are different according to where they live.

E) We don't sweat the small stuff.

It'll be a lovely three weeks of relaxation and recuperation. I'm destressing just thinking about it!